1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: Athlon II CPU-Z screenshot revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

I have a feeling that these triple core Athlon II's could make a big splash in the OEM market if placed under $100 (which seems likely as the Phenom 8450 X3 is only selling for around $79 in the US). I mean look at how well the X3 720 competes in the midrange against the E8400. I can picture the same thing happening in the low end CPUs.

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

This could be a decisive win for AMD if these chips turn out at a reasonable price and prove to be as good performers as expected.

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Well, the question we really need to ask is how much does the Phenom II really rely on its L3 cache for performance? The need should obviously be somewhat reduced with fewer cores, but the issue is still there if one core has to grab a bit of data from another core's cache or, heaven forbid, out to main memory to do the same.

5. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

sadly I have made my bed with Intel. My Athlon X2 7750BE is my last AMD processor. I only have 1 more upgrade for this desktop and thats an AM2+ motherboard with 3GBs of DDR2 1066.

6. christoefar

christoefar What's a Dremel?

What, forever?

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

the high end amd cpus are no intrest to me as thay are to hot , only intrested in 45w cpus (or 65w CPUS are cool runners) the X2 phenom 95w is to hot and there 65w 2.7ghz cpus run to hot, this is default heat sink, talking about heat sink if AMD keep putting noisey fans with there cpus (the fan makes an catching noise when its spinning like Most thermaltake fans do it as well) i may had just go with intel

the trade place i get my parts form is now getting the X2 LE-1640 (EE 45w cpu) agane at last but intresting its still at 2.7ghz so hope it runs cooler then the X2 5200+ 2.7 ghz (65w) , 7750 X2 phenom is an joke 95w at 2.8ghz runs quite hot,

i Prefer AMD over intel is for the case asus barbone i get has VGA, DVI, HDMI, firewire, 8 USB ports, amd chipset , the intel ones cost more then £10-£20 and comes with an crapy IGP lower USB ports and no DVI, Nvidia one better IGP but no HDMI or DVI less USB ports no firewire)

Last edited: 3 May 2009
  8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I don't really know what AMD's product chart looks like, or their naming conventions, but aren't the Phenoms the top line chips? Seems a bit daft to be complaining about the high end chips when clearly that is not what you are wanting. You might as well complain about Intel's i7 chips being so hot as well, since they push past 100w.

9. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I don't think it's an invalid criticism as consumers have become more focused on performance-per-watt (and per-£ too!) in recent years. Just another direction the industry is moving in, focusing on high energy efficiency etc.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

That is true, but there are chip lines out there that address those desires. And then there is also the high end line, for people who do not need to worry about money, heat or performance. It seems silly to me to criticise one line for not being the other; they both exist, so why not just deal with the one that best suits your needs?

11. Goty

Goty Minimodder

People wouldn't have anything to complain about if they used logic!

12. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

AMD's 45nm CPU's run incredibly cool. My 720BE idles around 28*C on a dusty stock cooler.... thats a good 5*C cooler than the old E6600 used to run on a Tuniq Tower.

13. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Skiddywinks: well. people want top of the line performance and energy efficiency at the same time. We want it all these days. Time for manufacturers to get with the programme!

Maybe they should start looking at quantum computing.

Tags: Add Tags