1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Scam warning. www.yourube.com.

Discussion in 'General' started by dullonien, 29 Mar 2011.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

This is just a quick warning to hopefully stop anyone getting suckered into this.

Just now, I went to browse youtube, but accidentally, without realising, started typing www .your.... into my IE9 adress bar, sinse IE9 automatically fills in known websites I saw what I thought was www .youtube.com automatically entered and pressed enter. Of course I didn't enter youtube, instead I entered a scam website: www .yourube.com which pops up a message saying 'today is our 6th birthday', pressing ok on this leads you to a page with the message:

and asks you to select a prize (macbook air, iphone 4 or iPad 2). Once you've selected a 'prize' it asks for your mobile number to let you know if you win, but of course really signs you up to funmobile (or something similar) which sends you text after text and charges you £1.50 per text.

Now, I'm cautious enough not to have given them any information, and quickly realised that this had nothing to do with youtube. But I was fooled at first, simply because I hadn't realised I'd typed the wrong letter, r instead of t!

Just a quick warning, incase anyone does something similar, afterall it's an easy mistake to make. A little annoyed that Microsoft are auto-completing such a site, not sure if other browsers will aswell.

Edit. Had to add spaces between the www part of the link and the rest otherwise it automatically changed it to a link no matter how many times I removed the [url ] [ /url] brackets, or pressed the 'Remove link' button.

Further edit. A little further research showed that www. youtbue.com also leads you to the same thing. I'm sure there's plenty more, and for other misspelling of websites, first time I've really come across it though.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2011
  2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The only 'free' prize you can ever get from the internet is a visit from the police or maybe Chris Hansen.

3. dullonien

Very true. Thought it was worth posting, although I know 99% of the posters here would never get suckered, but even if it helps 1 person I'm happy.

4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Do you reckon Chris Hansen will give me his autograph :3

5. dullonien

I'm a little surprised that a site as big as youtube hasn't bought all the 'miss spelt' domain names and linked them back to them. Don't large sites usually do this?

Give it a try, what's the worst that can happen by signing up to shed loads of scams?

Disclaimer, dullonien does not condone anyone signing up to any scam intentionally in hope of a visit from Chris Hansen.

6. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Especially with T and R right next to each other on the keyboard

Shed loads of scam to meet Chris Hansen? Easy choice, Chris Hansen all the way!

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes, but if the owners won't sell them then what can the proper owners do?

8. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

YouRube - what a fitting name for a scam site...

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

there is a facebook one too which is very similar but i forgot what i typed

10. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

OMG There's only 2 iPad 2's left!

Snagged mine!

[​IMG]

11. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

faceebook.com