1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Scientists chide DS endorsing celebs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

Whist I doubt they will make your brain "younger" , Surely there is benefit to be had playing these logic, maths etc type puzzles...

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it is bloody fun and it is good for the brain.... what else do you want?

4. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Studies have shown that regularly doing puzzles like in these game can help prevent things like Alzheimer's when you get older. Keeping your brain actively thinking and problem solving keeps your brain sharp.

5. Mufasa

Mufasa What's a Dremel?

How much of their brain do you think the average American uses? It is at least causing those fat kids to think and learn a little... so the next time I go to McDonalds they can give me correct change.

Also... I hate you Bit-Tech... I'll be singing the damn Captain Picard song for the rest of the day...

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I don't think there is any particular scientific basis to those games --apart from the "use it or lose it" factor. But I don't think neuro-scientists have to feel threatened by it. I mean, we know it's just a game, right? Right? :worried:

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I think the arguement they failed to express was that it keeps your brain young. It doesn't. Your brain keeps aging. All the puzzles do is make you better and quicker at solving similar puzzles. Can't argue with that really, can you?

Wait, this is bit-tech. Of course you can! ;)

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

mmmm.... Nicole.......

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

IT'S THE FEELING DAMNIT NOT THE SCIENCE!

Why can't scientists read before commenting?

Also, it's Dr Kawashima ;)

10. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I think these brain games are great. Not only do they help younger kids in school (have you tried the speed multiplication in Brain Age?) I really believe it helps adults be more "mentally aware" . As DougEdey quoted, it keeps your mind FEELING youg. When's the last time you saw a successful learning game?

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Actually, games used during lessons to improve awareness works really well, especially with languages. My mums site (I can provide the link if people want a look) gives kids games that she's found/produced and have been proven in a classroom environment to work.

I've seen rowdy kids actually enjoy answering questions.

12. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

how often do you find yourself saying after any kind of mentally tasking task (for want of a better word), and saying 'my brain feels younger'. In fact, other than headaches, when do you ever feel anything in your brain? Daft statement Nicky, sort it out!

13. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

they do it `cause they get paid **** loads too. I know I would say it weather it worked or not if they gave me half the money she`s getting........... Man I could probably retire.

Tags: Add Tags