1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Side Burner

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Frode Bergeton Nilsen, 27 Apr 2021.

1. Frode Bergeton Nilsen

Frode Bergeton Nilsen Minimodder

This is my signature build. It has a mile long story, and has wandered through a ton of iterations. There is no point trying to explain this design and its origins, as there is far too much to write about. This is not an ordinary mod or design.

For almost every thing about this build, I had to develop solutions from scratch, as there is no industry making anything like this. This design is commercially viable and reproducible, two key aspects that kills most of the techniques I find other people use.

The main design consist of three main layers
    1. Frame
    2. Track
    3. Cover
    The design is modular, and can be scaled to fit smaller versions, with less insane cooling. The main modules are
    1. Frame
    2. Motherboard
    3. Cable channel
    4. PSU
    5. Bottom Covers
    6. Top IO
    7. Rads
    8. Controllers
    9. Pump
    10. Filters
    This is a water cooling build. There is no stacking of heat, and airflow is optimal. There is minimal airflow restrictions. The build can be fully filtered as well. At the heart of the cooling, there is a 2880 rad and three D5 pumps in series. The design is highly specialized for filling, bleeding, and draining the loop.

People need to understand that if printed on a regular 3D printer, it would take about two full months to print this build: If you print day and night, using one 3D printer the ordinary way.

It is possible for a normal man to lift and carry this build. It is a bit on the heavy side, so it is not recommended to to carry it too far at a time. One man can service this build, no need to be two people for maintenance.

Main cooling hardware:
    [​IMG]

The frame:
    [​IMG]
    This post will be updated regularly.

Cheapskate likes this.
  2. Frode Bergeton Nilsen

The frame

[​IMG]

The frame is a rough but solid construction. Given the small build volume of a 3D printer, it is a puzzle of parts, joined by using plastic and printed m14 bolts. The nuts are embedded into the parts. Due to all sorts of inherent flaws of 3D printing, particularly warping, the accuracy is not the greatest. The three layer technique, is used to compensate for the need for great tolerance for the frame, and to cover up all the nuts ont the exterior of the build. Most of the embedded nuts are embedded into the frame and the MB section. There is a ton of tapping work, as every hole is tapped to ensure correct tolerances.

The frame is fairly rugged. There is some flex, but when the MB, cable channels, PSU, and rads are added, there is little flex in the build. This allows for slim filters to be added, and there is no structural role to fill, for the filters.

I have not been able to find anyone using any technique remotely similar to this. I find this strange, as this is the natural route to go, give the nature of the plastic. Please share, if you know of work similar to this. It is a pure pain doing this ground up, like I have.

Cheapskate likes this.
  3. Frode Bergeton Nilsen

The Feet
    The feet has been a Challenge for some time now. I need the frame to elevated, as the external cabling runs through the chassis and exist at the bottom. There need to be a generous clearance, to offer sufficient usability. At the same time, a water cooled PC is tilted when drained and filled, which result in great forces being asserted on the feet.

[​IMG]

A foot is fastened by three m14 bolts, while the sock is supposed to be flex plastic, but I have yet to fix the flex printing issue of mine. The sock is printed in PETG for now. The sock is fastened by a m24 bolt. No tapping is needed for a thread that size.

[​IMG]

I have chosen to integrate some tracks straight into the feet, but there is a ton of tolerance and printing like this would not work in general.

[​IMG]

The foot is now part of a side pillar, and integrated visually into that pillar.

There is an issue with this design, and that is the lack of sources that discuss malleability of elastic filaments. PLA is a no go for commercial use, due to its malleability. It still do not prevent a ton of people using PLA the wrong way, and for purposes that will simply not work, not matter what magic people claim to perform. When it comes to elastic filament, I cannot find any informed sourcing on malleability. 98 grade hard rubber, seems safe, but that is just a wild guess. The lack of information on such critical information on filaments, just indicate the state of the industry, which appear to be sloppy with the quality control of their designs. If this is hidden in some syntax or someone knows how to figure this out, please share.

Next is the MB section. Hopefully I get it done tomorrow.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's more radiator than most cars have. :lol:
    The problem is the print community is still labeled as a 'hobby'. You don't need an industry standard or regulation for hobby stuff.