1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Sleeving Peripheral Cables? (Headset)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mat0tam, 4 Jan 2012.

1. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Thinking of sleeving my headset, and maybe Keyboard, Mic and Mouse

Can I simply Cut, Sleeve, Solder + Heat shrink like standard wires?
    Would be useful to if people could point out if I can maybe do for one or more but not for say headset due to cable type :)

Thanks

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Most sleeving will open out far enough to go straight over the connectors, so no need to cut anything off and a lot of heat shrink is 4:1 so that should go on as well.

3. mat0tam

Hmm Ive got some 3mm sleeving for a 3mm cable, and my headpone jack is the issue as its like 12mm :(

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Heatshrink is very cheap on ebay few quid buys you a yard so it's no great issue. Might want to get glue-lined heatshrink tubing though so that it stays in place once shrunk. The actual sleeving will be an issue though, I can't imagine anything smaller than ~5-6mm will expand over the headphone jack, that'll be a trickier one to work around unless you can chop the plug & resolder it ( maybe with a smaller 3.5mm jack connector + larger adaptor ).

5. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

solder off jack (if it could be disassembled), sleeve what You want, solder jack back. don't forget to mark wires You un-soldering for proper re-soldering :)

if jack couldn't be disassembled: before cutting away old jack find which wire goes to which ear (simply try any AA battery (-) to ground wire (+) for wire) and after sleeving solder appropriate jack.
    and You can always reverse channels in Your audiopanel :)

6. mat0tam

Awesome Thankyou :)