1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi So, what are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 29 Apr 2014.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

The graphics look pretty, sure, but I can put up with lower-quality graphics if the game is worth it. Inventory management still seems to be a complete and utter pig. Combat and mechanics feel.... pretty much the same, TBH. The Mako is still a bouncy and at times unwieldy bitch, but it's a lot more fun hooning around in it than I remember.

I haven't played the original properly in a very long time though, so it's hard for me to make a direct comparison. But it's still Mass Effect, so I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.

Hamfunk, Pete J and boiled_elephant like this.
  2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Thanks to @mrMonkeyChunks I've played a bit of Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice. I can see why it's very divisive game, but I'm honestly in the "The game good except the glyph puzzles ruin pacing a bit" side of the discussion.

Byron C likes this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah the puzzle stuff threw me a little at first, sometimes they're really not obvious. I rarely found myself absolutely stumped, and when I did it wasn't for very long.

I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed Hellblade. Couldn't play it for more than a couple of hours at a time though, it really got into my head sometimes... Can't wait for the sequel to be done; I'm especially looking forward to the soundtrack as Ninja Theory are working with Heilung, one of my absolute favourite groups. Every time I see the trailer I get properly hyped - these days it's quite rare for a game to elicit that kind of reaction.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Can confirm, hooning about in the Mako was 90% of the original game's appeal, particularly in the mission segments where you could use it against enemies.

Deeply saddened to hear the inventory and gear system is the same though.

Edit - if you guys have the chance to try Hellblade in VR, it's a staggeringly good experience. My poster child game for how good VR can be. The use of surround sound gives me the creeps.

5. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

How's it for motion sickness? with normal movement and that.

6. boiled_elephant

Surprisingly great, I am extremely susceptible to VR sickness (main reason I don't use it often) and can't deal with sliding motion or anything PoV - even Elite Dangerous is too much for me.

Hellblade handles it really cleverly, the camera floats in 3rd person and you can flick it around to different rotational angles around the character, with a fade-to-black cut each time. This made it a total non-issue for me.

The main thing is how well the game positions the camera in cutscenes (with letterboxing to minimize the sensation of sliding motion) along with crazy effective use of surround sound for all the atmospherics and Senua's voices. It suits the framing device so well because you legit feel like you are playing as one of the voices, rather than as Senua herself, floating around, watching her, trying to coax her away from deadly mistakes and direct her attention towards hidden 'signs'.

The way 3rd person VR and headphone surround sound mesh with the schizoid framing device is just [italian chef kiss] mwah. Perfection.

Omnislip likes this.
  7. creative

creative 500rwhp

Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition.

RTX gpu only version. Its ok, better than metro redux I last played.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Gears 5 (again)

Playing this coop is quite frankly, unsurpassed. My friend and I have decided we're going to try different playstyles. This playthrough, no relic weapons allowed! Also, I swear the last few updates have improved the already gorgeous graphics.

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I spent 4 hours building a house the other night without realising...the Mrs came to find me in the end!

Byron C likes this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

When you initially posted this I did not have a VR headset. I now have a VR headset (again) and I thoroughly agree with this! Although my poster child for VR is still Elite: Dangerous :grin: . I haven't dug that back out yet, been too busy with Beat Saber!

Ironically it was the other way around for me - my other half was the one that got me hooked on it!

boiled_elephant likes this.
  11. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

How do you control Senua in VR? Is it just a normal controller? If it is then how do you move around?
    I think I'm asking if you can sit playing the game or do you have to set the room up?

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You can use a regular controller. I haven't tried it sitting down yet, but it doesn't need a lot of room if you play it standing.

13. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Deep Rock Galactic

My wife was lured into playing, and she got me playing it.

Hex likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Half Life: Alyx

Absolutely fantastic game, and absolutely a lesson in how to do VR well.

Mr Happy likes this.
  15. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Not long after this game, I sold my VR.

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, since Civ 6 Platinum was part of the Humble deal this month (and I'd already paid for it) I decided to give it a go.

I got Civ 6 (base game) free somewhere - might have been Humble too - ages ago, and hated it. The complete package has done nothing to further draw me in.

I still hate it.

Oh well. Back to Civ 5 (Steam) or Civ 4 (GOG).

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Tried Star Wars Squadrons in VR last night with my cheap T.Flight HOTAS 4.

HO-LEE CRAAAAAP IT'S SO AWESOME! Big ****-eating grin from ear to ear when buzzing an X-Wing around a star destroyer in VR.

What ISN'T awesome however is wearing the VR headset. In a room that gets very warm. While the weather is quite warm. In front of a computer that chucks out warm air. With a VR HMD that gets warm. While wearing headphones. Yeah. Gross. I've already swapped the fabric padding for PU-leather padding on the HMD, and I wear a sports skull cap to wick sweat away better.

18. boiled_elephant

VR is for the depths of winter, I've decided.

Byron C likes this.
  19. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz What's a Dremel?

I am playing Strat-O-Matic Baseball on PC. Taking a breaking from playing Replay Baseball on PC.

20. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Not had a huge amount of videogame time between the number of D&D games I'm now running, but I've been mostly dipping in and out of Subnautica: Below Zero. It's a good game but many of the areas feel either unfinished or completely forgotten about, some of the UI choices break my brain a little (like how the module recipes aren't always where you expect them to be).

I still jump into No Man's Sky for a couple of hours each week, it's probably becoming one of my most played games after the Elder Scrolls series... probably because it's easy to pick up where you left off, warp to a new location and explore.

It's not quite a game, but I've been messing about in TaleSpire a fair bit. It's a really good bit of software for creating dungeons, settlements and buildings for tabletop style games. Still a ways to go before it becomes something to use for actually running a game though.