1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks [Solved]Extreme lag in all online gaming sessions >.<

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Aracos, 15 Jul 2009.

1. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Hi, as the title suggest I'm having a REALLY bad problem, making playing online on my PC absolutely pointless, what usually happens is I get a good 2 second input lag followed by everybody on the map (usually including me) teleporting all over the place, I've tried lot's of games, Fear Combat, UT3, etc. Here's a vid of how bad the teleporting is Click me :). I've tried sorting it but I just can't find a way to stop the lag T_T I've opened all ports required by the games I'm playing, I've set my comp as a DMZ server, I've turned off my router firewall ENTIRELY and even tried switching wireless devices (PCI to USB). Now I know people will ask about connection and I get a good 90+ signal on linux constantly, 54Mbps constantly, on windows I get "Very Good" Signal with 54Mbps constantly and yet my games still lag =\

EDIT: BTW the video was taken at 3AM where I get a good 50KB/s upload and 800KB/s+ download so I don't see it being my connection speed and also notice my ping at the end of the vid. :sigh:

EDIT: Ok I don't seem to be able to upload to youtube, balls....hmmmmm I'll try again later sorry >.<

Last edited: 22 Jul 2009
  2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I'm guessing wireless lag, Windows polls for local WAPs every 60 seconds or so which causes the drop out.

On XP you can manually configure your wireless connection then disable the wireless zero configuration service.

To Manually configure wireless: Go to Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your wireless adapter and select properties. On the Wireless Networks tab, select 'add' and fill in the details of your wireless network:

* SSID: Network name including case, numbers and symbols if any.
    * Network Authentication/encryption boxes: Open or one of the WPAs (or WEP :nono: )
    * Network Key: uncheck the "This key is provided for me automatically" box below to enter a key.

To disable Wireless Zero Configuration:

* Go to run and type in services.msc
    * Find Wireless Zero Configuration in the list and right click, select properties
    * On the Startup Type change Automatic to Disabled
    * Stop the service (the button)
    * Remember you've done this, if you need to scan for networks in the future, change Disabled to Automatic :thumb:

On Vista, try Vista Anti Lag (VAL):
    http://www.codecase.de/en/software/downloads/folder/17-vista-antilag

Or use Ethernet.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2009
  3. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

Your signal may well be strong, but if you are gaming over a wireless lan it is the time it is taking to get to the Access point that could be an issue.

I briefly gamed over wirelss and "ping"ed the access point to see how long it was taking to reach it. Although the signal was stong, it could sometimes take 30ms to reach the access point; simply re-positioning the aerial on my PCI wireless card could reduce the ping to around 2ms

The ping is calculated from AP to server so if the delay is between your desktop and the AP that is where you lag is occuring.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

The lag is constant not every 60 seconds and I thought I'd ping my router, here are the results as you can see it's usually below 2ms, I monitored it for a while and 4ms came up once but either way that's less than 2 frames at 30FPS which isn't going to be noticeable =\

Also to note, it used to be perfect during gaming, only thing that's changed since then is my ISP and router, orange to virgin and Livebox to Netgear DG834v4.

EDIT: Just to note please try and offer solutions that don't involve going to ethernet, I personally love ethernet but can't use it in the house, my grandma is over 70 and is prone to finding stuff to fall over so trailing a cable from the front room to my bedroom (full length of the house) is highly hazardous :(

5. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Just got on to windows, done as you said, same problem, constant lag, encoding vid to show you now then will upload (getting 0.35FPS with X264 XD).

EDIT: Vid added http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqoDxT-cNdw

Last edited: 16 Jul 2009
  6. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Seeing the video, yep that looks different to the lag spike generated when searching for WAPs.

Just putting ideas out there; try going to Speedtest.net and seeing what speeds you're getting from the UK then Germany (where the server looked to be located.)

If Windows is managing your wireless connection, try downloading the latest connection software from the manufacturer's website and using that instead. While you're at it, grab any driver updates that may be there as well. Fire up speedtest again or jump into a quick game see if there's any noticeable difference.

As BradShort said, the lag may be between your machine and AP, so try moving physical location within the room. There are lots of things that can interfere with wireless; electrical cables, magnets (speakers), microwaves and mobile phones can cause noise. Building materials such as granite or steel reinforcement won't allow the signal to penetrate a wall so the signal ends up bouncing around until it gets to the AP. We have similar environmental problems at work with wireless.

Also, close any program that might be using the connection in the background. I guess running a full AV scan and a sweep with Spybot S&D won't hurt either.

7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

K going away for the weekend so will update on monday/tuesday.

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Right just got back and tested using a wired connection NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL! In L4D me and my teammates would lag every 1-2 seconds followed by plenty of "retrying connection to server" messages usually reconnecting in a second, I AM STUFFED! I have absolutely no idea's what could be the problem, seen as it happens with both a wireless and wired I'm bordering on it before either the router or my connection entirely which I think is taking the piss a bit. Please tell me someone can suggest something that will work at this point T_T

EDIT: I'll point out, it never used to be like this, the only thing that's changed since I can remember having perfect online playability is my ISP (orange to virgin ADSL), my wireless card (inexq PCI from 2005ish to belkin F5D7050UK) and my router (Orange livebox crap to Netgear 834DB or something, the one you get with Virgin broadband).

9. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Sorry to triple post but I think the solution to my problem is one to share, I checked my router logs to find a huge list of DoS attacks, what I noticed was the IP's and ports were the ports of the servers used during games so what I done was instead of disabling my firewall which would keep the DoS and Port Scan protection on I disabled DoS protection from the WAN setup menu, can you guess the results? Absolutely no lag or teleporting during online play on any game. Morale of the story: Don't trust your damn router with your protection :wallbash: I'm using a Netgear DG834Gv4 with the latest firmware so others that may have this issue and this router try disabling DoS protection and you should get flawless online gaming!

B3CK likes this.
  10. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Thanks for the heads up, will have to remember this model and dos protection for future clients :)