1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Some Things Microsoft Can't Fix in Windows 7: Catch 22

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Mar 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

I always wondered how much it would cost MS supplant all the Home > Ultimate nonsense with two completely seperate but compatable OS. One to hold your hand and "Be like XP" and the other ENTIRELY customisable.

3. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

What annoys me on Win7 and Vista is that damn annoying blue 'O' on the cursor.
    Anyone know how to git rid of it or put it back to the hourglass like xp?
    Have Win7 installed at the moment. Its more responsive than Vista but on a downside all it feels like is an optimised Vista... and Vista sucks.

4. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

bogie170 - Control Panel, Mouse, Pointers tab - change away! Or else, open Control Panel, enter 'cursor' into the search box, click the link to 'Change how the mouse pointer looks'. Control Panel search is great.

Guest-16 likes this.
  5. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

"If it ain't bust, don't fix it!"...or make it customizable at least.

6. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

The edge that Apple has over Microsoft is the customers. Apple customers are much more open to change, whereas Microsoft customers hate any kind of change.

W7 makes a lot of great changes to the interface, and is a good balance between ease of use, slickness, and performance.

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I really like the new Windows 7 - except for the messenger icon now appearing in the task bar instead of the system tray even when closed (but still active) it just takes up unnecesary space on the taskbar.

I fall into the category of people who actually liked the Sidebar in Vista and found it handy. The simple answer would have been to include an option to dock gadgets to a side bar or to have them loose on the desktop on a per gadget basis.

Guest-16 likes this.
  8. Major

Major Guest

Customizable 4tfw.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not really, Apple consumers are conditioned and massaged into change by great marketing.

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

TBH I love vista, and windows 7 looked even better untill I heard about all this.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Pff you don't even need to do that. Just do that search in the Start menu. Win key and you are away.. no mouse needed to open that panel :)

@Blademrk, that exactly Windows Vista behavior. Maybe you can copy sidebar file from Vista and port it down to Win7... I mean I was able to port out W7 calculator under Vista! :)

12. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

:hehe:

I agree, also you have to look at the market. There's A LOT more machines running Windows out there than there is Apple. With Windows controlling the majority of the OS market, they have a lot more people to please.

Also there is a lot of business orientated people that DO NOT WANT change.

I've worked in IT for 2 years at my college. I'm beginning to think people are afraid of change. :rolleyes:

It's true in almost any work environment involving the use of a PC. That's why it's so difficult to implement even a simple password policy, because people don't want to change.

13. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I think it's stubborn to say "don't change what ain't broke" as it stops innovation. But FORCING change when it ain't broke is just stupid.

As an example, I'm known for my Excel skills at work and people from all over the building come asking for help. Now, people have Office 2007, and I couldn't help our IT director figure out frivolous things such as move a series into a graph's 2nd Y axis and wasted minutes of the president's son trying to "paste special" and to change macro security options. Come on! As if their time wasn't expensive enough, now we need to pay extra for Office 2007 licenses to waste their time?! We just want to get our work done and even Office97 would have been more time-efficient (and effective, and cheaper)!

If that darn ribbon was optional, maybe I wouldn't hate it as much as I do! :(

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Nicae, that is because you don't want to use your brain and learn stuff.
    Did you try Office help document? Probably not because I learned from experience that a lot of people lose their ability to read when a messages appear or access the help doc.

With JUST the help document I was able to learn Office 2007 Excel in 2 days and discovered a huge amount of new stuff which now simplify my life.

15. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

apple customers open to changed?, for me though OSX has even less customization options compared to any other OS.

@nicae

hmm, honestly, if by now you learned how to use the ribbon, you would see how seemingly it makes alot of office stuff easy to use.

16. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Eh, I'm taking an Office 2007 class because I wanted an easy credit, the professor even asked me what I was doing in there on the first day, lol. And to be honest, I learned 2003 back in high school, 2007 is so much easier to use and intuitive compared to 2003. I'm glad I took this class because it's a nice refresher and an easy way to learn the mystical ribbon. I don't waste my free time by trying to teach myself after class, and I get credit for the class. :thumb:

I suggest you get use to the ribbon, it's not going away. ;)

Another suggestion if 2007 is confusing, buy a book on it. Computer software and hardware is always changing, there's no reason to be ashamed about learning from a book. And besides, you might become more efficient at your job. Who knows!

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I agree, Office 2007 is so insanely more logical than any previous version. My girlfriend would come up to me and ask "where's blaaa in Word 2007?" and I'd say "looking at the names of the tabs in the ribbon, where would you expect it to be?" and without fail her first guess was always correct. People are so use to expecting Office to be illogical and difficult they don't even attempt to just use common sense with version 2007, which is really all you need to use it.

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

No offense to anyone but I find people who complain about changes in Win7 to be silly. If you don't like Windows7, then stay behind and use Windows XP, simple as that. There are many programs out there to change look and feel of Windows, add a sidebar, do w/e you want.

That's the beauty of Windows, there's lots and lots and lots of programs out there that can completely rework how the interface is. Microsoft only has to create a base template, obviously it can't cater to everyone, which is why there's 3rd party programs like WinCustomize that allow you to change the look and feel from top to bottom, including boot screens if you fancy it.

The only major things I'd like to see is being able to move the Windows icon in the taskbar.. that and being able to rip out windows from a group (like 3 firefox windows in the firefox icon group) and make it into it's own new firefox group on the taskbar for easier switching.

So go learn how to use Office07, or stay behind with Office 2003.

I don't get why people want new things, but want it to work the same way. What's the point of it being new if it works the exact same? And then when they do that, people complain that there's nothing new. Well yea.. if you keep something the same, you're not going to really get anything new out of it.. since it's the same.

19. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I think you folks missed my point. I'm already aware the ribbon must be an improvement as I only hear positive things about it. The problem is that it isn't optional to quickly change back to previous layouts when necessary.

Why do I want to do that? Well, like I described, I was at the office at 8:00 PM, in a director's office, and we were frustratingly trying to make a simple change to a graph. We didn't mange to, btw.

"So go learn Office07 or stay behind with Office2003" doesn't work out. My PC has a 2003 license and it won't change anytime soon (unnecessary waste of corporate money), and the new PCs (such as the director's) must come with 2007 due to Microsoft license bullying.

Also, my Excel usage is very specific. I have all functions personalized into nifty buttons and have included several macro'd buttons as well. If I go help someone like usual, I can't because of the ribbon. Were it optional, I could disable the ribbon, perform the actions, and enable it again because (in the long run) it's good.

That's the only reason why I hate the ribbon. No need to hate me! ;)

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Not hating on you, just saying you should learn to use the new technology. It's just like when a programming language is updated, or features are added, you can either learn the new stuff, or don't, and be limited when asked to work with the new features. ;)

Tags: Add Tags