1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony and Panasonic team up for 300GB optical discs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

DVD is still selling very well. It would be crazy to bring out a new video disc format even in 2 years.
    The Xbox one will help sell blu ray a bit more, but that format still needs a lot more time.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Maybe not 2 years, but 4-6 years could certainly be a good point at the consumer level. By then 4k will be cost effective enough that it will be hitting mainstream markets. At the same time the new consoles will be showing their age, and Bluray would have fully saturated the market. Also I can't really see broadband speeds and data usage limits being quite suitable for 4k by then for many. I guess those interested in that resolution will already have the Internet to support it, but that won't really promote adoption in the wider audience.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe i have this wrong but isn't the enterprise end of the market more concerned with long term storage solutions. afaik all optical disc only offer around 50 years of lifetime storage.

5. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Does anyone still want optical disks? USB flash drives have already hit 1 TB, by the time these are available the price of them will have dropped significantly. Furthermore, they will likely be faster and can be overwritten practically as much as you want. Alternatively just get an external hard drive and you can easily go up to 4 TB.

6. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Daft attempt to try and make a new cash cow.

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

It would be nice to have something for long term storage of massive amounts of data. My 1 TB fileserver is getting full but there isn't really any other media I could back it up to. Now multiply that problem by, say, 1000, and you see the issue. You can only back up mechanical hard drives to other mechanical hard drives which are expensive and a pain to store. I would welcome some new media for mass backups.

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It would be nice to have these now, as when I finally buy a 1TB SSD then I can back up straight to 4 Blu-Ray 300Gb disc's rather than messing around with around 10 100Gb disc's.

I would do a back up to the net but 1TB would take ages to upload and download again when needed.

9. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

The enterprise market, which these are designed for, already have tape drives that can store 4 TB per cartridge (eg. http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/uk/storage/tape/ts1140/index.html ) , allowing for even the largest hard drives to backed up. For consumers a 1TB external hard drive is around £50, or cloud storage services can be used.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

300GB optical disc is a joke even now, not in 2 or more years. Anything less than 1TB in a year or so is doomed to death. Sure, 300GB will be a fine media for movie distribution, but that is pretty much all that media could be used for. For audio, even the current BR media is pretty much useless. And for data storage and archiving, 300GB is way too low. One of these disc will equal three 4k movies max (because they will use around 100GB per one 4k movie).

11. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Seems like a pointless endeavour to me.

Probably only every really good for archiving.

And imagine the cost, Blu Rays are still to expensive in my opinion, even dual layer DVDs are still eyewateringly expensive from high street retailers.

We use an RDX solution for long term storage at work. 1tb cartridges can be had for £85, they are fast and really robust, can't see a super capacity optical disk replacing that any time soon!

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well, yes, archiving. Which is extremely important. No?

Definitely want this.

13. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Yeah if the price and speed is right, there are already quite allot of decent capacity mediums out there.

14. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I dont see the point, Id rather them wait for 4K films an use BDXL.

15. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

you see, back in the day when 700mb cd's were used for data @ £1 each, and you had to pay £100 for a 2gb hard disc, yes they made sense.
    now these discs would be like £5 each and by that time, it'll be £50 for a 2tb drive.
    Archiving only has to last 10 years till another tech means you can start consolidating again.
    Nowadays, I think optical is only good for write once in the factory.

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

What this actually means is that hard drives and optical media in general have not capped out on space.

The question is how dire the read speeds on these things are. I will have to say, at $10 a disc, or even $3 a disc, 100GB of data for $3 is fantastic value. Slow, but fantastic value. The idea that optical media is dead is actually rather untrue as flash memory is still much more expensive at high densities.

Discs however are not.

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Yes. Anyone who doesn't want to watch video streams that look like warmed arse will be sticking with high-capacity physical media for the forseeable future. Available broadband bandwidth is increasing, but so to is the size of video files (4k, stereo 3D, HFR, etc) in tandem, and there's the additional wrinke of ISPs capping left and right in an attempt to squeeze more profit without having to spend to upgrade their networks.