1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony kills off rear-projection TVs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

First to post!!

I think the samsung rear projection dlps are the best looking tvs I have ever seen. I honestly stood in the middle of the store for twenty minutes staring at them with my mouth open, crying a little.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Wow, I didnt realise these still existed or even crt TV's. Not seen any local to be honest.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The newest DLP and LCOS projection sets easily rival direct-view panels for picture quality

I have a feeling they're being dropped due to public perception, as the technology can certainly keep up with the times, and the cost is far less than plasma/lcd

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

*rubs his new 40" samsung lcd* ... really LCDs have come a long way and my blacks are perfectly black enough for my needs :p

7. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

i can't believe that sony is still interested in OLED, manufactures are dropping there plans with those like flies in the face of huge manufacturing startup costs and LCD and Plasma's continuing evolution and price drop..

Only thing OLED still had gong for it was its so thin.. but with the new super thin LCD's coming in @ under 3.75 inches currently available on the market and working sample coming in @ less then an inch thick OLED is looking worse and worse to manufacturers.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Darwin...... it happens....

9. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

They would also have lower power consumption, something I'd consider fairly worthwhile. And most other companies will probably wait for someone else to perfect it first so that they can come in and reverse engineer it at a much lower cost.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I thought RP TVs were dead a long time ago. Must have been 10 years since i last saw one. And back then they were terrible. Both size (depth) and picture wise. Most people went for normal projectors.

OLED have pretty huge potential. The advantages isn't very big when it comes to TVs. However, in cellphones and laptops OLED is the future. As soon as the price starts dropping it will be more common i guess. (and hope!)

Another advantage is contrast and brightness, which can be compared to plasma. (But let's face it. Plasma will never be very popular on portable devices...)

LCDs have the potential to compete against OLED in the portable market, but it will never compete when it comes to power consumption. (Unless they come up with some clever dynamic LED back light which can be made thin enough. Still I don't think all those LEDs can compete when it comes to power consuption. (anyone remember Brightside?)

edit: the come in 40 inch versions now! :thumb:

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
Tags: Add Tags