1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony reveals PlayStation 4 Pro price, launch date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. rollo

rollo Modder

That seems a lot cheaper than most expected

3. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

" boasts 4K video output - though not from Blu-ray sources "
    it just seems strange it doesn't support UHD blurays :S

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yeah, really is a downer, but perhaps that's why the price is less than (certainly I) expected.

I'm not on 4K now, but will be as soon as I can buy a 65" UHD OLED under my guilt-threshold, so this would have been a nice-to-have for sure. I'll almost certainly still end up upgrading, but I'd really rather not have another device in the rack for 4K BD when it comes to it, even if it meant a ~£500 asking price for the PS4 Pro :/

Perhaps the party line will be that streaming is the way of the future, but it's still miles off the quality of physical media :/

5. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Sony have priced it at a gaming price point, £350 means it's the same coat as the orginal PlayStation and will heavily force Microsofts hand for there 4K upgrade.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Why, why, why?! Why a gap of one month between releasing PSVR and the PS4 'Pro'? Either the PSVR sits on a shelf for a month, or I end up having to acquire then get rid of a 'temporary' PS4 for a month.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

HDR not PS4 Pro exclusive: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/hdr-gaming-coming-to-every-ps4-via-firmware-update-next-week/

And while 4K blu rays just not being supported by the latest living room device from the biggest backer of blu ray is shocking enough on its own even streaming 4K is more of the maybe at some point in the future:

(not like it would matter too much as the absolute majority of 4K TVs are of the "smart" variety anyway and have their own streaming apps).

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Most TVs are not HDR ready though makes it difficult to make your console HDR ready when most TVs Sony sell are also not HDR ready.

10. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

Anyone else think it's dead ugly also? it just looks like a black slab sandwich

11. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Or just wait? Its just a month... Even better, wait for VR to be dead by this next year and pick it up for peanuts.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wow that's not bad, not bad at all !

Might know what my Xmas pressie is already :D