1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News South Korea cyber-attacked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Clearly showing the next step in military intelligence, honestly nothing surprising if we take into account that this is the obvious path that military technology would follow.

what does worries me its if countries not so advance like mine are ready for situations like this one "South Korea Cyber investigation Unit". highly doubt we have such a unit :(

3. morkfromork

morkfromork Minimodder

Cripple a countries internet and you most probably cripple there efectiveness to defend it's self. Very worrying if you think of what could happen if an country is not able to stop or detect an attack.

4. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

Yeah, it's a whole new area of warfare. Land, air, sea, and now cyberspace. China seems to have been the first to realize this.

So you're from Colombia, cool. Yeah, I hope your country is ready, I wouldn't doubt for a minute that Chavez would pull an attack like this on you guys if he felt like it :(.

5. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Sounds like Kim is up to some tricks

[​IMG]

6. Ch33sefiend

Ch33sefiend What's a Dremel?

Strange: Wordpress announced earlier today that they were the victim of a ddos attack as well.

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

They've clanned up and are playing Crysis online against US kids? Team [KiM]Korea (the real one)

8. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

No reasonable army uses the internet for anything vital. Army data links are done using fiber optics, twisted pairs and microwave arrays. Each connection is secured by using a network with secondary and tertiary connections. If you break a cable connection you must be physically present and it is easy to detect. Even electronic warfare against microwave links is harder than you would believe if the operators are trained well enough.

This kind of attack is mostly aimed at the general public:

1) Cripple their net, cripple their ability to function
    2) ???
    3) Profit! :naughty:

Most likely long-term net blockout would deter the will to defend the country. Not the ability to do so.

9. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

You guys realise that most countries have a separate internet for the super important stuff yeah? Sure there's still going to be some effect in day to day buisiness if certain systems are stopped or altered, but the most important flows of information would most likely only be stopped by a mass EMP of some sort.... and even then I assume that there are shielded com bunkers all over the world.

10. bnr123

bnr123 What's a Dremel?

The military/Whitehall definately have a seperate network incase of such attacks. However the likes of gas/water/electricity companys will probably be affected just like Irans nuclear program was. Having none of these will sure cause panic on a national scale.

11. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

How feasible would it be to simply cutting a country off from the net? Particularly troublesome ones like Nigeria and North Korea? I suppose that then does raise the problem of who has the right to pull the plug on said countries.

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I was a bit alarmed recently when I saw a TV documentary that showed a Royal Navy officer using the wi-fi in McDonald's to check the position of a hurricane after the ship's satellite link went down. Do we assume that the operation of one of Queen Lizzie's destroyers is dependent on an uninterrupted internet feed?

13. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Iran's nuclear program was a custom trojan planted on the plc programmer's laptops. It only affected the programs made on those pc's and uploaded onto a Siemens S7 programmable logic controller. Nothing so far has mentioned that the trojan came through Internet. Most likely it was planted manually. Vital operations like gas/water/electricity will most likely be physically separated from the Internet. Physically planting a virus/trojan is a lot like planting a bomb. I would classify that kind of trojan as normal sabotage. It's not that hard to protect systems from sabotage if you're willing to pay enough.

14. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

The butler did it.

Tags: Add Tags