1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fares, 14 Nov 2014.

1. Fares

Fares What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone!

I was looking to add some new life to my old machine and thought to invest in a ssd.

From the little research that I did on the internet I found out that the sweet point for Gb/money is 250gb and that the best driver value for money is the Samsung Evo 840 wich I added to my basked in the next moment. Then I discovered that this drive has some kind of writing(or reading) issues when older data adds up and also the Crucial MX100 250 gb cathed my eyes with the price but I am not sure of the brand .

I know that samsung issued a tool that fixes the problems whith Evo drive but still is it worth buying it ? or should i better consider the crucial one ? Wich drive is the better option ?

Also as a first time ssd buyer what else should I know ? ( it is necesary to partition ? is it ok to defrag? should i toggle some options in bios before I install the drive ? )

Any pieces of advice would be apreciated ! :D :D :D

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've been using Crucial memory for a decade and have had a pair of Crucial M4 SSDs for two years, without a missed beat.

If you install one, when you first boot go straight into the BIOS and set storage controller mode to AHCI. I see no need to worry about partitioning and you should not defrag. Defragging adds unnecessary extra writes and there is no need to defrag an SSD, they do not slow down like spinning discs.

3. Fares

Fares What's a Dremel?

Thanks for reply :D

So, you say that crucial is quite reliable ,I'll try to find more about this drive and then I might considering it over the samsung one , giving that is reasonably cheaper too.

Now I hope that my old bios has that AHCI setting.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If it is from the last 10 years or so it certainly will.

5. Fares

Fares What's a Dremel?

I checked and it has.

Does anyone know if is really necessary to let 10% of the ssd unpartitioned ? I remember I read that somewhere...

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Never done that myself, have a stack of ssd's and haven't had a problem.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Have a Crucial C300 that's still going strong (was my first SSD) but I also have a V4 that had problems from the start and died within 6 months.

I still bought a MX100 256GB though as it was a steal for the size and performance, seeing as you seem to be running a board that doesn't have Sata 3 I wouldn't waste the extra money of the 840 (I have one of those too).

Also leaving 10% un-partitioned has always been a must for me.

Never defrag!!

8. Fares

Fares What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot guys ! :D

Given the price I think I might take the MX 100 256 GB (black fryday next week so it may be even cheaper ) and go for a clean install on the whole space .

Fingers crossed and hope it will go well :D