1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Study: Male gamers have need to conquer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Wow, a study that doesn't serve as the foundation for a video game ban, or that hasn't been commissioned by entrepreneuring career vampires (politicians). Interesting. I'll have a read

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That looks like a really interesting read. Bookmarked for later consumption!

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hmmm, my gf still enjoys killing people on Halo 3

5. Major

Major Guest

I can see were they are coming from...

6. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

I agree with it, I like to conquer things in games.

7. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

definitely true for RTS games, theres nothing like building an all conquering army and wiping out everyone in one single wave, turtle tactics are so satisfying

8. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

As with all things there will be some women and men who don't fit this 'rule' but the study does tie in with similar work on male territorial nature. Sounds very interesting.

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Interestingly the press release linked above is from the 2nd or April, must have taken a while to reach the mainstream, anyway, original paper is here, but you'll have to pay $31 to read the whole thing. (ref Journal of Psychiatric Research, Volume 42, Issue 4, March 2008, Pages 253-258 )
    I'm not sure about a 'need to conquer', but apparently "males showed greater activation and functional connectivity compared to females in the mesocorticolimbic system" . It doesn't say in the abstract how many people were tested however.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

ya wanna bet? soon they'll use this as evidence to ban all males from playing games for health and saftey reasons!

11. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

seems perfectly reasonable to me - i definately play games in order to crush hapless opponents. I guess the conquer vs escapism thing can be broken down by type of game played, with shooters falling into the former and rpg's into the latter (with some games offering a degree of crossover of course).

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Shouldn't we be looking at this another way? Games are more likely to appeal to men because they are usually designed by men, and are thus pandering to male interests. Games aren't these mystical things that fall out of the sky and attract all the men to them, they are the way they are because men make them like that. If all men suddenly lost the ability to look at monitors, I guarnatee a few years down the line we'd have headlines about why it is that women are addicted to games. It's just affirmation that men are different to women, and that's hardly breaking news is it.

13. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

At the risk of an ePunch to the face, does she enojoy a bit of conquering? ;)

Yeah good point, I cant count the number of female characters with boobs the size of your, head in games. Its what guys like though, sex, explosions / general violence etc

14. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

True words of wisdom Bauul. There will always be something to fill the void when a segment of a market disappears.

15. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I have got a copy of the full article here (Courtesy of University subscription) and it really is quite an interesting read, would it be contravening rules or infringement if I was to offer it?

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Probably, yes.

17. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

When I get feeling territorial, I go pee on a fire hydrant, no need for video games to fill that need :p

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I play CTF in UT to gain control of the map and conquer the other team's base ... I also play games in general to win and dominate (I can't play a multiplayer game and have fun just for the sake of playing). I guess it makes sens

Now who am I, Bush, Hitler or Napoleon , mmmmm

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Thats because we can actualy put out a fire that way, and 'woman' would burn their asses off, Unless they can do the rare 'standing pee' methode for woman.. But thats waaaaay offtopic ;)

20. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

All males have a need to conquer, it's intrinsic to who we are. Watch a couple of 5 year olds play sometime, all their games tend to revolve around status and pecking order. Why anyone thinks this should be any different in gaming eludes me.

Tags: Add Tags