1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Supreme Commander or Command & Conquer 3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aman, 13 Apr 2007.

1. Aman

Aman What's a Dremel?

I personally like the game play of C&C3 and the gun effects are stunning.

2. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I've played both and in my opinion C&C3 is the one to go for. Its fantastic.

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I've been playing the demos today. I like the sound of Supreme Commander, but in the end I just can't get into it.

C&C3 is for me; I liked the previous games (especially Red Alert) and the demo is amazing. My only niggle is you can't zoom out far enough. I wasn't expecting an overview like in SupCom, but just a tad more would have been nice.

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Whilst SupCom is a nice change from the norm, I prefer cnc3, just for the good old FMV and traditional cnc gameplay. Plus the fact that SumCom encourages turtling and building huge uber units that make anything you build early game useless just doesn't click for me :S

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Havning played CnC3 and not played SupCom, I'll say SupCom. CnC3 isn't a proper stratagy game...there's not really anything complicated to it. It's somewhere akin to playing solitare or minesweeper imo. Very braindead stuff, if rather fun at times.

6. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Get them both :)

Seriously though, I bought C & C 3 because I've been a fan since numero uno. I was not disapointed in my purchase either.

But,

I bought Sup. Com. because I am a thinker. I like to plan out everything I do at a slower pace to be more thorough so that I can completely anhiliate my opponent. Sup. Com. lets me do just that. I can take my time, get a nice defense setup and get my army going, where as with C & C 3 it's one or the other. I love the multi player in C & C 3 because it's what you want: fast, intense and in your face. Sup. Com's multiplayer is more like chess in a sense.

That's my opinion's on both games. I hope to see some of you online in both!! (just be looking for heavy q :p )

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I've got Supreme Commander, and aside from loving it, I would say try the demo first as it's not quite what you may expect from a RTS game. Certainly as mentioned above it requires a fair bit more planning and consideration than many other games along similar lines. The simple fact of it working on a totally different scale to other games took me a while to get to grips with. All your old RTS strategies are worthless as it works beyond the old idea of simply being the first person/player to rush the other base with superior numbers. You really do need to use several different strands of attack in harmony or fail horribly. Rush a base with a squadron of tanks, but ensure they have support from anti-aircraft gunners or bombers will obliterate them. Forget to add some fast moving robotic grunt units and you'll find your tanks swamped by fast attack units. And so on.

I would say if you are after fast and furious, low-brow but fun gameplay go for CnC. If you want something with depth and really time consuming strategy, get Supreme Commander.

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Supreme Command is really fun and pretty cool, but gets boring really quickly.

CnC3 is really fun and pretty cool, and doesn't get boring as fast.

9. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

just to let you know, you're comparing Chess to Checkers here.

One is a long game that places importance on strategic planning,

the other places importance on micromanagement and speed.

I'm not dissin either game, as I like both, but don't think you can say either is superior to the other, because they are apples and oranges.

10. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

I havent really played that much supcom but i'm with C&C3. It's pretty sweet!

11. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

QFT imho.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I prefer C&C3 myself, SupCom takes far too long IMO. I find it pretty difficult to get into. Undoubtedly SupCom requires more strategy, but for me C&C3 is a lot more fun.

13. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm a sup com man, I find games like C&C3 breed rushers which I detest :p

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Rushing is a pretty popular strategy in CnC3. I have a lot of fun in 3v3 games because then tend to last a pretty long time and usually end with a clash of epic proportions.

Kinda like supcom but it doesn't take 2 hours to get there. I like supcom, but its just so damn slow.

15. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

and for those of you who think supcom is slow, play smaller maps, like open palms.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's more the fact it takes ages to build up the tech tree really

17. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

No it doesn't/ I can be tech 3 building tech 4 in 10 minutes (its all about the engineers baby!)

18. Giggz

Giggz Minimodder

19. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

You do not just walk into Mordor

unless you are a Galactic Colossus

Sup Com for the Scale
    Sup Com because isn’t it fun seeing someone try and kill you with t1 bombers
    Sup Com because nothing says loving like your Sup Com packing a tactical nuke or 2 >:)
    Sup Com because stealth battleships and artillery destroy stuff
    Sup Com because artillery can fire a resonable distance

20. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I was never into RTS until I started playing Company of Heroes, which I loved. My friend suggested I try C&C3, (I had played a little Red Alert 2 before, and didn't like it much).

I played the demo of C&C 3, and while I can see where the novelty is for C&C fans, I didn't like it. The whole game is just build up units, send over a mob. I guess that's just the nature of the macro game. It's not really strategy as much as resource management. You either race to build up mammoth tanks, or some kind of one-shot-and-win superweapon.

I haven't played Supreme Commander, but I've heard it's super complicated. Personally, I'm sticking with CoH for now. A great balance of micro and resource management.

Tags: