1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Switzerland to ban violent games?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Mar 2010.

1. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Wouldn't the banning of games that " reward violent behavior " basically ban all games out there? Even Mario takes mushrooms and kills humanoid looking turtles.

2. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

It will be interesting to see what this does the Imports and Piracy.

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Completely bonkers!

4. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Swiss Politician #1: How about we allow people to use existing well established game rating systems to assess how violent a game is and then make their own minds up about if they want to purchase it?

Swiss Politician #2: No no no, don't be silly, let's pass a law banning all violent games.

Swiss Politician #1: Aha! Of course! Much better!

..lolwut?

Last edited: 24 Mar 2010
  5. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

People will carry on killing each other either way. It's just a cheap politcal stunt, they've probably reduced the spending on mental health at the same time :eyebrow:

Edit: THATS why we went to Iraq!, they'd obviously been playing Comand And Conquer at number 10 :lol:

Last edited: 23 Mar 2010
  6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Do computer games cause people to be violent?
    No, poor parenting and pier influence does.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Strange I was playing assasins creed last night went out today fell of the roof and stabbed the first person in a uniform I saw:D.
    But seriously if some one reenacts something they did in a game they probably need their head examined.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2010
  8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"...in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." --Harry Lime, in The Third Man

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Dont forget the lederhosen.

10. Lightning98

Lightning98 Umm, hello.

I don't see how they can enforce the law? i never did care for countries "banning" computer stuff since its not possible to stop any person getting whatever they want online these days... be it computer games, movies, series, music...

Anyone who wants to pay for a game will use online services such as steam...
    Anyone else who doesn't care about copyrights will simply torrent it...

So, the only thing this would actually do is remove the shops selling the game, and in that way removing a certain number of jobs and the corresponding taxes that go with shopping there.

11. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

expect steam sales in Switzerland to go through the roof!

12. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

+1 ROFL... Beware, Spanish Inquisition might strike again and some more xD

13. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

not much i can add to what's already been said, but i just couldn't let this one go

i'm sorry - what did seaside attractions ever do to anyone?!

14. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

It's a poor excuse to put the blame on something. Obviously politicians are two-faced word bags. In order to secure more terms and gain more influence they need to tackle problems. One big problem is crime rate and violence. Which is an age-old problem, which will always presist no matter how civilized you'll make humans.

So since humans don't like to hear that bitter truth, it's easier to say that violent games stimulate crime. There you go problem solved, no loger is the politician required to explain why crime rates are high.

It's a shame how Europe no longer stands behind what it's been known for. It's becomming the Middle East

15. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

Mario Kart shall now be banned, because surely throwing turtle shells, banana peels and cartoon bombs at your racing opponents are cruel acts of violence against humans and human-like creatures required for in-game success...

*facepalm*

16. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Hands up who knows the difference between Sweden and Switzerland..?

17. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Why are you lumping Australia in with Switzerland and Germany? Australia doesn't ban violent video games, or thinking of it.
    The only issue with L4D2 is that Australia doesn't have an R18+ rating, so games needing R18+ need to have the violence toned down.

Steam takes your IP and applies appropriate national controls. If you can't buy it retail, you can't buy it on Steam.
    As an example I used above, Australian's can buy L4D2, but only the "Low Violence" version.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2010
  18. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

couldn't you just proxy your IP thru america or wherever buy the game then play all day? surely it doesn't censor games once they are on the computer? If I take the normal version of l4d2 to austrailia on my laptop what will happen?

I know in germany and a lot of these other countries there was a lot of rhetoric about how violent video games made youth more violent. Cue a school shooting and the victim's parent blaming it on the popular fps of the day and tada.

They tried it in the US, but frankly they don't have enough push and I don't think anyone has demonstrated a STRONG scientifically sound link between violence and video games and transition to real life violence.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I actually expect them to handle it similarly to the way that the Germans handle it.
    Games of such nature may not be advertised, or stand around in shops.
    They have to sport CLEAR age restrictions, and may only be sold upon proof of age and over the counter (i.e. not from a shelf where a kid can see them)...
    but that's just my guess.

20. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

To all Australian gamers out there.....

WOO-HOO!!!!

:clap:

Tags: Add Tags