1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows "The Gamer's PC" (1995) - video

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GoodBytes, 20 Sep 2011.

1. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I didn't have a PC in '95 however I think I got a playstation just then.

2. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Mechwarrior 2 looked crappy even in 1995 but the gameplay of all those 90's games beat the crap we get now. Back then I was playing Flashback, System Shock 2, Quake, Baldur's Gate, Grand Theft Auto, etc.. and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2011
  3. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

hmm I dont know, mechwarrior was a full 3D videogame while games like Doom or quake used 2D sprites for everything and the only 3D was the map.

ofc in order to keep everything runing mechwarrior had to sacrifice a lot on the texture department, still awesome

4. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

**guy takes out a floppy from his pocket**... "in seven months we are goin to see a capacity in MBytes, this is the ideal media for what we call personal mass storage"

Man, that's just priceless, awesome video!!! thnx for sharing this. Have some rep.:D

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Exactly right! No need to flush coolant though, just had to keep hammering shutdown override. Of course, an ice world helped matters A LOT, whereas for a hot planet, I remember having to cut down to 4 PPCs (and adding moar heat sinks).

P.S. Don't forget that PPCs were also an area of effect weapon and also added to the hit mech's heat!

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

amazing at what even 10 years did for PC's...

[oldman]Kids with computers these days are spoiled! If your ass didnt hurt from waiting around for the computer to just boot up, then you havnt experienced a beige nightmare![/oldman]

Seriously though I am glad those days are over, it was a time I'd never want to relive... or am I living it now and will be saying the same thing 10 years from now?! *head explodes*

7. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

i feel like im going back in time with my dads pc which has a mechnical hard drive. my pc is actually slower (i5stock vs 4.7ghz i7) but mine loads windows like loldone 8), and his has the hd churning away :\. hardmounted hd so its more noticeable too :(

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

pingu666, I'd agree that we are going backwards - my current Windows 7 system with an SSD almost boots as fast as my old DOS 6.2 system. They'll get there one day! :p

9. windy

windy What's a Dremel?

My dad bought our first PC for about £1200 including bubble-jet printer. It was a 386sx (didn't have the maths co-processor the dx had) running at 25Mhz. 2mb Ram and 85mb hard drive. 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives and an SVGA monitor. Running DOS 5.0 originally then DOS 6.0, and Windows 3.1 on top of that.

486's were just coming out but they cost waaaayy more. Getting games to run was one of the best ways to learn about the PC - playing about with config.sys and autoexec.bat, creating boot menus to account for the different memory setups you needed for different games (EMS, XMS etc).

Geeez I'm old.