1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. SiZZiGY

SiZZiGY Nano Evolution in progress...

OMG :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

After all this time to being away I just discover your work, It's almost an orgasm for me, so epic, absolutely in love!

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: Thanks. I get that from people sometimes.

Progress-wise: I ordered some electronic components, and even smaller mill bits. I have an ungodly-loud grinding session penciled in too. (That didn't read right to me...) I'm trying to figure out how to mark stainless. It's nearly impossible to scratch, and sharpie disappears if you get it too hot.

:eyebrow: I see you random tag guy. Subtle. :D

3. noobas4urus

noobas4urus What's a Dremel?

You're now the proud owner of a brass purple nurple! This case rules Cheaps, loving all the bits and pieces getting put together.

4. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

I knew a Cheapsomething fella once.....used to build great stuff......I wonder what happened to him?

You need to leave a next-of-kin so we know where to send the collection.....XD

5. S.PiC

S.PiC Minimodder

Awesome and quite unusual work!

6. Cheapskate

Oh, great.
    Image links are broken due to the migration, and PUTObucket just ransomed my account. I really don't want to give money to jackasses that would pull that kind of stunt. They were a royal *sspain from the beginning. The site would often crash from the sheer number of ads.
    Ideas? I'm not sure what kind of limitations BT albums have now. I know they only allowed about 500 images total per account.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

8. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

postimage is good too.... I am going to start using my own server though I reckon, at least that has been stable for 3 years so far haha

9. Cheapskate

Ow. Two new forum platforms and a new server host in one day. The de-formatting in text... Thanks guys, but I think I'm set now.
    kylevdm, our gracious fearless leader over at TheModZoo, and head of the Munkey Party, has offered me a place to host my pics. (You might have noticed project logs all over going black thanks to Photobucket, who decided to take everyone's work hostage unless they pay for their premium package.) For the time being I've set up my sleeping bag between his couch and the record cabinet. I'll be slowly rebuilding my logs, but for the time being. I need to get something up, right?
    [​IMG]
    -IT WORKED..*cough* I mean, Here's one of those classy ghetto clamping jobs I'm famous for. I have a piston rod slipped over the vice screw, and it's wedged with a block of wood.

[​IMG]
    -Needless to say, it slipped a little in the mill, but a little filling and filing will fix that. Now I need to make a pcb for this. -oooh. ow.
    [​IMG]
    -One more odd thing going on the case: This was once a sink drain. Here I'm epoxying the gaps between flat-brass-thing and round-tank-thing.

[​IMG]

-In preparation for making a pcb, I've been shopping and surfin'. I've picked up a bunch of electronic components, some blank pcb board, and these microscopic buggers. I'm not sure how I'm going to zero something in the mill I can't see. I'd love to know how they cut flutes into a sewing needle.
    [​IMG]
    -On a side note: I've finally found some accent material for my next project. (Yeah, like I'm going to get time to finish THIS project.) I picked this up from acrilex.com, and it wasn't cheap. Hey, I'd much rather spend my cash on this than spend $400 to have someone host a lousy 130 megs of pictures.
    [​IMG]
    -This stuff opens up a lot of possibilities. It reacts to light and background colors very differently. Most standard plexi colors dominate whatever you put it over.

Unfortunately, I'm back on the clock. -New house with many problems. Unfortunately, I have project log repair to do as well.

Oh, and I gotta find my sponsor banners somewhere in 3600 pictures. Thanks for looking.
    Edit: hmm. Maybe just copy-paste? Yes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Jul 2017
  10. Vault-Tec

ooo sparkly !

11. Cheapskate

Thanks! I just went through the entire log rebuilding links, and noticed you were here from the beginning, replying religiously.

12. Vault-Tec

Awesome :) yeah man I love modding. Especially creative modding using something that was never designed for its purpose. Or forcing things to take on a new purpose.. Always fascinated me :)

I wish I could just continue modding and building PCs with impunity but sadly a one bed flat (even though it's a bloody big one bed flat) only has so much room.

13. Cheapskate

No toilet workshop, then?

14. Cheapskate

Hi... remember me? Me neither!

I thought I should try to get something up before the one-year mark hit again. It's been a constant combo of perfectly timed vacancies and natural disasters. The problem is I only have time to do little bits. I'm at a spot where to move forward, I have to tear the main assembly down. That's something that would require a lot of time, and there's no telling when I would be able to put it back together, or even if I would remember HOW.
    [​IMG]
    -One thing I did was grind some more vents in the tank.
    [​IMG]
    -I decided something I could do was distraction- er... another experimental/proof of concept reservoir. You know, something that can be done a few minutes a day for a month. -Enter this scented candle jar.
    [​IMG]
    -It has this nice lip on it that could easily seat an O-ring. Since it's glass, silicone would work great too, I just need a cap I could port. The red thing is a sanding disc made from 180 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and some soft plastic.

[​IMG]
    -I made the sanding disc to get rid of the unwanted bumpy stuff on the jar. I sunk this in a tub of water, and ground this down with a dremel extension wand. Respirator and goggles were used, since breathing broken glass dust sounded like a bad idea. The submersion took care of dust well, but there was definitely splashes of glassy water.
    [​IMG]
    -The plastic disc worked for a while, but it wasn't strong enough. Something like a lacquered bit of leather would have worked better for a backer. This was working too, but I got in a hurry and used a grinding wheel instead. That made little divots and gouges in the glass I could never clean up. The plan was to sand this down and polish it, but as an experiment I've done enough.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a cheapo alternate that would work: Mate the jar in PVC with a ton of silicone glue. Glue on the lip, (or twist-top threads,) would keep it from popping apart under pressure.

[​IMG]
    -This is the test fit I did on the part right after milling.

[​IMG]
    -Here it is silicone glued to the cap with retaining clamps in place. I added a little glue to the clamps for a better hold. If I wasn't in slob-mode, I could clean the excess glue off with mineral spirits.

[​IMG]
    -There you go! A simple ghetto-reservoir ready for a plastic brain with wires sticking out of it. Your favorite alcohol bottle, or one of Mom's vases is calling kids!

I guess I could make something like this on the outside of the turnip, space allowing.
    [​IMG]
    -One last bit off the dusty camera: The holiday gag-gift. I had a list of albums I was having trouble finding. Here's one I got ...zipped to floppy. ...5 1/4" floppy...

Thanks again to my very patient sponsors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

neSSa and Vault-Tec like this.
  15. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

WB :clap: bout time i had some one else other than YG to stimulate my addiction :grin: i think DS is going this way as well..... on hold for the foreseeable future.

16. Cheapskate

:lol: You abbreviated that beyond my understanding. -probably deliberately.

17. zak

zak Build Clean people, build clean

maybe it was time for a "thingy" build. A Man build. wait. no. never the right time for a thingy build

18. Cheapskate

There's never time for thingy. :lol:
    Remember me? I thought not.
    Last update: June, wow.. yeah. It wasn't even for this rig.
    [​IMG]

-Speaking of that, I think the lip clamping was redundant. With the rough surface of the glass and plastic, the plexi was almost impossible to remove.

NOW. back to the rig.
    [​IMG]
    -Remember that I made big plans to solder a double usb3.0 hub into here? Yeah, F that too. It turns out that .5 mm mill bits are TOO BIG to make the traces with, also I really don't have the free time. I bought a compromise part. It's a little clunky, though.
    [​IMG]
    -Better!
    [​IMG]
    -I had a similar problem running the other end through the bat handle. I had to sand the USB logos off to get the plug to fit.
    [​IMG]
    -Here I ground out a pass-through in the mounting bracket, and splattered a little glue around.
    [​IMG]
    -Well, that's nice and blurry. Here we have sawed off one end of a Moen sink cartridge. +1 to the scrap tally list. I needed something to cover naked female USB parts sticking out. I somehow made that sound more exciting than it really is... The tape marks where I need to dremel.
    [​IMG]
    -Pow. No progress pics, just done. I'll need to dab some silver paint over that epoxy eventually.
    [​IMG]
    -Meanwhile, I needed something I could do to the core during brief moments of free time. Shortening the wires seemed good. Here I've drastically shortened the SATA daisy-chain. The pump also lost it's big-*ss SATA plug.
    [​IMG]
    -I removed one of the motherboard 4 pin plugs, and replaced 2 of those wires with a pump connector.
    [​IMG]
    -Redundant picture? Sure, why not? The 'work in small doses' thing bit me in the backside on a few occasions...
    [​IMG]
    -One victim was the GPU cable. Mark with latex paint and colored markers one day... Decide on doing the cut differently and mark again... Come back another day, forget the plan, and cut in the wrong place...

Then the pin remover decides to not work anymore. I got one pin free finally, but it was so unexpected and violent that the pin remover took a dive, -and you know the d*mned things only land point-down.

Anyway, I opted to solder, and one wire there gave me some trouble there too. Yeah, it's ugly.
    [​IMG]
    -So the problem wire caused me to pre-shrink two of the heat shrink bits. I couldn't replace them since my pin remover was broke, so you get a slathering of liquid electrical tape. :p It may be ugly, but it's stuffed in a spot where no one will ever see it.

I just hope it fits... :worried:

Thanks again to my very patient sponsors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec, adidan and Goatee like this.
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Wow. You're still at this? That's dedication! :thumb:

Vault-Tec and The_Crapman like this.
  20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

He may take his time (and several other people's time), but they're worth it.

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.