1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Disappointing Game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmberry20, 29 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You sound like Rossignol - but I bet you're just trying to deliberately go against my comments in his article.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1661

And what do you know about Doom 3? You never even finished it!

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

After having a read of this thread I've got to add some more:

C&C3: Bloody awful imho.
    Crysis: Why couldn't they just leave the monsters out and crank up some damage? :(
    Bioshock: One of Joe's favourites, usually I agree and respect his thoughts, but not this time. The combat leaves me really cold, and the story gets really old for me. That, and everything's shiny.

Ultimate one - Deus Ex: Invisible War. The first one was about as brilliant as they come, and the second one should've been more of the same tbh. Shame it was a blatant console game with a poor story, crappy game dynamics and too much hype.

STALKER was a bit of a disappointment for me, but only because you could tell where the new developers took over about 2/3rds of the way through. Never even bothered to finish it once I got near bit where you start seeing ghosts of stuff, with totally lame radiation nastyness just for the sake of making the game difficult.

It was also a bit meandering during the middle, when you've got to the bar - I like to complete all the missions in a game, but there were too many boring run around the map jobs on there to peak my interest.

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

hmmmm

I feel i may have written stalker off a little early. I shall revisit it.

4. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

For me,

CNC generals and Darkstar One.

5. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Real life is the most boring game.

6. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

the problem with 8 is that it came after the awesomeness of 7! Im currently playing 8 again on emulation and its a really good game! Much better than I remember it when I was 14. Also, for all you naysayers 7 is the best game ever! And you're wrong if you disagree, WRONG I tell ya! :D

It has, numerous times :) myself included stating that "Deus Ex - invisible war, that games sucked ass!!"

7. Major

Major Guest

Yep, my #1 choice.

STALKER is one of the best SP games I've ever played.

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

crysis was far from disappointing to me, it was exactly what i expected
    jaw dropping beautiful and capable of bringing any machine to its knees
    daft storyline only there to facilitate shooting up koreans and aliens

only disappointing thing for me with regards to crysis was the vtol handling :p

i've also just completed it again in the last couple of days on new system with most of the dx10 **** turned on, really is such an awesome game

9. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

lost planet, i so wanted it to be a good game but found it dull

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Oblivion is probably the game that has disappointed me the most, the levelled enemies just completely killed the game.

Bioshock was another one that was a bit disappointing, but not that much. I thought it was a really good game, but it could have been much better, they had a great setting, but it was too short and a little bit too simple.

I agree with Joe about Zelda, well, Nintendo games in general, I find them to be very over hyped. I really liked OOT, but I played it again a few years ago, the rose tinted glasses shattered, it's not all that great really, and the main saving grace that an old game/rehashes have, story and atmosphere, was pretty non-existent. I had a similar problem with Mario Galaxy, all my friends were saying how it was amazing and the best game ever, but when I did play it, well, it was good, but I really didn't see what there was to shout and scream about. It was Mario, but with new, shiny graphics and weird platforms. I suppose it's great for people who have never played it, but I grew up playing Mario, so playing pretty much the same game again didn't seem like something that was eligible to be the best game ever. At least with Halo I liked the story.

11. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Perfect Dark Zero, what a waste of £10 :(

12. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

right, get ready...

Anyone who slags off FF7-9 is just plain wrong. I'm open to others opinions but you just are. Wherever them games fell short of something they progressed in other areas. Materia system was flawless and junctioning magic was kinda crap coz of drawing, but the whole GF thing was a huge leap forward, i don't know why it hasn't featured since. 9's ability thing was crap, but the weapon forging thingy was genius.

Joe, you're right about zelda, but OoT was such a huge leap forward into 3D that i can't see how you play it down so much. Yes the story's constant in that franchise but in terms of gameplay and graphics that was ridiculously innovative, though the the franchise has stagnated since. Also you mention crysis and stalker, but i remember you rating them highly in the review? But yeah, crysis story sucked. Stalker i haven't tried.

And yes, every mentioning C&C Generals and Quake wars is spot on.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I have to say that Bioshock was a massive let down for me.

14. Major

Major Guest

I'm guessing you never played the Zero Hour expansion then?

15. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

Suprised to see a lot of people dissapointed with Bioshock. More than I thought.

Heres another one.... FIFA games. Seriously - who keeps buying them?? They are like the Friday the 13th cash cow. New ones are just as samey as the last one (which seemed to be released only 2 months ago). Have people that play FIFA not actually play ISS?

16. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

I heard a lot of people go on about this & said it was much better than Generals? But isnt it more of the same? Would someone who hates generals but loves Red-Alert/Tiberian Wars like it?

17. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

iss?! PES it where its at mate :thumb: Just a damn shame the FA wont give them the licence! But to quote you're other post, yup zero hour is more of the same. Sucks if you paid for it as a stand alone expansion, but if you got it as part of the generations box set then its not too bad!

18. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

I agree on that one. It is the most recent let down for me. I loved Morrowind, and when I got my new system recently Oblivion was top on my list of new games to buy. However, Oblvion has been quite repetitive, which is surprising considering how immense the game is. Don't get me wrong, the game is still quite good, but it is no where near what I hoped it was going to be. In terms of entertainment, it's a step back from Morrowind in my opinion.

The mass amounts of mods out there though do a lot to fix its shortcomings though.

19. Matticus

Matticus ...

The most disappointing games I ever played are....

Doom 3 - I never actually finished it. I got so bored of the sameyness.

Crysis - Obvious reasons, though I was expecting it to be shoddy.

Bioshock - The same reason as everyone else.

SimCity Societies - Very boring and too easy even on harder settings, no feeling that you where loosing or winning. No real reward system as it sort of happened behind the scenes (top left corner and a little jingle).

GTA IV - Now I don't have a 360 but I was considering buying one, and when GTA was coming out this made me really want a 360. I didn't get a 360 in the end, and I am glad. I played GTA IV for a several hours around my friends house over a few days, and every time I left his house without the urge to play it again. Normally if I play a game that I really like I get home and look it up, see when/if its out for the PC. But I just came home had some cereal and went to bed. Now maybe if I played it as though it was my own and not around someones house I would like it better, but this game was so hyped I was sure it would DIE if I didn't buy a 360 and play it.

And I really liked and have just replayed S.T.A.L.K.E.R., also the whole COD series was really good for me.

20. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

You're gonna hate me but...

Fallout 2. I made a character (with little or no idea of what any my creation selections were good for in terms of stats and skills etc...) then walked around a bit, went into a ruin, kicked two ants to death (which took fraking forever) then I couldn't figure out how to open the door after walking around for ten minutes. I found the interface to be incredibly bad, to boot. Now, hey, I didn't play too far so the game might actually be as good as everyone says it is, but I was expecting to be blown away by it and it just ended up being a big disappointment and I couldn't force myself to continue playing it.

And more recently, Kane's Wrath. The online stability is still a totally broken joke, the community is complete crap, imbalances are rampant, and the entire lobby and match making system wouldn't even be passable TEN years ago.