1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2010 Thread - Post season washup

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 22 Dec 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Webber's flying lesson was pretty exceptional.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Let's see: 1 open fire, at least 2 smoking cars I can think of.
    Every accident that Webber or Vettel were involved in stirred discussions.
    1 Flying lesson.
    2 "Zomg- that dude is SO lucky to be alive" moments, one courtesy of Kovalainen playing "park das Lotus" (I seem to remember it was him), and one involving MSC spinning like a rookie in Bahrain.

Overtaking wise, there were a few REALLY stunning ones:
    Kubica being on Fire and rolling up the field fromt he back.
    Hamilton being on fire and doing 11 (i seem to recall) overtaking moves in one race
    Seb Vettel trying to overtake Webbo, and pulling in too early (I had to)
    Kobayashi launching 2 overtakes at the hairpin in china (might be wrong about the track).

That's just to name a few.

Pretty memorable, I'd say

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

One driver: Kobayashi!

:rock:

F1 is a technical sport. If you want constant overtaking, go watch NASCAR ;)

4. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Agreed. And "park das lotus" caused coffee to run out of my nose. Well played, sir. :D

Definitely agree. Kobayashi was awesome :thumb:

NASCAR never appealed to me... even when I was a kid, my little matchbox cars looked more real than those :D (not to mention the annoying commentators and the lack of... well, turns :D)

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Kobayashi for prez. Or at least WDC 2011. :D

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Kobayashi needs (IMHO) 2 more seasons before becoming a threat for the frontrunners.
    It's not that he's nto good enough, but rather that he's raw talent, and rather unrefined. 1 more year at Suaber, then on to a better team (Renault? FIndia?), and he's gonna be int he running. For now, he's the best of the rookies, if you will.

Thoughts on "rookies" this year in general (and I'll include those that joined mid-last season):
    Alguersuari - the glitz has worn off. He's not really better than Buemi, and if he is he hasn't shown it much. Though Buemi has more XP, so I suppose that makes ALG a bit better.

Kobayashi - The best of the lot. Good to watch, clearly talented, and fearless.

Petrov - Not particularly good in a normal race, but he seems immune to pressure, which is an asset. I reckon if he can keep the car ont he track for long enough, he could be "good midfield with the occasional podium".

Chandhok - Haven't seen a lot of him at all, and mostly he DNF'ed. Maybe HRT isn't the best place to show talent.

Senna - See Chandhok, though Chandhok seemed faster.

Hülkenberg - still getting used to F1, but has potential. Gave Williams their first pole since windows 95 or something, and that against a substantially more experienced teammate. He'll be around for a while stil,, though I am not sure how much of a WDC candidate he is.

The rest I didnt't really keep too much of an eye on.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I used to follow Chandhok when he raced in India. He was pretty crap even there. I don't think he'll make it. Probably go the same way as Karthikeyan.

Petrov will be fun. Like you said, the last race show'd his balls in terms of soaking up pressure. No one, and I mean no one, manages a flinch-free race when they're being tailed by a 2 time WDC. Plus, he's Russian, so he's automatically awesome.

8. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Didn't they say HRT only became ahead of Virgin due to Chandhok?

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yeah - from what I've seen, Chandhok is the best of the HRT drivers.

As for Vitaly "Sponge" Petrov - I see the pressure absorbing abilities in Kubica as well. Must be something to do with iron curtains, eastern europe/russia stuffs.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Nov 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.