1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

All's I've heard about it is pretty bad. The review in the Grauniad (at least I think it was) gave it 1 star, and everyone I've spoken to so far basically said 'avoid', so I have. I'll just watch Beverly Hills Cop again instead for my Eddie fix.

Pete J likes this.
  2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It is just not funny, OK so the odd giggle here and there at 'black' jokes, but then you're brought back to the 21st century when you remember that black jokes are bad m'kay.

Coming to America was 30 years ago, and whilst it's funny in a non PC kinda way it hasn't aged well, I think if it were broadcast on terrestrial TV they'd censor half of it, so when they try and follow up with a sequel / semi-paradoy it just falls flat on it's face.

That and that they try and rip of a portion of Black Panther (unknown ******* son returns to claim his title) just
    [​IMG]

3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

The Day of the Jackal 8/10

Edward Fox was brilliant, I wish he'd done more movies of the genre.

Pete J likes this.
  4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Ducktales sasons 1 &2 (2017-2018) 8/10 decent reboot of the series and my kids who at first didnt want to watch it were hooked. david tennat is ace as scrooge hopefully it wont be too long before they ad season 3

WandaVison 6/10 its goood but...... i think i am suffering from mcu fatigued and altho disney have done a good job with all/most the marvel movies so far its just missing something that gave the comics its edge.

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Pacific Rim: The Black: solid Jaeger assbeatings/10

This is kind of like watching Michael Bay's Transformers after growing up wishing they would really just beat the **** out of each other instead of just insult each other. The battles are much tenser than the movies ( you'll find out why) and there's a real sense of impetus at least in my opinion. It's PacRim with hints of Oregon Trail and Mad Max thrown in. And it works. But there are some serious questions to be answered in season 2, which was in the initial deal. In my opinion, completely worth the watch.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

FYI season 3 is the last one.
    Were you aware that Magica DeSpell is Tennant's Doctor Who co-star, Catherine Tate? Or that they got the original voice of Darkwing Duck (Jim Cummings) to reprise his role?

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

If we're chucking thread topics to the wind and talking about TV shows too I gotta mention Buffy, which on a rewatch has aged like fine wine. Although the HD remaster is really awful in places, I didn't consciously figure out why I was having such a bad time until I stumbled across this video:

You know what else has aged like fine wine? The first Mission Impossible. Much more sleuthy and cerebral than I remembered, the plot and exposition is actually really clever and doesn't patronize or spoonfeed the audience. The action setpieces are still jaw-dropping. Consciously I know the TGV train sequence is just a wind tunnel, but my brain is still completely fooled - and it was made in 1996. Absolutely bonkers special effects quality for the time.

I'd link it on youtube, but frankly it's well worth buying the blu-ray and watching it yourself in its entirety, because coming as it does at the climax of a slow, tense, understated film with masterful building of suspense, it's a really cathartic and awesome ending, and you miss that if you watch it out of context.

Arboreal and LennyRhys like this.
  8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

wasnt aware of tate but dw one was obvious

9. Xir

Xir Modder

The Blackout (2019) (Avanpost) - 5/10
    Russian SciFi. Some decent action, but overall too long.

AVA - 6/10
    Been there, seen that. Before...often.

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

• JL: Snyder Cut 9/10 enjoyed this didnt feel like it was 4 hours long. shame we will never see affleck in a proper batman movie in the synder-verse. imho it lives up to the hype but will no doubt have fans wanting more

Last edited: 22 Mar 2021
    Pete J, adidan and goldstar0011 like this.
  11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Justice League snyder cut
    4 hours of my life I'll never get back :jawdrop: (and I cheated watching it in 2 sessions) now don't get me wrong, it's a decent enough flick, turns a typical happy super hero film into a pit of dark despair, but sheesh, 4 hours.

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Controversy! And gosh, when I last paid attention to anything Marvel/DC the 'Synder Cut' was just a fan rumour and petition. I didn't realise it actually went and happened.

That said, Batman v. Superman was so forgettable, and Avengers Endgame was such a bewildering sensory overload of dozens of characters mashing together, that I'm not sure what would stir my interest in either franchise at this point. There's just too much of it. They're all serviceable films individually but holy moley, if one more CGI army with a gravelly-voiced leader threatens the universe I think I'll walk into the sea (edit - just realised I stole this image from mrlongbeard further up the thread, proof that inception works.)

I do like Snyder, though, so I'll give it a look. I must admit, a film being super long is a selling point for me now. I'm one of the 4 people alive who actually enjoyed and rewatched The Assassination of Jesse James :worried:

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I turned off Batman v Superman.

It's not that is was particularly bad, I just found it crushingly boring - it didn't hold my attention at all - so I switched it off and went on my PC for a while. I read about Justice League (I think it was the cut) being released in 4:3 and I lost any interest in watching it - talk about searching for a gimmick.

14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

It's not a gimmick. It was originally filmed in 1.33:1 with the intention of screening on IMAX, which is very close at 1.43:1. Converting the original 35mm to home media's 2.39:1 would mean pan & scan

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I love Batman versus Superman (bought the Ultimate Edition off Amazon Prime). At first, I didn't really rate it, but after watching it a couple more times, I started to appreciate it more. Now, I'd place it in my top 10 for sure. By the way, Man of Steel is my first favourite, followed by First Man.

Ohhhh, Aquaman is free on Prime at the moment. I know what I'll be watching at the weekend, whilst stuffing my face with chocolate...

goldstar0011 likes this.
  16. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

4:3 was used as it better shows super heroes going vertical something snyder didnt like about man of steel was the visual impact of superman bolting off into the sky didn't seem as jaw dropping.

i admit on our 4k 65" tv i didnt like the aspect ratio much, it was much better on our projector

17. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Watched the new Justice League cut last night, was expecting not to make it through the whole thing, but I did, and it is so much better than the first release. Think I'm a fan, but at the same time can totally understand many of the criticisms it gets. I wonder if it would have been received better if JL had been done before the Avengers ever assembled.

18. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Am i missing something, didn't realise the Snyder Cut was/is available in the UK?

19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

20. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Last edited: 23 Mar 2021