1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]
    Finally broke free of the plateau, just in time to stop the red weighted moving average popping above the target line.

Looks like my caloric deficit is dropping - might have to go from a 1,800 calorie target to a 1,600 calorie target, see what that does to the graph.

2. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

How are you measuring from fit bit?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

End of the second month:

upload_2020-7-1_13-7-16.png

Actual trend continues to track below the target, despite some plateau-style activity towards the end of the month. Back at work tomorrow, which will hopefully mean more of those yellow diamonds that mean I picked up the weights for a bit.

Still, if this continues I'll be at my target weight by September.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2020
    theshadow2001 likes this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Your link doesn't work @Gareth Halfacree "Your session has timed out or has been ended.
    Please Sign In Again"

Last edited: 1 Jul 2020
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Shouldn't have been a link, should have been a pasted image. Let me try again...

6. Gareth Halfacree

Officially two stone lighter now. Despite a noticeable uptick after we'd gone for a glamping weekend and I decided to spend the Sunday eating whatever the chuff I wanted...

Mr_Mistoffelees and sandys like this.
  7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Improvement for me

07/ 04 86.3Kg 27.5% fat
    11/07 81.3Kg 24.9%fat

so 5Kg lost of which apparently is 1.3Kg of muscle (11lb loss and 2.9lb muscle loss) so another just over 1.3Kg or 3lb's an I've binned a stone

An I have been far less active during lockdown than I would normally have been, I suspect it would be much more if I was actively out doing stuff.

sandys likes this.
  8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Hmm not so good for me

Pre lock down ~ 107kg
    now ~112kg

It's been a slow creep up from march to now, pretty much + ~2.5lbs a month, my general lack of activity and unhealthy work ethic at home is not good, going to try a bit of calorie counting this week as my meals etc aren't bad but too much easy access nibbles at home for my current sedantry burn rate and I am probably not accounting for them, sometimes even forgetting I already had a snack :eek:, also need step away from the screen more.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, those have been key for me. Counting the calories - roughly, I'm not back on the apps, I'm just making a mental note of any pre-packaged stuff I eat and guesstimating the home-made stuff - and regular, light exercise (5BX every day, no skipping - I'm on Rung 11 of the introductory ladder now).

I've also got a pair of dumbells with... 8.5kg on each, and three or four times a working day I'll do 20 or so curls with 'em. I have biceps now, which came as a shock. I mean, I'm sure I had biceps before, you just couldn't see 'em...

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

The lockdown hasn't been good to me either. I went from working retail, on my feet all day going up and down stairs to staying home. In the beginning, I would take my daughter to the park. Now my daughter is in daycare and I work from home so barely even go on walks any more.

11. Gareth Halfacree

"Hey," thinks I, "I've been doing ever so well, taking the weekend off while we stay at my mother's seaside caravan won't hurt, don't I deserve a treat?"

upload_2020-7-21_8-38-41.png

WHOOPS.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Three-month update:

upload_2020-7-31_9-39-54.png

In the positive column: I've lost pretty much 14kg (2st 3lbs), I'm continuing to lose weight, and I'm now hovering *right* above "healthy" BMI (and I'm one percentage point away from leaving "overfat" and "insufficient muscle" in my smart scales' app).

In the negative column, that weekend off really screwed me over - I've had to push the end date of the diet out a week (so it's now the end of September) in order to move the target trendline back near the actual trendline. It's temping to cut out another couple of hundred calories to speed things up, but already 1,600 a day feels pretty restrictive and 1,400 might be pushing it.

Still, onwards and upwards - or, rather, downwards. Should be 75kg, my target weight, by the end of September; might keep going to 70kg after that, to put myself slap-bang in the middle of the healthy BMI. I'll see how I feel then.

adidan, MadGinga and MLyons like this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

When are you going be sliding under doors or, falling through the cracks in the pavement?

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Milestone:

upload_2020-8-4_10-31-29.png

From memory, that's the first time since I bought the smart scales however many years ago it was that it's read "health" [sic] for body fat percentage, rather than the somewhat hurtful "overfat."

(Okay, it's by 0.1 percentage points, but I'm taking it as a win.)

Still some way to go, though, I'm a BMI of 25.3 (so close!) and I'm about 0.8 percentage points away from leaving "insufficient" in the muscle analysis.

For comparison, this was me shortly after starting the diet (took a while to find where I'd stored the scales...)

upload_2020-8-4_10-40-32.png

Last edited: 4 Aug 2020
    adidan, MLyons and Byron C like this.
  15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

dodgy translation going on there I reckon, Overfat :D Good progress Gareth :thumb:

Gareth Halfacree and MLyons like this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Just recorded a BMI of 24.9, which squeaks me into the "healthy" section. Huzzah!

EDIT:
    To add to this, I just dug out the suit I bought for a friend's wedding years ago. It was a bit tight when it arrived, then became too tight to do up. Not only does the jacket fit fine, but the 36" trews fall off if I don't have a belt on.

So, dug out an even older suit from back before I got married - 34" trews, which fit fine. Happy with that.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2020
    enbydee, sandys, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Found similar, none of my trousers fit, I had to add another hole to my belt so its usable tops, I slipped into a hoody I've not worn in years it fits nicely, all my others are now starting to look daft on me.
    Still stuck at the 80Kg mark or rather just over 80.1 last week 80.2 this week but that was post breakfast so probably closer to the 80.1Kg mark.

enbydee, adidan and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  18. Gareth Halfacree

's all gone a bit wrong. Under more pressure than usual work-wise - the deadline for the new book contract is ridiculously tight, and missing it ain't really an option - and I've been feeling more than a bit 'ick, which has led to a cessation of the exercise and consumption of more calories than I should be having. Gone back up to an over-25 BMI again after packing on a kilo or so over the last four days.

Boo-urns.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It happens, you've done well though, you seem to be quite structured and stick to things well, so reckon you'll sort it.

I have been treading water weight wise for ages, well since Covid struck as it coincideded with perhaps the busiest period of work I have had in a long time, this has all wrapped up now though and I have had a nice refreshing holiday (where I put on half a stone in two weeks despite walking over 100 miles :duh::rollingeyes: expected though, gorging with friends and family, lots of beer and eating out I wouldn't normally do so I'll let it slide...) things have eased up now though and am back on it, I'd like to get into the 15st bracket by year end, even if it is 15.99 :grin:

Determined to turn around the plateau/minor increases, target is 15.5st which near bottom line (15st) in diagram, been a very poor year so far, basically gone nowhere since the christmas new year party season, still I haven't gone back up to 23.5st in challenging times so I guess that is a positive.

Office has opened up and I am going in a few times a week on my bicycle, 18 mile roundtrip, this should help, a lot more activity than I have been doing. trialled it before holiday and it wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be, hard at my fitness level but should get easier and quicker over time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Aug 2020
  20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

A kilo in four days sounds like most of it will be water, surely? In not sure you can metabolise a kilo of body mass in such a short space of time, so probably not worth reading too much into such a short-term fluctuation.

GeorgeStorm likes this.