1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Ultraviolet to close

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 31 Jan 2019.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Heads up that Ultraviolet is closing - sauce

I know I've seen codes exchanged/sold on the MP so some of y'all are likely to be affected by it.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hmm a bit vague as to how it will affect UK users, I don't have a massive collect via ultraviolet but I wouldn't want to lose them.

I view them using flixter and my account is linked to my SONY account so I presume my SONY activated movies would be ok. I'm not actually sure which of my movies are UV to be honest.

This is why I still favour physical media like DVD and BluRay

Last edited: 31 Jan 2019
  3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've built up a bit of a collection over time (mostly through codes that come with disc copies, but I've also had a fair few as rewards for doing Warner questionnaires over the years), but it was fairly obvious UV hadn't taken off the way most of the publishers had abandoned it (I think it's only Warner Bros giving UV codes with their films now, Sony have moved to google Play store and another one (can't remember who now) has moved to iTunes codes). As long as you don't unlink your UV account from Flixster I think you should be ok (as long as Flixter keeps going, although I think that's owned by Warner anyway)

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It annoys me when the digital copy cannot be linked to the account of my choice. I have half a dozen or so digital copies I'll never used because they are linked to services I don't use, e.g. UV. Mind you my rant it mote as I now running Plex and the digital copies aren't used anyway. If any studio executes are reading this, partner with Plex to link the digital library services (with local off line copies).

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I read this the other day and thought I'd weed through all of my discs, pull out the codes and figure out what to do with them, if anything.

Top of the pile, John Wick UV code, oh it says redeem on iTunes - perfect, as a user of iTunes this will be easier than I thought. Pop the code it, only redeemable on US iTunes... urg that's right, I got this in the US. Oh well, next.... oh good, none of the UK UV codes have any association with iTunes.

So basically this then. I have a stack here of codes for Fox Redeem, Movies Anywhere, Universal Anytime and UV (and some codes in the bin that do work with iTunes, thanks Paramount and Dreamworks).

I've come across a few convoluted ways to "convert" codes involving VPN, separate foreign accounts and animal sacrifice and gotten mostly lost half way through.
    Is the general consensus that the codes (particularly UV) aren't worth the paper they're printed on?
    All of my discs are in Plex anyway, but it would be handy to have them in a streaming service that is something I would actually use willingly as well.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

This is both a shame and unsurprising.

I do wonder how many people are going to try and sue somebody in the US.