1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Ultrawide monitor - the future!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimmy6, 16 Mar 2017.

1. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I've been interested in getting a G-Sync UW monitor since the ASUS and ACER 34" screens came out about a year or so ago, but I keep hearing about upgrades in the pipeline. Apparently the Acer X34P is on the way soon, and I can't help but think that ASUS have something special coming too. Plus, there are very tempting new panels available from LG, Samsung and others, but they are all Adaptive Sync or Freesync.

So does anyone have an idea of any upcoming G-Sync UW monitors? I'm looking at at least 1440p, 100Hz and an IPS/VA screen. HDR and OLED would be nice too :lol:

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Both the Asus PG348Q and the Acer Predator X34A actually use much slower panels and allow overclocking them to 100Hz.

The only native 3440x1440 100Hz Display officially available in the west is the Samsung CF791.

The Asus PG348Q is fine from a technical point of view but hideously expensive and the design is like marmite, the Samsung doesn't have G-Sync and the Acer Predator X34A has very widespread issues.

And given the absurd quality lottery buying any monitor has devolved into I would recommend staying far away from the grey imports on ebay and such.

OLED is unlikely to show up in gaming quality monitors any time soon. Why? because if you look at OLED TVs the technology suffers from input lag so bad even console gamers notice it.

HDR has an actual chance of turning up in future monitors, but no solid announcement yet as to when it will turn up in high refresh rate 3440 1440 monitors.

Sacrifice G-Sync and get the Samsung CF791?
    Or
    Sacrifice money and get the Asus PG348Q?

That is what the premium 3440x1440 market comes down to at the moment:sigh:

Jimmy6 likes this.
  3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Just to comment on the X34A, as I own one, the overclocking it's really straight forward and is done from the monitor itself rather than the GPU control panel. It's as simple as setting it in the options, rebooting the screen and then matching the corresponding refresh rate in Windows.

I know the original X34 had widespread issues but not the X34A revision, as far I could tell anyway when I was researching it.

Jimmy6 likes this.
  4. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the Samsung monitor but I am absolutely set on G-Sync. It would be great if they made both Free and G Sync models...or maybe Nvidia and AMD will combine forces to agree on one standard...or maybe pigs will fly!

I am not convinced I'm going to buy an X34A or the PG348Q - I know they are generally accepted as being great monitors (if you get one without any issues), but I would rather wait a few months and see if they put one of the newer panels into their monitors. I'm still using an old Dell for gaming on, and can afford to wait a few months for the latest and greatest screen! I don't tend to buy monitors very frequently, so I like to make sure I get the best for my needs at the time.

5. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I've had 3 ultrawides, I'm now using the lg 38uc99, freesync I know but stunning, but it does use backlight strobing for nvidia

6. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

I had a look at that monitor - it certainly does look stunning. Am I correct in interpreting the specs in that it will only give 75Hz with Freesync, and 60Hz for everything else? Oh, for a G-Sync version!

Is it just me, or are all the latest monitors all Freesync? I know it's much cheaper tech and easier to implement, but surely nVidia are losing out here? Or is that perfect screen just around the corner...

7. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

you can run 75hz with nvidia through backlight strobing, i guy on overclockers used it witha gtx 1080 and said it was pretty good gaming but had to turn it off in windows as he got a bit of flickering

im still hoping one day nvidia might support freesync, who knows

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

whats with some manufacturers offering only freesynch versions of the the bigger monitors? been wanting to upgrade from ym trusty old hpzr30w from xmas the 38uc99 was no1 on my list till i read it had no gsynch

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Cost - As far as I know G-Sync requires physical hardware from nvidia (or at least licensed from them), whereas Freesync is much easier to implement and allows the manufacture to label a monitor as "Gaming".

I had a 4K 30-60hz Freesync LG screen that's about to be replaced with a 1080p 144hz (overclockable to 180hz) G-Sync Predator. Hoping DSR will compensate for the reduction in pixel density - already makes a substantial difference on the 10 year old, about to die Hyundai piece of crap I'm using in the meantime!