1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Unigine unveils new Valley Benchmark

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Pretty beautiful!

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Look's nice.

Would love to see these kind of graphics in games.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm less enthused about the prospect: the only way I can get >30fps in Valley on my desktop (an A10-5800K with no dedicated GPU, which - as clear from the spec - was not bought for high-end gaming tasks) is to turn the quality to Low and the resolution to 960x600...

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

That is pretty, only issue for me was the draw distance and things popping up.

Liked the uneven surfaces.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Tessellation to the max!

8. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

Anyone Care to help me out?
    I originally set up my gfx card OC using heaven, which hit a max temp of 75ish, even on 4.0. However Far Cry 3 has been burning a hole in my gfx card, hitting temps of 90+, but no crashes ingame. If this is a stress test/benchmark, why isnt it giving me the max temp of my card?
    What prog can I use to find the max temp so I can clock my gfx card down a bit? I've heard my card clocks down itself (580gtx) with Furmark, so you dont get a realistic result.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The video doesn't state what hardware they used to run it but as with all graphics benchmark suites, they are designed to kill even the very highest of current GPUs and give an indication of where future development can push forwards. I am guessing that the draw distance and some other settings had to be lowered just to get it to run that smoothly but even that was a little jerky at moments. However it did look amazing... All i could think was 'I hope 'The Elder Scrolls VI' looks like this'. :)

10. Gareth Halfacree

I've been considering that, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive about running Hybrid Crossfire, or Dual Graphics, or whatever AMD is calling it this week under Linux. The performance difference between a standalone Radeon HD 6770 and the A10-5800K's integrated GPU is negligible if you're not using both together, and I don't want to waste my cash if it turns out to be a Windows exclusive like Nvidia's Optimus!

Might give it a shot when they're £20. Then I'll have to decide whether 2GB of DDR3 or 1GB of GDDR5 will give me the best performance, when the APU is using DDR3 system RAM...

11. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

I think that max gpu for hybrid is 6670 not 6770 afaik. So i probably wouldnt bother.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Typo on Parge's part that I then blindly parroted, 'cos I'm a genius like that. His link goes to the same card I was looking at earlier today: a £45 MSI Radeon HD 6670 with 2GB DDR3. I was balancing it up against a Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 with 1GB GDDR5 - but at an extra £20, which seems steep for half the RAM even if it is faster.

13. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

I think that max gpu for hybrid is 6670 not 6770 afaik. So i probably wouldnt bother.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Well to be fair, this benchmark is pretty punishing to even the best GPUs out there. So if you can get 30fps at those settings I'd say you're doing alright. I have a HD5750 and I can only get around 40FPS at the lowest settings, but 1080p resolution.

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nicest looking benchmark I've used, I hope elder scrolls ends up looking this nice.

[​IMG]
    Inconsistent though like heaven, glitchy min FPS on scene switches over various runs but it mostly rolls along at 60 to 80 FPS on my 2500k @4.2 & SLI 670, highest temp on both cards reached 70c.

And yes I don't feel any need at all for higher than 2x AA on 1440P, you may think you lose in performance going from 1080p to 1440p but you don't when you factor less need for AA, 2x AA works nicely. :D

16. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Teamed with OLED Oculus Rift , would anyone want to leave that VR world?

Maybe, when the next gen games get ported across to PC, on max settings it'll look somewhat similar?

Last edited: 16 Feb 2013
  17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I would so I can maintain a reasonable level of health & sanity in the game we call reality but for sure I'd go & get lost in an awesome virtual world for a day now & then, beats getting wasted because it doesn't fry your brain cells while enhancing your imagination & costs less too, key is to have other interests besides tech & gaming. :D

I could sprint to a cliff edge & do a long jump & while jumping past a bird could grab it, pet it & let it go before I plummet to the ground in a fake world just for the heck of it to see the world a bit differently without consequences, no can do in reality without training & a wing suit & a great height to do it from. :)

I've got high hopes for next gen consoles, hope they don't fluff it up & take things in a wonky direction due to the money that can be made from crap games on phones these days.

Game devs if they want to grab bigger audience they'd have to mix awesome grade adventure game with awesome grade action game that seamlessly switches between the 2 types so you get a quality deep complex highly interactive story that can change paths to the end of the story along with great action that pumps the adrenaline into the game, if the new Aliens game was done like that it would have rocked the world probably more than the movies did & made a lot of none gamers get interested as well as really impress gamers because Alien was far more than just shooting things.

Bit of a ramble there. :lol:

18. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Yeah The Elder Scrolls VI and GTA would look class

19. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

it looks amazing, makes you want to time travel forward just to have open game words in such environments.
    The PC community have waited too long. At least we're almost there, next gen consoles will finally allow games worthy of our hardware.

20. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Crytek and a few others are more than capable of producing visuals like that now, just look at their latest engine demo. Of course, there are the well known problems with the API limiting PC performance . Top end PCs may even have problems running PS4 games at the same level of visual fidelity because of this API handicap . Maybe on- chip GPGPU solutions will solve this , if/ when the GPU can function independently setting up work for itself.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2013