1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Universal Studios pans Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 18 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

i agree... from what i have read hd-dvd's have a slightly better quality all round... who cares if the ps3 is backing it.. i'm not planning on buying one.

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Anotherone bites the dust for Sony......

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Wake me up when one of em dies

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Agreed, I remember a couple of weeks ago a "Blu-ray will win the format war" article, might have been here on BT.

I'm putting my hopes on HD-DVD winning the format war, since it's alot cheaper, and I've also taken a disliking to Sony.

6. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Even if Blu-Ray and HD-DVD have similar performance using H.624 (MPEG4), the fact that the HD-DVD drives are half the price is a pretty good reason alone.

Sony NEEDS the PS3 to be a success, not as a games console but for the sake of Blu-Ray...

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think your average joe walking down the street and seeing HD-DVD written on something is far more appealing than blu-ray. People like stuff that is familar and they know what HD is and they know what DVD's are so HD-DVD is a natural progression. Ask people on the street what blu-ray is and they won't have a clue.

The technology comes second, you're average consumer doesn't know what MPEG is or any of this compression malarky.

HD-DVD will come out on top, PS3 wil flop.

8. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

That's exactly what I said when blu-ray was first making itself known. But ultimately don't think that's the main reason blu-ray will lose. It'll simply be the price. No large manufacturers or distributers are going to put their money on blu-ray when they know that they'll get more chance of success from a product that people can afford. The performance or quality will have nothing to do with it by this point.

9. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Whilst I agree that HD-DVD is a more familiar term, I fear most people will see Blu-Ray and think "That's the same thing used in the PS3..."

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You stole my words. Bad staff, bad!

Let's not forget price, either. We've proven time and time again that people don't really care about what the actual quality is, as long as it's promised to them, or at least implied. Or else we'd see a lot less iBuds sticking out of ears, wouldn't we? With HD-DVD costing half as much, and the implied quality going for it (as blu-ray means nothing to the non-geeky), it has to win.

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

At the end of the day, image quality won't even come into it, it'll all be down to whichever format has the bigger library.

I also think that this arguing over which format is better is putting consumers off. At the end of the day, they're happy with DVD (still looks good on a big TV, especially since upscaling players are moving into the mainstream). They've just finished replacing their VHS collection with DVD, and don't want to start over with the next gen of discs. The average consumer thinks next gen discs are just a scam by the movie companies to get them to buy the films again (for the third time).

The advice I'm giving my clients is to stay clear until there's a clear winner - or the price of the players comes down far enough to make having bought the losing format less painful.

12. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

Personally I think its all a mute point, especially with the development of holographic storage from Hitachi....HD-DVD and Blu ray are the last dying breath of the old "system" of storing information. Here in the States, you can get a good upscaling DVD player for $100. I think in the end both are going to loose to good o'l DVD. Quality doesn't always seem to matter to people, if you look at laser discs, you'll see my point, the quality of laser disc is much higher than that of DVD, but DVD won out on that one, cost and size I'm sure played a big part, but very few people ever hopped on the laser disc bandwagon.

13. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

at the end of the day, i think HDDVD will win, just because of the name

blue ray, may sound all spaceshippy and futuristic, but at the end of the way, when we think of movies whats do you think of ? DVD

What do you think of when you think of a new plasma screen? High definition

i think customers will latch onto HDDVD, because it has DVD in the name, they already have DVDs, so theyll think, whats all this HDDVD malarky all about? and go ahh, its DVD, but better! even my nan would, now if you told my nan you had some blue ray disks, she would be like what the hell is that? :p

just seems a lot simpler as the name clearly shows its a better version of the current standard, and is the next generation of something we already have, where blue ray is something new and fangled

with blue ray, and sony shooting themselves in the foot with their players, then HDDVD will just sail away, i cant see blue ray coming anywhere close, unless of course, sony buy out microsoft, stop the 360 and overtake the world with ps3s :p

14. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

As long as the players are backwards compatible wih DVD then the switch could be quick. If not then people will keep on buying DVDs and it will take even longer for an HD format to become established.

15. riggs

riggs ^_^

Not fussed which one wins (because I won't be buying into HD for at least another 5 years). Saying that though, if HD-DVD was victorious, I'd lmao at Sony having to add "Blu-Ray" to their ever-increasing list of failed media formats.

16. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

But teh UMD!

:D

17. TRG

TRG What's a Dremel?

Sony is in a tight spot right now. It will survive this crisis, but if it doesn't adapt and change, bad things could be coming it's way.

18. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

The way I see it is you will have HD-DVD as the main movie format and blue-ray will be relegeated to data rooms for archival backups due to its large capacity

Nikumba

19. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Too early to start taking bets right now. There's a lot of "Anti-Sony" rhetoric floating around on the web right now and a lot of people are buying into it. First to market does not equal win. Dreamcast, anyone?

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Dreamcast lost because it did not have a DVD player that at the time was a proven and relatively spread technology.

HDDVD and Blueray are in infancy, they will grow, and maybe merge together, kill eachother, or one will simply become the standard and the other will linger...... and die or be used for another purpose.

VHS vs betamax, what was better? who won?

if i have a mercedes and a car that is like the mercedes, behaves like the mercedes and looks like it, and it is cheaper than the mercedes.... i think the mercedes will sell less, even if it is better, no?

count how many mercedes you see in one day and count how many opels or peugeots you see in one day.

Tags: Add Tags