1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade Current Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vegettoxp, 16 Mar 2012.

1. vegettoxp

vegettoxp What's a Dremel?

Hello there Guys, just wanted to share with you my Blue Print to upgrade my current Rig with some new toys. Please look over my ideas and share your thoughts and comments or recommendations on hardware, thank you all in advance.

PC Case - From: CM Cosmos To: Corsair Graphite Series 600T (Whire Color)

Motherboard - From: Asus Maximus Formula SE To: Asus Rampage IV Formula

Processor - From: Intel Core 2 Quad (QX9770) to Intel Core i7 (3820)

Processor Cooler - From: Thermalright To: Intel Liquid Cooler

System Ram: From: G-Skills 8GB To: G-Skills 16GB (F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL)

SSD - Intel SSD 520 Series (120GB)

Thoughts, Recommendations, Opinions, all are welcome, thanks all!

NOTE: This PC will be used for Photoshop, Lots of Video Editing, Games here and there and the usualy computer work. Also lost of Video Converting!

Josh:clap:

Last edited: 16 Mar 2012
  2. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

the 3939k, while it is faster than a 2600k, i personally dont think it is worth the premium. however, if you have the money, and you like fast things, its your call! as you do photo and video editing, id recommend at least a 2600k though.

good mobo choice.

the cooler, not sure what you mean by 'intel liquid cooler' if you like all in one liquid solutions, the corsair h100 has got much praise recently, and would be a good choice for a 3930k

the ram, i dont think 1333mhz cuts it anymore. whilst there is not much difference in games, i think in other things whilst the difference is still only small, its big enough to warrant getting a faster kit. at least 1866. however gskill are great, and i thoroughly recommend their 2133mhz kits, as mine oc'ed easily to 2200. i think because you plan on doing lots of memory intensive task i wouldnt compromise here

for the ssd, perhaps a crucial m4 instead? better price to performance

3. vegettoxp

Thank you for your thoughts and I have finally made up my mind on the Processor, I am gona go with Intel Core i7 3820. I think the Price is right, I would like the 3930, but the price is a bit high for my area.

Yes that is what I meant to say, Liquid Cooling. It was between Intel and Corsair Hydro Series.

What G-Skills Ram Stick would you recommend for my setup?

Josh

4. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

as far as i am aware you cannot overclock that chip, which will not only be a bit of a waste for a corsair h100 but it will limit your render times.

personally, id go with a 2600k :)

for the ram, i highly recommend what i have, which is two of these kits

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=370

im not sure if you are in uk or usa, but for uk, the 16gb set was exceedingly hard to source. the only place which did it was some random weird store in amsterdam or something (ikr) so instead i just bought x2 of the 8gb kits (which were still hard to source) but im glad i did.

great ram

edit: this site seems to sell them.

http://www.systo.co.uk/components/memory/8gb-pc3-17000-f3-17000cl9d-8gbxld.html

also, note you can get cheaper ram, say 1866 or whatnot, for about half the price. bear that in mind. i just wanted high frequency ram thats why i went with this :)

5. vegettoxp

Well I live in United States and what would be the down side if I get 2600K instead of 3820 Sandy-E?

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

oh well im not sure of the availability in the usa. probably better than the uk.

the downside? the 2600k has less cache and slower stock clock.

wait until someone with more knowledge comes in i think i am not very confident in what i am saying, although i think i am right

that being said, the 3820 will probs score better at same speeds as 2600k. its just the overclocking that interests me more. also with the 3820, you can have quad channel memory (and more memory in general) however i wouldnt think you'd need more than 16gb

7. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Apart from being on a cheaper socket and fewer PCI-E lanes (afaik). You would save a lot of money going 1155 and SB, but then there is IB to consider, as that will be out in June apparently (although some pople are saying earlier).

8. vegettoxp

Whats the deal with Ivy-Bridge, is it coming out this year or next and if I go with Sandy-E, will I be sorry? Will the Socket Change from 2011 to something else?

9. mikeyman198

Ivy Bridge is being release this year, sometime around May-June. Socket 1155 gets the first IB processors, while IB-E (socket 2011) gets its processors late next year.

10. vegettoxp

So I guess I should have no issue with Socket with 2011 and my Asus Rampage IV Formula is good choice.

11. vegettoxp

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for your advice. I have bought the case on Friday and I ordered the Asus Rampage IV Formula and it will be here next week and I will continue to order my items one by one and I will order the Processor in the end.

Your thoughts on 3820 or 3930K? And If I go the route of 3930K, wil that be a good choice?

12. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

it is more money, but if you can afford it id go with the 3930k because of its overclocking potential. what you plan to use it for is cpu intensive so may as well get a good cpu! :p

but if you cant afford it the 3820 is certainly not a bad cpu at all.

13. vegettoxp

Sweet, looks like I am following the right path. I will ask more question as needed, but 3930K is my choice, but the price is a bit high, but I will be getting the processor in the end and I am hoping the price will go down a little, thanks all.

14. vegettoxp

I have also been thinking really hard and been looking around and asked my self if it is time to get a 6-Core Processor or just stick with Quad. There are more apps that take advantage of Quad, then Hex Core. So untill there are more apps to take advantage of Hex Core, I think it would be wasting money to get 3930K.

15. mikeyman198

Good choice, save yourself some money and get one of the best IB builds you can when they're released :thumb:

16. vegettoxp

Thanks, I will go with the Quad!

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

18. vegettoxp

lol, thanks brother. I also poked around and I am gona Go with Corsair H100 with Two Noctua (NF-F12 PWM) Fans instead of using the fans that comes with H100, Good Choice?

19. vegettoxp

Any Comments on these things?

Liquid Cooling - H100 with (2) NF-F12 PWM Fans (Better To Blow Air On To Radiator or Away From Radiator)?

G-Skills System Ram - Recommendation? (For Rampage IV Formula)

SSD Drive - Currently look at Intel 520 Series (120GB) Good Choice?

20. mikeyman198

Well if you like brown fans... Otherwise Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850's come highly rated :)

And for the SSD, CustomPC did a storage megatest and the Crucial M4 128GB came out on top :)

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012