1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USSR - Ultraviolet Suspended Spherical Reservoir

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 3 Aug 2005.

1. Jado

Jado What's a Dremel?

I see you're doing good Captain Slug ! :thumb:
    I really like you're work !

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

I got a new table saw!
    :D

I didn't mentioned it previously but my previous table saw was causing alot of problems (like having to measure both ends of the rip fence for each cut). I FINALLY have an accurate and reliable all-metal table saw. Not to mention the fact that I can move this one from the garage to the basement so that it's on the same level of the house as all of my other tools. It even has a dust chute which hooks up to my shop-vac.

+Glee

AND this is my last week of working at my current job. So starting next week I will have 2 days of each week devoted to school, 2 days for machining, 2 days for learning German, and 1 day for putting my feet up. This is going to help my sanity immensly and I'll be soooo happy to not have to deal with customers anymore.
    I'm not a "people person". :)

3. Captain Slug

The finish line is eerily close after how much progress I've made today. Here's what took place in a 7-picture update. I got my table-saw setup outside the basement door with the shop-vac in tow to eat all of the dust it produces.
    [​IMG]
    And my entire day was fueled by orange soda.
    [​IMG]
    The first part I needed to make was the pump/shelf support. Luckily the new table saw is accurate to 1/64th-inch because as originally glued together it was soooo tight fitting with the rest of the parts that I had to cut 1/64th-of-an-inch from each side so that the other parts can slide in place.
    [​IMG]
    It supports the weight of the shelf and will eventually hold the pump as well.
    [​IMG]
    The drive cage now slides in nicely without getting stuck.
    [​IMG]
    This turned out nothing like I was anticipating but the end result actually works better than anticipated. This single bracket allows the reservoir to be remounted within at different angles so that even if the case is reconfigured the reservoir will remain right-side-up.
    [​IMG]
    And slides into the case like so.
    [​IMG]
    And that's what I managed to do in 8 hours today. On the agenda tomorrow are the 3.5" drive cage, and tackling the finishing touches on the outer panels that I've already cut to size. Should be interesting but I'm hoping to be 99% or 100% done before the end of the week.

4. customh

customh conflagration.

That is so sweet, i want to see water flowing in that thing!!!! It should look awesome!!!

5. Captain Slug

Only a little bit of progress today because I'm moving kind of slow. The faceplates are done and the panel for the switches and indicator lights is almost done. I just need to do some drilling and tapping so that all of the parts mount to the frame. As-is they fit snugly because the tolerances are so close on the parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 5.25" drive cage and reservoir frame can both be swapped AND rotated 90-degrees in either direction to allow for different standing configurations for the case itself.

More to come tomorrow.

6. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

That reservoir looks amazing. I follow this thread with much interest, because my next case will also be a selfbuild plexi one. Five stars!

7. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

lookin good :) very unique idea :)

5*

8. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Another wonderful idea from Captain Slug. Just can't wait to see what you'll come up with next along with some pictures of this case when it's finished.

9. Static Lullaby

Static Lullaby What's a Dremel?

Excellent work! This is a way sexxy case so far! :D Keep up the good work!

10. Captain Slug

Lots of progress, AND set-backs today. I'm not where I wanted to be, but I am very close. The front is finished. I also added some reinforcing tabs to the 5.25" cage so that the drives only need screws on one side to be secure.
    [​IMG]
    And the frame is even more reinforced than before.
    [​IMG]
    And I got the 3.5" drive cage well underway before my last remaining scrollsaw blade broke 2 MINUTES after Home Depot closed. :(
    [​IMG]
    So everything is done except for that and the soldering I need to do on the switches. Which means more progress will come on Tuesday, when I plan to be finished with all of the machining.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2006
  11. Captain Slug

The case itself is complete. There are two remaining details I was unable to finish today but all the crucial pieces are completed. First I finished the 3.5" drive cage/duct.
    [​IMG]
    Then there were handles to add to the sides, and a heap of holes to drill and thread for affixing all of the various parts to the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thursday I need to visit a small local computer parts store to buy .100" pin header socket tails to finish the power and reset switches, and I need to get a good measurement set to add the mounting holes for the pump. Those will be the finishing touches. And after those are added I'll be back with much clearer and more detailed images. Ones not taken with my crappy cheap-as-free camera. :rolleyes:

12. Rocket733

I like what I'm seeing. Got plans for a fluid color? UV reactive maybe? I think I might have to try and make a spherical reservoir because it looks so awesome.

13. Captain Slug

The color is up to the client, but I atleast now it going to be some kind of UV reactive dye. We discussed it a long time ago but I don't remember what color he was going to go with nor do I know whether or not he changed his mind since then.

And here's the only reasonably priced source that I've found for acrylic hemispheres ranging in sizes from 3/8" to 6".
    http://www.kitkraft.biz/catalog/6_Clear_dome-p-2550.html

You'll need a step drill bit in order to make the holes and some acrylic rod to make the threaded inserts.

14. Rocket733

Cool, thanks for the link and information. I'm sure your customer will be quite pleased with this case.

15. Captain Slug

16. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

That plexi frame looks real sweet :D and that tinted plexi looks nice.

KUTGW!

17. Captain Slug

This case is finished. I added the remaining details like pump mounting holes and wiring the LEDs and switches and now this project is being handed off to the owner.
    All subsequent updates will be provided by DeViL_909.

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience, support, and feedback. Especially DeViL who's been trying to get this made for 3 years now.

18. Rocket733

Lol, well it seems well worth the wait. You'd better make sure he posts pictures with all of the watercooling stuff installed. Excellent work :clap: :jawdrop:

19. Captain Slug

DeVil had me do one last thing which he can show you once the case arrives at his doorstep (I'll quote his posts in this thread from here-on). Which also brings up the fact that the case is shipping tomorrow through UPS. :hip:

20. Captain Slug

The customer has safely received the case, but has been busy playing with the absurdly large box I packaged it in. :p
    Updates soon