1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve to replace Greenlight with Steam Direct

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Feb 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Any word on what criteria would need to be meet to recoup the application fee.

3. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

How will this affect existing Greenlight users?

I bought Greenlight 2 weeks ago, in preparation for submitting my first proper game later this year. Have I missed the boat again?

4. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

If they go 5 grand or near that I fear it might be the first sign of Valve going sour and becoming 'one of those' companies. Beginning of the end from the consumer/gamer's viewpoint.

5. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

I was thinking, will this achieve what steam want? The additional cost from the budget will either have the effect of reducing the quality of the games, or will result in the game being priced at a higher initial point.

The first is something steam wouldn't like, the second is probably how they expect this to play out.

6. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

If this cuts down on a lot of the awful games that are currently filling Steams catalogue then it will be a welcome move tbh. Studios who are out to make a quick buck with poorly put together rehashed games full of off the shelf assets might well be put off.

Sure some low budget games might suffer but if the concept is decent enough they can be funded in other ways.