1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ViewSonic takes on the iMac with £499 Atom PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 23 Apr 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Wow that's expensive. I'm sure you could get a much higher spec machine for £500.

3. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Well of course you can, but that's totally not the point?!

The same could be said of the iMac but again, not the point....

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It has a niche for those who want an all-in-one system that doesn't need three power leads plus associated other wires hanging out the back and the desk space usage of a separate monitor+CPU+speakers setup.

It's about all that a websurf/e-mail/word processor needs, provided they don't bog it down with bloatware.

I'd think about it for non-PC-gamer family, but really I find anything lower than 1680x1050 too low a res for comfortable desktop organisation.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You may as well get a higher spec laptop for the same price or cheaper. Its an even more all in one solution which has a keyboard and mouse in the case!

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

That's a good point. It's even mobile! But do most laptops within this price range include a 19" display?

7. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

No, but most of them have a higher resolution than 1,366x768!
    You can get a 17" HP laptop with a higher spec than this and a 1,440x900 resolution for under £400!

8. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Didn't Asus already do this? I'm thinking of the Asus EEE Box, which has similar specs and a VESA mounting point...

9. interzen

interzen Real men use chainsaws.

No - the EeeBox is just another small form-factor machine, kind of like the Dell Studio Hybrid.

I can think of a fair few people who'd find the ViewSonic useful - my sister is a good example; she does all the usual PC stuff as well as the occasional game (nothing cutting edge - I'm thinking The Sims etc.) but doesn't really have the space for a full-on rig. Something like this would sit nicely in the corner of the living room or similar. Me, I'd either keep saving for a 'proper' iMac or get a refurbed model from Apple.

10. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Huh, I'm sure I read here somewhere that the EeeBox had a VESA mount... I can't find the article on Bit-Tech, but Wikipedia backs me up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_Box) and there was also the Eee Monitor (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/07/03/eee-monitor-is-in-the-works/1) - although I think the later never made it fully to market, since I can't find any online shops carrying it...

11. interzen

interzen Real men use chainsaws.

Oh ... so it does. I stand corrected.
    It also seems that some enterprising souls have been using various tricks and bodges to attach the EeeBox to the backs of their TVs - neat idea.

12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Forgive me if i'm wrong but i'm fairly certain that this would struggle to run the Sims, and certainly not the Sims 2.

Agreed with the above about getting a laptop instead especially if the 19'' screen of the viewsonic has such a poor resolution.

I feel the Viewsonic won't be a success.

Tags: Add Tags