1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viral marketing experiment

Discussion in 'General' started by saeghwin, 23 May 2007.

1. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

:blush: Well I've certainly never heard that before!

2. saeghwin

saeghwin What's a Dremel?

Okay, sorry I've been out all day (and I'll be gone the rest of the week too).

I don't understand why everyone who has posted here (except maybe DXR) is comparing this to a large-scale advertising campaign that a corporation would pay millions of dollars for without getting permission. We're talking about one person at a time hiding small pieces of printer paper in 2-3 books in a bookstore (which houses hundreds of thousands of books potentially). Regardless of whether or not a book store owner knows how to WHOIS a web address or not, the chances of them finding the slips of paper are extremely slim, with an even smaller chance that they would take the time to do more than say "please, stop." And I don't think that anyone is going to mistake the ad for a professional placement from the publishing house. If that's a big problem, then maybe there should be a footnote that says "This has not been placed here by the publisher of this book."

I say, if you'll place an ad in one book at a bookstore, and you actually get in trouble for it: I'll pay you $5. That might not cover the court expenses, but hey, that would be your problem, not mine.

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

So you're saying that if I place an ad for your website in a book store and get in trouble for it, you'll send me $5 but I'm going to be out the money it'd take to pay a ticket and/or court costs. That really makes me want to help you out man.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Saeghwin, the point is that it doesn't matter whether it's some random guy putting scraps of paper in their books, or a multi-billion dollar advertising firm. The principle is the same, you're riding of their property. Any sane company would put a stop to that using scary lawyers just because if they don't, then a few years down the line it might be the multi-billion dollar advertising firms doing it. Just because you're small and aren't directly going after lots of profit, doesn't make your cause any more just or actions any less wrong.

5. saeghwin

saeghwin What's a Dremel?

No, but it does limit the justification for a lawsuit. The processes and fees for going through with a lawsuit would be outrageous when compared to the possible gain for the plaintiff from the defendant in such a case. Any sane company wouldn't come after someone who hid a URL in their book.

I guess we'll see if I get a court order in the mail or anything in the next couple days though (I went ahead and hid an ad yesterday).