1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Water Cooling Radiator Shoot-Out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 23 May 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/05/23/radiator-shootout-1/1

With all of the components in watercooling, one always seems to get overlooked - the radiator. So much effort goes into waterblocks that we seldom see a complete "here's the best" test. Fortunately, we're fixing that problem today, with our first in a series of radiator shoot-outs.

:brrr:

2. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Meh, What was the overclocking difference. I've ran tons of setups and two degrees has never made difference in stable overclocking. Also I run two GTX's a 240 and a 360....so i'm not about to change radiators lol

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

What's "an avid gernalist"?

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Journalist, I think. ;)

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Hooray! some w/c reviews! Can we have some reviews of Aquacomputer gear?

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

is that asking why you might out it all in one loop? In my case so I can fit soundcard and 3G modem in the PCI slots next to the GPUs, works great, I get a good overclock on GPUs and CPU and can occupy all mobo slots even with SLI, it doesn't always have to be about max performance but also practicality, double height GPUS are no good for me.

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

damm it why do you constantly tempt me to go watercooling with the new rig i intend to buy

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

Damn you could have warned us to turn off/on/up/down our speakers before we clicked the link to the xchangers "INFORMATION" scared me half to death.

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Shhhh. :p Fixed now. ;)

Yeah, but not quite how you're taking it - I would be putting the two GPUs in one loop and the CPU in a separate, smaller loop I guess? I hope that makes sense. :) That's asking for an awful lot of heat in one space and for the cost of the equipment, I'd think there would be a little money to plumb into two loops.

Sorry about that... yeah, I'm really not too sure what's with all of the music.

10. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

What are the fan specs and were they mounted in a "push" or "pull'" configuration?

11. K20

K20 What's a Dremel?

An incorrectly spelt portmanteau of game journalist? Why does bit-tech find it so hard to use spell check, maybe they don't want to be bothered by all their made up words being underlined in red.

Are there any radiators which work well with large case fans?

Last edited: 23 May 2008
  12. Matticus

Matticus ...

Now that I have actually read the whole thing I can make a constructive comment.

Good review of all 6 rads, makes me want to WC, I just keep getting tempted, and dispite what people keep telling me I know 240mm rad would be perfect for my system.

"Roughly translated, this means that if a system can dissipate 75W and 95W of heat respectively and you're only putting 25W of heat into it, both will cool similarly assuming equal flow. However, when you start dumping 65-70W of heat into the system, you'll find a sizeable difference in temperatures between the two."

Thats is the best way I have seen the performance of radiators explained. Makes me realise that for my system there is no point getting the best rad money can buy.

My only gripe is the lack of testing with other fans/speeds, I know you touched on it but I would have liked to have seen a @5volt and @7volt chart, as most people wont be running fans @12volts. I would say most run at @7 and at that speed the differences between the rads performance may change drastically.

Also I hope that you add the charts from this review to the next one so we can have a side by side comparason of all radiators to date as the review process goes on.

But other than that, great work.

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

hey now, I spell check very carefully, thank you very much. Very few of my articles contain flagrant typos. ;) At least allow me one once in a blue moon?

As for "large case fans" - define? If you mean 160mm, there's really only one on the market right now - the ThermoChill PA 160. 120mm is really the fan standard by most accounts.

14. Matticus

Matticus ...

Bit harsh, and it is probably because it is written in notepad as its fast and easy and all the formatting is done the website end so there is no need for word processing.

Also
    :thumb:

Big case fans? These rads take 120mm fans, they are big case fans

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

:confused: PA160 uses a single 120mm fan. Is that what you meant? ;)

I'd really like to see a head-to-head with PAs versus the Fesers. Those two are really the same class in regards to fin-count and style of rad; i.e. designed for silent operation with lower-CFM fans.

Edit:
    Forgot to say thanks for the review, guys!

16. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

What about the GTX 480? It is the only 4 x 120 I know of but it does has that coolness of having a huge rad with out going up to auto rads. I currently running one in a stacker with a push/pull fan setup

17. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Yeah i'm with E.E.L. The thermochills are generally thought of as the best performing radiators in most reviews i've seen, and the fesser is a similar design. perhaps could you include a 7v test for those? as i know the PA series is designed for use with quiet fans, or normal fans at 7volts, and is where it excels, and is the more likely scenario in day to day use for most people.

RwD

18. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

hehe ;) Yep, thank you for translating. I moved thoughts and just kept on rollin.

The Thermochill one will be coming soon, we've had some problems due to supply chain issues. :) I will try to add some 7v tests in there as well when I do that one! :D

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Looks like Feser's releasing a 480 rad as well.

20. K20

K20 What's a Dremel?

No offence intended* and I did not direct it towards you specifically, but Bit-tech in general. No offence to Bit-tech but I have seen a few typos which would be picked up by a simple press of F7. I don't want that to be misinterpreted so I would like to clarify that I meant (and typed) "Why does bit-tech find it so hard to use spell check" (the function/feature) not "Why does bit-tech find it so hard to spell correctly". Okay?

Alright you're off the hook *takes Da Dego off the hook* ... Does Da Dego like being on the hook? You appear to be hooking yourself with your finger.

The XClio Wind Tunnel case to be specific. Obviously I'm not expecting 220mm(x 220mm) radiators (the fans are really 22cm rather than the claimed 25cm) but as the fans move so much air I could put a radiator (or several) inside the case and tape off some vents to force the air to go though the radiator(s). Trying to use the case fans with the GeminII did not work so well (it might have been a mounting issue due to CoolerMaster's useless instructions but after I tried to remount... the motherboard wouldn't boot).

*Maybe you took offence as you had already corrected yourself, I'm sorry for not noticing that.

Last edited: 23 May 2008
Tags: Add Tags