1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I'd assume it would work like any other credit card purchase. I've known other people to have gotten world-wide donations before, so I thought it was worth a go here. Won't be disappointed if nothing shows though :D That is the nature of charity, after all.

Oh, and as an added bonus if somebody donates to me: I'll happy place a laminated bit of paper in a key position with whatever graphic, logo, name, or phrase you should so choose (nothing profane, but I'll be more than happy with CDC's or the like). The logo sheets will be clearly visible to other riders, and photographers along the route, so your dirty little mind will get tons of exposure, quite possibly in a country you'll never even visit! Think of the fun! All that just for throwing a bit of money towards a good cause.

@docodine: you've found one of my favourite bikes of all time! Those forks (although absolute crap) are just a piece of art, especially with those old Pro Flex frames. Treat the bike like the classic it is and I'm sure you'll have miles of fun with it. If not, put it on your wall as a testament to true innovation within the industry from a time when we were pushing boundaries in all ways. I know I'll be riding mine when I can find one (to add to my GT RTS-3 and LTS-1, plus my Giant Acid and Balfa Minuteman).

Last edited: 5 Jun 2011
  2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Spent last night night-riding with a couple of friends. Superb. Absolutely superb. After 22 it's no longer too hot, there's barely any traffic on smaller streets, less people on stairs and less people to see when you screw something up.

Maybe I'm just never going to grow up, but damn does it feel great to pull a manual along one of the (empty) main streets and drop off at the end to an empty market square. Just so much fun :)

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

4. Jipa

Lower the saddle, ditch the front derailleur (and get a chain guide) and have some fun!

5. GeorgeStorm

Haven't got it yet, only bought it earlier, whats wrong with the front derailleur?
    Was very well specced for the price, x7/x9 groupset

6. Jipa

You'll find the reason for a chain guide VERY quickly once you start jumping..

And indeed seems to be well spec'd from what I can recognize from the photos. (EDIT duh also a spec sheet at the album front page, didn't notice it)

EDIT3: yeah fast fingers, slow brain. Didn't notice it's being sold as XC/all mountain? Surely it's more of a dirt bike.. I don't see how that fork, saddle and frame would be very suited for XC.

7. GeorgeStorm

Oh really? :/
    I'm intending to use it as a general bike, with XC, rather than DJ elements.
    Reviews (bikeradar) said it liked to get off the ground, but didn't make it sound like a dirt bike.
    While I agree on the fork not being ideal, the bike as a whole still seemed like a good buy for the money, and certainly an upgrade from my current bike

8. Jipa

Yeah ofcourse it CAN be used, it's just that for XC use the fork is too sturdy/heavy and you may want to look for a new saddle. I've used my Trek Bruiser (DJ all the way) for work transport and with the saddle up it's absolutely killing my bawls and thighs.

But if you aren't too picky about the weight and the saddle is OK, I suppose it's all OK. Just looks a bit funny :)

9. GeorgeStorm

Well, as I said, I'm coming from a generic 'reflex zero' or something like that, so this will be huuuuuuuuuge improvement regardless, and it's fairly likely that I might upgrade it a little over the summer, main reasons I went for it was it's apparently a pretty decent frame, and got a brilliant groupset, especially for the price.

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

The P.A.M. bikes are quite solid, and that one doesn't look too bad, though it is quite a small frame. The P. series in general from Specialized is a great series of bikes, with the regular P.1/2/3 being suited for dirt (or street dependant upon component spec) and the P.A.M. being specifically a all mountain (or hardcore XC) hard-tail with more refined geometry and part specification. So don't let the P. moniker throw you: it's an AM bike through and through.

I'd personally keep the front derailleur, but maybe switch out your big ring for a bash, dependant upon your riding style obviously. You never know when a bail-out gear will be handy (I climb hills in an 80" gear without issue on the road, but still need to use my granny on the XC bike from time to time). Your riding style will dictate where you take the bike from here though, whether you want to be more of an aggressive all-mountain rider or just a weekend warrior trail guy will tell you what parts to change or keep.

11. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

Rear hub advice

A few months ago I bought a second hand set of wheels from a chap on another forum I'm on.

When I finally got round to fitting the wheels on to the frame I noticed the back wheel sounded a little gritty when spun round, I thought may be the cones where done up a little tight and that I'd adjust it when I had time (I've not been using it, I'm still in the process of building it so no wear will have been put on it since I've had them).

Well last week my new brakes arrived so I decided I'd have a closer look at the back wheel. Part of the reason I bought them was because the hubs had just been overhauled and when I took the hub apart it did have new grease and the bearings looked new too. I thought maybe a little grit had gotten back into them so I cleaned them out thoroughly and got some new ball bearings from the local bike shop.

I put it back together with lots of grease and adjusted the cones and lock nuts until there was no play in the axle but it was spinning smoothly. I re fitted the wheel to the bike but as soon as the quick release is done up the gritty noise comes back, I've tried adjusting it and the cones and lock nuts many times but just can't seem to get rid of the gritty feeling/ noise.

I'm assuming then that the hub is knackered and I need to get it replaced? or is it possible that I just haven't found the sweet spot yet on adjustment?

Last edited: 11 Jun 2011
  12. GeorgeStorm

Yea, the frame size was a slight worry, but since it was medium, and I thought mediums were for guys up to 6" in general, I thought I'd be ok.
    And yeah, I read some reviews and they seemed to be good bikes, for all I know I might end up changing loads of things over the summer since I'm working and so will have the money.
    The current plan is to ride 20miles+ a day on it.

13. Jipa

First time I tried something like this..

[​IMG]

Does it count as a wall ride? You can kinda sorta see the steepness from the end.

14. format

format What's a Dremel?

Just picked this up today for £100
    [​IMG]

Raleigh Reynolds 501 frame
    Cinelli bars and stem
    Shimano Deore brakes

Pretty decent deal I think.

15. Darzol

Darzol What's a Dremel?

Lurked in this thread long enough, about time I contributed.

[​IMG]

Not the best picture, taken on my HTC Desire on a ride a few days back.

Sadly the fork is currently on the way back to Fisher (UK SRAM dealer) for warranty after the Mission Control cartridge blew up. I also know I shouldn't be running 2 x Maxxis cross marks, they just roll so fast. :( Going to change out the bars to something a bit wider and shorten the stem down too. Oh the joys of upgrades.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
  16. Joey-Propane

Joey-Propane What's a Dremel?

My kind of thread. Might as well put my first proper post here seen as I just finished my new bike.

[​IMG]

Specs (more pictures in album):

-2011 Chumba HX1 Frame
    -2011 RockShox Revelation RLT 150mm, 15mm maxle, tapered steerer
    -Hope Pro II hubs, Stan's ZTR Flow rims, DT Comp DB spokes
    -Shimano XT cranks and rear mech, SLX shifter
    -SRAM PC980 11-32 cassette, PC991 chain
    -Renthal SR4 32t chainring, MRP 1X chain guide
    -Hope Tech X2 brakes with 183.160mm blue floating rotors and braided hoses
    -Sunline V1 bar and stem
    -SDG I-Fly saddle and I-Beam post
    -Token lock-on grips
    -Crank Bro's Mallet II pedals
    -Bontrager XR4 2.35" tyres

Only had a couple of short rides to dial in the controls and sort out the riding position, bed the brakes in etc. It's a strange experience, my last bike was a lightweight XC 120/120mm full suspension so going to a 150mm "hardcore hardtail" with wide bars and much stronger, slightly heavier wheels is... unforgiving to my backside.

Still need to cut the steerer down, which will be job for the weekend (unfortunately the weathers been turgid all week so there hasn't been a rush to do it) and the brake hoses need to be shortened.

The frame is a temporary jobby till I get my proper one sorted, then all the parts will be transferred back onto this, a 160mm 2010 Devinci Hectik that is in pieces atm but will eventually be re-powdercoated, lacquered and have a new pivot bearing kit installed.:rock:

17. Jipa

ARGH ffs give me a break already. Since the last post I've wrecked the chain guide and the saddle?! Also the fork is really about to surrender and it's absolutely terrifying to think about the results if it fails when landing a jump.

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

At least you've not ruined your back and foot like I have.

Went with a mate to the local dirt jump park, and ended up pulling a muscle in my back again.
    And then a few days later, my foot started hurting on the top tendon when I walked. Seeing as that's the only place where my foot took some big shocks, we came to the conclusion it must have been that. So nearly 2 weeks now with a slightly dodgy foot, was getting better, and I'd been walking around more, and I've gone a bit backwards today as its aching some more.

Still trying to find some front forks for my jump bike. Every pair either seems to have a steerer that's too short, or is more than I'm willing to pay, or end up being sold to someone else.

19. Jipa

Yeah I know I shouldn't be whining about the broken stuff, but seriously it's getting so bad I really don't feel like riding the bike as it's just falling apart :(

20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Just picked up my new ride, which i've bought under Cycle Scheme:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk

[​IMG]

Taken today, after i took off the crazy number of Health & Safety stickers (Probably why it cost so much)
    It's soo smooth compared to my 4 year old Hardrock Disk.

Sam