1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

ok so i got some **** this weekend as well for riding a fixie. but hear is the thing i rid it because i like it its a fun bike and it makes me happy. i am in no way a hipster i have a proper road bike and i will be in the market for a mountain bike soon (i am open to suggestions)

i listen to country music, rap, alternative, and what ever catches my ear. ive warn bib overalls and drove a big red pick up. i have a car that ive lowered and riced out a bit.

so what im rambling about is that just because i ride a fixie dose not make me a hipster

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

sssssssh roadie :D

3. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

I'm after a little advice for tyres for my Audax bike, winter is fast approching and my old Continental Ultra Gator Skin 700cc x 25mm have served me quite well the last 2 years, however I find my new commute has PLENTY of potholes, is there something perhaps a little comfortable? Could perhaps move to 28mm?

Advice is most welcome!
    700 x 25mm or
    700 x 28mm

Thanks!

4. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

They are good tyres for the job, like you said go wider 28 or 32 if there is enough clearance. Schwalbe Marathons are good but do have a slight tread.

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

28mm will be more comfy but if you've got mudguards there could be an issue there.

6. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I'm thinking instead of buying a fixie, I'll get a 3 speed beach cruiser.. Witch would be funner for cruising around my country town. lots of hills mind you.

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

@Tran3: depends upon what type of riding you want to do. If it's more of an allaround type you're after, go for the cruiser. However, if you're planning on sticking to the roads, and like to destroy your legs, go for the fixie.

[​IMG]
    Did some work to it! Alex hoops on formula track hubs (will be rebuilding both so they're laced differently - think crows feet), dual purple Halo tires with matching axle nuts, shimano 300 pedals (not in picture), shimano 600 cranks, sugino 42t front ring, sugino 16t track cog with lock-ring.

So, yes, it's a true fixie now. I love it.

8. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I've already got enough knee problems, and what seems to be arthritis in the left. not to mention my wrist are screwed, all this and im only 18. hurray for being 275 pounds and riding bikes. fixies are trendy right now. so i may go against the grain and be a little bit more comfortable and give my self a brake. I still think fixies are sexy. and takes mad balls to ride one on hills.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Right, rather than looking through 59 pages, I'll just ask.

I want to get back into biking again, as my life seems to have stalled, and I need to get back into doing things.

Are there any people around Leicestershire that ride??

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Yes - bound to be clubs around there.

11. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

Had a quick blast around Delamere on Friday.
    1st time on a bike scince the 50K mawdach gold rush mountain bike race.
    bloody knackered.

I need to get some time on the bike again.

I need some new kit tho.
    I also need some one to look after the kids, my wife works the weekends (nurse). So that has to be my folks in Preston.

My old bike club seems to have stopped.

Sigh.

Seems to be alot of work just getting to get a ride, let alone finnish the bugger....

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Minimodder

I have an early Pinnacle Stratus 2.0 with front suspension. Not a bad bike for £350.

13. gar

gar Minimodder

Thats nice! I timerial on a fixed. Funnily enough it has vertical dropouts. I filed down the axel to get the chain length correct, but it was still pretty tight. I recently built my winter bike with the same dropouts, but the chain is very limp however it's never come off happily.
    Did yours fit first time, or did you have to adapt it?

14. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

check out www.pinkbike.com

15. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Going to llandegla tomorrow and Windemere for some lakes riding sat/sun.

16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

OK guys, I haven't ridden for a good two years but after a 60% price hike for the buses I need (it's a **** level of service, too) I've decided "**** it, I'm buying a new bike" and I need a little advice.

I'm mainly going to be commuting to work/my girlfriend's house so only fairly short road trips. Nothing too strenuous. I'm off to my favourite local bike shop to see what's available on my next day off but as I've never actually chosen a bike before (my last 3 were recovered and repaired.... it's a long story), what should I be looking out for to get a good deal?

I have a low budget for the bike itself (~£225) so I was thinking of getting a hard tail (not enough money for a road bike and I might want to have a little 'fun' with this one). Good plan?

What measurements matter (hehe)? How do I know what will be a good frame for me?

Anything I should be looking out for?

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't bother with a hard tail tbh, any forks for that kind of budget would just be heavy window dressing. They wouldn't get good enough to take off road and aren't necessary on it also its just something else to go wrong and since its your main form of transport kiss.

Get a rigid bike, you'll get better bits and it'll probably not break in the first week if you can find any one to get you a single speeder that would be worth considering given what you want it for. Hub gears might also be worth a look but i'm not sure they'd be sensible at that price point.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2009
  18. capnPedro

That was my worry with a cheap suspension. Honestly I can do without for what I want it for, but I think I would like the more relaxed riding position... so look at hybrids?

As for a single speeder, the inclines round here aren't exactly big, but I'm not in great shape anymore, so I need the gears!

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 7 Nov 2009
  20. capnPedro

That's the sort of thing I'm after.

Further questions:
    1. For picking a frame size, I'm assuming I'll need a 22" frame (32" leg, wanting a relaxed riding position)
    2. What's a good chain lube? I don't want to ruin another chain with 3-in-1 and WD-40.
    3. Anyone have a recommended helmet/brand?