1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weird cpu symptoms after extreme overclock?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alianyn, 10 Jan 2004.

1. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

axp 1700+ dlt3c
    abit nf7-s rev2.0 bios d1.0(equito modded)
    radeon9800pro
    codegen 400W se psu
    kingston hyperX pc3500 cas2

was working 24/7 @ 200X10 @default everything (needed l12 mod) when i got some nice ocz pc4000 mem 2 review.
    after working on it a bit the cpu was working @ 230X10 and the only thing changed was Vcore 1.7V.
    after much experimentation and tweaking of the timings it memtested fine @ 240X10 @ 1.75Vcore nothing else changed :rock:
    ran some tests (sandra,aida,prime95,pi,3dmark2001se,3dmark2003) and all was fine - temps were @ the proximity of 36-40C (sk-7 with sf-2 and nanotherm blue 2) when i decided 2 bench ut2003 :rolleyes:
    after running 2 of the tests it hung...
    no matter - rebooted but during loading windows it hung...
    i turned everything off - cleared cmos - went 2 default everything including frequencies and put the memtest floppy disk in the drive - all i got was - unbootable disk and it says that nomatter what floppy i put in (the memtest works fine on this comp. thank you), so i try the winXP bootable cd - which starts loading - loads all drivers but gets stuck when it says - "loading windows..."
    only thing that works is getting into dos98 from the win98se bootable cd - but even that gives me only access 2 the h.d - so i tried flashing different bios`s and nothing helped...
    so i figured maybe the high fsb killed the mobo - tried playing with all sorts of voltages and options but to no avail.
    just to be sure i took my cpu to a friend who has an epox 8rda+ rev2.1 and was shocked to find the same symptoms there to...
    could i have borked it? :waah:
    but how can it be - it shouldn`t post then...
    has this ever happened to anyone???
    anyone ever hear about this???
    could the high frequency have caused leak currents 2 destroy the gates?
    anyone? :duh:

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The high speeds probably wont have killed the CPU, and the voltage is well within safe limits on air... the temps are fine as well....
    The board boots with the cpu in, so it cant be THAT damaged, but maybe a slight power surge could have caused this? I've heard of such issues with P4's (SNDS) but never an AMD.....

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

the temps inside the d10 bios are well out, also the vCore on the NF7-S has large "droops", for instance, 2v on my board = 1.96v in bios and 1.95 in MBM5, I've not measured it across the mosfets myself. Everything else overvolts on my board. I've not modded my psu either :)

The voltage drooping could have caused problems for you, I've seen and heard stories of phase changers and extreme overclockers running high fsbs killing processors from this voltage droop. I'm unaware of a fix for it at the moment, but I'll have a look around for something on this issue.

As for your CPU, it sounds like its one for the silicon gods, I feel that the droop is the cause for the death though :(

4. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

oh no - please just don`t say death :waah:
    bahhhhhh - i`ll never get a dlt3c again - mmm... well if anybody knows of a solution for this (as the cpu did not burn out - so perhaps there is still some hope...) i`d b glad to hear, meantime i think i`ll start looking for some unlocked barton - kinda hard to come by here.