1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about the rest of Europe

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Kovoet, 13 Jul 2010.

1. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Actually, this wasn't in the papers at all. It was all done very hush hush. The only reason I know about it is because we have a family friend that works for the local council who mentioned it to us one time while round for dinner. (I believe the person to be a trustworthy individual)

Again, not "daily mail gossip". This happened in my school, one of my friends was Muslim though not a particularly strict one unlike his parents. He told us his parents had phoned the school about it. Another (Muslim) student got into an argument with a group of us because we were sitting eating outside and we "should respect his religion and eat in private or not at all"

I should also point out, I don't even read the Daily Mail. Or any newspaper for that matter. Sometimes I'll pick up the Metro on the train but that's about it.

While the majority of the members of other faiths in the UK do not advocate the 'toning down of Christmas' there will likely always be a small minority that do. The problem is that when that minority does complain or object the councils respond for fear of offending the religion as a whole.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2010
  2. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Im guessing rich creedy is either EDL or BNP we dont need your racist Nazi Ideology in this country my grandfather and im sure many other forum members have family who fought against that ideology,your kind rich will not be allowed to spread your message of hate we do not need racial division or hatred either in this country or the world as a whole.

Yes different cultures have different beliefs they should be allowed to practice those beliefs and cultures wherever they are living whether that be in their country of origin or elsewhere,we have recently been seeing on the news channels about this ban the burka thing well I say if thats the case ban balaclava's as well as they also cover the face and are used frequently by criminals and violent racist communities like the EDL foot soldiers of the BNP. I will be in dudley tommorrow to help stop those racists spreading the message of hate but unlike the EDL the UAF and my organisation NORSCARF will not being using violence we will unite against the poison of racism in a peaceful manner see you in dudley rich

3. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Firstly this is about religion, not race. Secondly, was it Godwin's rule that says as soon as you bring Naziism into a debate, you've basically lost it because you can't handle talking about what's been said, you just have to label people?

I say let people like Rich have their say. Trying to stop people having their say just because you don't like it, well that's what Stalin did, isn't it? Say something against the government and you're on a trip to Lubyanka. So let the BNP and EDL have their 15 minutes, say what they want. Anyone with half a mind will decide for themselves who's right.

If we're banning the burka, should we also ban full-face motorcycle helmets? Oh wait, you have to remove these if you go into a bank or jewellers. Same thing should apply for burkas too and I doubt you'd get very far with a balaclava either, unless you had a shotgun to back it up.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

This is the only point I agree with as far as banning burkas goes. If a motorcycle helmet is a security risk so is a burka nothing to stop a man being in one either. However that is up to specific retailers, I don't think the law bans MC helmets in garages or post offices but they request to take them off to do business there. If the shop doesn't what to do business with a person in Burka they should be free to refuse though i can imagine the out cry from certain areas of the populous.

5. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

And thus we should have a law forcing people to show their faces wherever ID is required,

6. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

agreed well said 1988

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think your following post already gives a pretty good analysis of the contributing causes. Ethnic tension always seems to become an issue when deprivation is prevalent (I don't see many White doctors and surgeons complaining about those darn Asian and African doctors coming here and stealing their jobs, for instance). The UK government, mindful of NIMBY-ism, tends to drop immigrants into deprived areas, partly because it is cheaper than, say, Hampstead Heath, but also because people in deprived areas are much less able --and likely-- to put up good political resistance in a way that makes MP's lives difficult. So we have a tricky situation to start with.

Of course, property developers exploit the issue by buying properties and converting them to HMOs. This is no different from locals living in picturesque seaside and country villages being unable to afford to buy a home in their own place of birth anymore because wealthy Londoners have swooped down to buy their second-home weekend retreats, thus pricing them out of the market.

Third, those poor immigrants have a grudge. Iranians are fleeing a regime that is basically the long-term result of our meddling back in 1953. Same with Iraqi refugees and those from various African countries; they feel that they are owed something by those decadent Westerners that live a quality of life that they can only dream of, built on (as they see it) the exploitation of their home country throughout history. They see us as decadent and depraved, and frankly when I visit Broad Street, Birmingham on a Friday night I can see where they are coming from. Compared to the women of their fundamentalist, corsetted society white girls are seen as whores.

Polish immigrants share a very different history with the UK. They fought on the same side as us against the Nazi occupiers, and they have similar Western ideas. They do not see us as decadent exploiters, but as having a lifestyle to aspire to --although they also regard us as a bit spoilt and lazy.

So basically it's dining table gossip. Sorry, he may believe that he is giving an unbiased, truthful account but that doesn't mean he is.

OK, so we've gone from "Some students and their parents complained that the school shouldn't serve any food Ramadan and students shouldn't be allowed to bring food in." to one student told you his parents had phoned the school about it and one other student had moaned at you.

There is always a small minority of fundamentalist nutters everywhere. The BNP has a few. Now give me facts that councils actually respond to this. And if they do, blame the council, not a whole ethnic group on the basis of the behaviour of a few extremist nutters. After all you don't like to be compared to Daily Mail readers either. ;)

So far it has never been a problem. Why make it one?
    That is not a problem. Muslim women in burkas have no problem showing their face to a female member of staff. There's bound to be a few around, right?

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I think there should be a hole cut out in the crotch of burkas by law- no panties.. security risk solved

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

That's getting ridiculous.

What if a male police officer pulls over someone wearing a burka and needs to check the driver's ID to make sure that the car actually belongs to the driver, or the driver has a license, or there isn't a warrant out for the driver's arrest? They have the right to demand that they show their face to only a police officer with certain arbirtary personal characteristics (being female) completely unrelated to that officer's capability of enforcing the law?

If I was driving with a fake ID, and had on a ski mask, and told the arresting officer that I could only show my face to a police officer that is born in the month of July, would I be taken seriously? Would they accommodate my request?

10. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

I'd have thought driving whilst wearing a burka would be a motoring offence purely on safety grounds, by burka I mean the full on looking through a mesh type jobbie as portrayed here. This type would leave zero peripheral vision and is an accident waiting to happen, basically its the equivalent of driving a car by peeking under the door. The other types of female head coverings that Muslim women may or may not be required to wear, depending on your interpretation of the Koran, are far more suitable for being in control of a car.

11. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Yea sure, and every time a woman with a month card gets in the bus they will surely get a female person out to inspect the identity of that woman before the bus travels any further :thumb:

12. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Surely this is already law, even if it's not used?

I think people should show their faces in public places, and private places at the owners discretion applying to everyone from motor cyclists, gangs with hoodies and scarves, and Muslim lady's. The Hijab is still very modest and the lady could easily go from that to a Niqab as appropriate.

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

:lol: The only problem I can see with this is they might be wearing a false one so you would have to be allowed to prod it with something just to check :worried:

Last edited: 18 Jul 2010
  14. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

The police have publicly stated that this is nonsense numerous times now, it's the schools being over protective, there's nothing legally stopping you if you want to.

P.S. how did France banning Burkhas turn into a full blown debate on immigration?

I for one have no problem with Immigration, there are people who REALLY want a new start, and they genuinely believe the UK is that place. One of my work colleagues has a wife who's dad was an illegal immigrant from India in the 1950s, he snuck in on a ship and worked in a grotty kitchen for about 15 years, he then went on to found multiple restaurants in Manchester and is one of the kindest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He is now very wealthy, well educated, well respected despite being what is known as a 'dhalit/dalit' in India (look it up), he puts more money into the community than anybody else I know through charity events and other means. How very different things would be if he'd stayed in India.

On the other hand, the individuals that are members of terrorist groups and mean the general public ill-will have no right to be here at all.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Jul 2010
  15. Matticus

Matticus ...

One thing I have noticed in this thread, others and just generally across the board is that everyone's view on immigration, religion or race seems to be hugely influenced by the area (well, duh! hehe). I share much the same experiences as stuartpb as Peterborough has a very large immigrant population.

We have a very large Muslim population as well as Sikhs and Hindus who occupy an area of the city near to the city centre, it seemed that a few years ago there was a large problem with violence and crime which was reported to be by 'Asian youths', I myself experienced a lot of hostility when walking into certain areas, with comments such as "**** off whitey, this is our area" etc etc.

I am not sure of the reasons, maybe I have grown up and don't frequent the same areas (or drive) maybe the 'asian youths' have grown up or maybe they are not better integrated into Peterborough, there are now more places of worship, a Mosque had been built not so many years ago. Basically we don't seem to be hearing the same problems about the same group of people.

My main point is that while any person wishing to come to the UK should be prepared to integrate themselves into our society, it shouldn't come at the cost of their own religion.

No Muslim people complain about Christmas, it is idiots who either want to stir up trouble or are so worried that someone might take offense that they go completely overboard. Muslims who do moan about Christmas, or how and when non-Muslims eat are idiots, you know just like those idiots who could also happen to be white, or black or made of cheese and are just trying to be a nuisance.

My personal view on covering your face is that you should be allowed to do it if you want to, but not if it interferes with other people or breaks a law. If you need to be ID'd, you need to show your face, end of story. You simply cannot drive a car with your face covered, it is too dangerous.

16. Teelzebub

I have no problem with immigrants regardless where they are from many come here because of the freedom that they get here.

But I do have a problem when they expect us to change our laws to be more in line with their belief's.

And I really have a problem when you get this kind of thing as in the photos below these people should not be here at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jul 2010
  17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

And they claim to be some form of Christain I say ******** kick back where they came from if they carry on like that. If you don't like this countries laws I say goodbye then

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah I really hope nobody stands for those people. Just too bad a countries can't really choose which immigrants/refugees to let into the country. Also throwing the ones with the wrong attitude back out is virtually impossible.

It's a shame.

19. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I think anyone who openly waves placards like that deserves to be deported immediately. How in the hell do they get away with the (not so) veiled threats? Surely they are at the least, inciting religious hatred, and at worst, inciting acts of terrorism? Seeing people who live here in the UK with spiteful messages like that makes my blood boil.

20. Teelzebub

It's called freedom of speech and the right to peaceful protest, Peaceful what a joke!

Thats just two of the pictures of that protest, I have more.

If we was to do that about islam we would be arrested and charged for inciting racial hatred and be called racist , Let alone the death threats we would get.

And I hate to think what would happen if we did it in their country.

I have to say though NOT all muslims are like this.

Edit The UK gov has said that they will not be banning the berka even though 68% of the people said it should be banned, As said the UK gov haven't got the balls to do it.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2010