1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Yeah I will just wait and see what happens, I spoke to the witness today who was the motorbike behind them and he said I did nothing wrong and that he saw the accident coming. He couldn't understand why the guy had decided to overtake me while I was turning right.

The 86 does look good, I need to go test drive one, but to me there will only ever be one Toyota 86

[​IMG]

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Pics don't do the 86 Justice at all, and words don't do riving it justice. Just don't go expecting something fast... it's not fast...it's just great.

As Top Gear (i think) said ont heir website: It's not whether you should buy one... it's whether youre buying the Toyota or the Subaru.

I read their August edition of the magazine as well, where it comes out on top of an Exige S, a 911 and a McLaren MP4-12C (amongst several other cars) as the best car in the last year.

The missus wants one, I want one, now to find a way to make it happen without selling the Bravo...I might still need ONE more-or-less parctical car.

Edit: Just for those that (slept under a rock ) don't know what car we're talking about:

[​IMG]
    that exact one.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2012
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can't wait to test one of these. Might book a test with my odd half-day of holidays left at work. I think I prefer the BRZ's styling over the 86, but neither are perfect to me (TRD kit all the way!), but it's all about the driving with these cars, and I've yet to read a report that says they're lacking.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

ft86club had a NICE breakdown of the differences, but externally, in short:
    Different front bumpers, different foglights and DR lights. Different headlights.
    The flank is different between the ttwo (the toyota/scion has the boxer logo and the small fake vent, the Subbie has the big fake vent - accents vary absed on config in the Subbie).

The rest of the differences are inside, and might vary based on trim level and region.
    As an example: my contacts tell me that the local Subie and the Toyota both have the same infotainment system on the high spec models.

Different dash accents and seat materials. Some regions don't have the base model pictured here (the UK, for example - it seems that ONLY OZ and SA have this trim level)... that's about it. It also seems like some regions have an 18" wheel option (which is the WRONG one, unless you partake in Track Days a lot)

Personally, I think I prefer the Toyota as is...
    I am (considering/hoping that I can order mine in Feb if the ministry of finance agrees) eyeing the TRD parts, though we only get the "basics":
    Shorter gear lever (WHY??? the normal one is short, and the shorter level shouldn't really shorten the already-short throw), TRD front and tail bumpers, Mufflers, Exhaust shroud, Diffuser and Spoiler... that's it.

The front bumper looks good, but lowers the clearance up front, which is bad news in the rainy season when potholes are plenty.

The quad tailpipes look effing GREAT with the TRD bumper, but together they cost 20K (~1800quid), which is a LOT of money for mufflers that don't add performance. If they change the sound of the engine around a bit, I might be tempted, though.

the diffuser and Spoiler apparently don't effect downforce, but only reduce drag, meaming it's slightly more fuel efficient at high speeds, and has a higher top-end. Considering that I was in this thing at WAAAAY beyond legal limits (215km/h) when the sales rep drove it, I can do without the extra top end, and the fuel efficiency will have to be REMARKABLE to make up an extra 10K those parts cost.

Oh - we also get the TRD fuel filler cap... 0_o

TL;DR:
    If the TRD mufflers make the engine note a bit more attractive, I might spec it in if I get one. Otherwise, they cost a lot of money for what is essentially a cosmetic detail on a car tha I already deem good looking (though Clarkson seems to disagree with me on that). The rest of the TRD parts scream e-peen a bit...

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I think I actually saw one of these on the road this morning. Looking at the Toyota site it must have been orange but it looked a horrible metallic reddish brown in the morning light.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

_THAT_ orange, yes... the one they market all the time.
    I haven't seen one in that colour yet, but judging the colours by what I see online, I'd say the white or the darker of the two grey/silvers are the right colour for the Toyota...
    That is of course until Subaru brings their in Subbie Blue...

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Hey chaps.

I sold the disco, and replaced it with another mini :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lots of plans for it :)

8. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Is it doing 100 mphK if so good effort what engine?

9. Krikkit

I'd imagine the speedo is either kph or broken - you're unlikely to find a wet stretch of motorway that you can take a picture with one hand while two people are passing you at a ton. :p

Looks nice Alex - what's your thoughts on the Disco then, still a recommended buy?

10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

11. Krikkit

Don't believe it all - it reads like an EU-wide MOT inspection (some countries don't have much so far) with only type-approved emission and safety systems allowed (i.e. you fail if you replace the CATs and DPF or deactivate all the airbags etc). Doesn't sound quite so different from the current MOT!

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

AFAIK deactivating the airbags is not currently a fail on the MOT.

13. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Yeah, the speedo massively over-reads. The red dot is bang on 70mph.

I think that a Discovery is a good buy, but the hobby just wasn't for me. Once a month is not often enough to use a car!

Some more pics of the mini:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one shows off how bad the paint is on the front end (the boot lid is the same) - something to sort :)
    [​IMG]

Scirocco likes this.
  14. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Any plans for a new engine ?

15. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

yep, basic turbo engine arriving on Friday, to be ripped apart and uprated all over ;)

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

That wing/scuttle area looks like it might have some filler underneath it, :D :D, the scuttle join looks funny too. It's not a fiberglass front is it?

Looks good from a distance though.

17. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

it is a fibre front, yeah :) (a very badly painted one!)

18. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I started the work last night - first job is removing inner wings, then the crap horn, then do the clutch and.... more.

[​IMG]

19. Krikkit

The fibre front certainly makes it a bit easier! You have a bit of a fetish for red cars though, don't you? :D

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

There's always more, :D :D.......always, :D