1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

at the time a invented 7 new swear words, one of which can only be said whilst drinking from a cup of tea, whilst it started to all go bad! oh so bad!

:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :wallbash:

2. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I was moving a rather heavy Kyocera printer at work and dropped it.

Costs £6500 new, my boss just laughed :hehe:

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Are you the boss then? £6500 printer dropped! id pull my own teeth out if i done that, let alone know wat my boss would do to me!

4. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I'm the supervisor so it's not as serious.

We had been wanting to change the damn printer for ages so it was not such a big deal.

5. slytherock

slytherock What's a Dremel?

The worse I've broke:

I broke a complete P4 1.6 by overloading the PSU. Everything fried exept the floppy drive.

I killed 2 PSU at the same time by bypassing capassitors on the dual PSU I use to have
    [​IMG]
    And 2 HDD 160GB by inversing the 12V/5V after the sleeving

6. bamboo

bamboo What's a Dremel?

VAPO LS broken :wallbash:

7. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Broke a toshiba portege 7140ct motherboard by having the bright idea to solder on ram to the extra spaces on the motherboard for ram.

In retrospect I did gain quite a bit of experience soldering surface mount componets, and I did learn yet another way to kill a Portege. :worried:

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I know your pain.

I broke my 19mm thin Protege 3110CT when I dropped it like a foot and a half in my backpack at school. Nice big crack in the screen. :wallbash:

Only a P2, but was still a great laptop.

9. Kevin_G

Kevin_G What's a Dremel?

Apple IIe - I got a bunch of these from a school auction many years ago and tossed most of them out. Before doing so, a few of them had experiments performed on them. By experiments, I mean attaching small jumper cables randomly between chips. It was surprising as the systems were able to keep on sending a video signal for a long time despite the increase in the number of jumpers installed into the system. Eventually a combination would cause the system to die by either release of magic smoke or melting of the jumper cable itself. Lots of fun.

PowerMac 6100 (overclocking failure)
    Two Biostar Socket A Sis based motherboard (I forget the exact model)
    3D Prophet III (PowerVR based)
    Geforce 2MX

10. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

I've managed to kill two things in a week :sigh: , First my external hard drive died first i thing the power cable went so i went and got a new one on the cheep. i set it to 12 volts and my hard drive still dident work. i took it of of the caddy to test it in the family computer but it dident pick it up, so my brother got out his multi meter to test the power and it turned out the 12 volt setting gives out about 18. the closets setting to 12 volts is 6.

I have a wireless Logitech mouse that works on bluetooth but for know reason the mouse died :confused: . but on the bright side I have bluetooth.

11. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

Ive broken my self... trying to fix a fried old monitor, with my habit to pull thigns apart and try and fix them, whilst being a n00b, i soon found out that monitors still have electrical charges inside them even with the power off...

The feeling as the electircal current burns ur finger tips and travels up ur arm is very painful.... especially when u watch ur arm stop respoding to do waht you want it to.

Besides my self,
    Ive killed a celeron 2ghz/mother board by putting dogey ram inside it, an 80 gig hdd external hd, and a pc power supply and a 686 133... back in the day.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

hehe i had a friend at http://www.zombielan.co.uk/forum/ called Nikumba he blew up his external lacie 1TB hard disc unit, he plugged the power convertor ment for his DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW in to it!

Bang! no more big disc at are events :( well until the warranty comes though! lol!

13. toric334

toric334 What's a Dremel?

9800PRO, while trying to fit a new cooler. It was like on perma-overheat. :p

14. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

alot

monitor

mobo

2 hdd's

old old computer

psu

ill name some more later these school comps exit this page somtimes

15. DarkCreep

DarkCreep What's a Dremel?

Turned on my AMD Athlon 1800+ chip 2 years ago without a cooler, chip fried almost instantly.

Tt 480w Butterfly PSU: Stuck a paper clip in the vent to stop one of the fans because it was too loud. I accidently touched something in there and a spark went flying in the air. Bye bye my great PSU that I had for such a long time. All of the components where fine though.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

My worst has got to be accidentally putting a screw into the core of a brand new Black Ice Extreme III radiator.

Doh!

[​IMG]

17. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

ok last night my old computer died ( well actually it's my dads but he doesn't know that much about computers)
    It was a pentium 2 350mhz in an attempt to sqeeze some extra performance i OCed it as my dad insisted on having windows xp. :duh:
    I guess the power supply died. But it gave a really nice show: a pull of smoke lasted for about 1 min before I heard a dull bang. :D

@arcangel: that doesn't feel good does it? i had a similar experience using our power drill. the extension cord was broken so i decided to fix it asked my dad to pull the plug so i could reconnect the wires and apparently he didn't do that. luckily the release of current wasn't that great but still enough to make my arm contract providing me with a nice bang in the stumach

oh and btw did u know monitors imploding is actually nice to watch. our local recycling store stacked them too highvand they fell :D

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you took i belt from main electricity and only made ur twich. Your hands must have been very dry as the current in a mains supply has the potentail to take your arm off or even worse kill you.

I have touch a main supply, it left me with a burn on my thumb and a hole in the back of my hand between the knucks, i lost feeling in the thumb for 2 weeks. its fine now but every now and then i get a tingling in the thumb.

19. Marcopolo

Marcopolo What's a Dremel?

hey pookeyhead how does it look so bad, toat looks more like it had acid poured on is :S

i managed to fry my 250 gig hdd somehow, i dont think it was my fault but i dunno. the printed curcuit on the bottom just emitted a large shower of sparks and died :(

20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That's clear silicone sealant. When I fitted it to the case, I sealed it in there so every last bit of air the fans pulled in went through the rad, and not through gaps around the edges.