1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the most unlikely game that scared you?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loom, 14 Aug 2008.

1. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

im going out on a limb here and saying far cry, not the whole game obviously but the bit where you start fighting the retarded monster monkeys. i went round a corner and one of the stupid things jumped right at my face, i actually fell off my chair.

2. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

I fell off my chair and ROFL when I read your post!

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Was anyone else scared by Portal?
    Once you get past the test chambers all the writing on the walls and the eeriness (sp? even a real word?) of the whole setting was un-nerving. Also, the boss was pretty scary, can't remember her name. She was done really well though. Damn I loved that game.

4. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I remember playing Vietcong and the tunnel bit made me really paranoid (playing late at night, no lights and had nowhere enough sleep leading up to it). I ended up having a dream that night about the Vietcong having a tunnel network in back garden.

5. BenKxK

BenKxK 4870!

Any FPS when you turn around after being in silence for a while, then seeing someone right in front of you.

6. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

stalker was way scarier than fear IMo. the banging on the bunker door, the levitating objects just to name a few.
    what really took the cake though, was the "lost village". i went there when it was dark (ingame) to see if i could find anything usefull. as i approached a boarded up house i heard a roar accompanied by a bloodsucker which burst through the boards and pounced me. at that moment my knees flinched upwards; hitting the keyboard tray and thus caused the keyboard to fly up and hit my face. up to now i still cant believe how scared i was, i had to take a serious break.

7. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

ROFL!

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

Agreed with the stalker comments. A friend of mine couldn't play RE or 'we dont go to ravenholme' on HL2 because he hates zombies, but he breezed through the labs on stalker, much to my amazement. Then I realised it was because his laptop couldn't handle dynamic lighting. With static lighting it was basically Blackpool illuminations in comparison. I was on a set of stairs in that game for a good few days because I kept loading it up, running down then running back.

Doom 3 wasn't really scary, it had no eerie atmosphere it just made you jump out of your skin occasionally, needless to say my GF took great enjoyment in watching me play scary bits of stalker and doom 3, it was like a film for her with the added benefit of seeing me cack myself.

I very often get "scared" in online games, but its mainly because I know real people are usually better than NPCs so there is a real chance I will get whipped.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

going on this note, i had been playing age of empires a lot and i'd had food poisoning at the time. i went a bit delirious at one point and thought my entire bed was a battlefield from AOE. seriously, i'd gone nuts.

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've been through that as well. I was playing half life 2 and I started getting seriously paranoid about headcrabs to the point that I just had to stop playing. For the rest of the night anything that moved was in my mind a headcrab. Took me back to the days when I used to hide under the covers from Daleks as a kid.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I often get that surprise thing going on in online games. When it's 1v1, and you close in on each other in silence, then everything explodes in violence... Scary ****. :p

12. Jaegar

Jaegar I know what a Dremel is, duh.

How about the diagona from Dark Forces (original in the Jedi Knight series). They are still the reason I hate water levels. Couldn't see into the sewer water in DF, they would just pop up all mouth and teeth and bite your face off. Scared the hell out of me. (I was like 10 at the time). Since then, every water level in every game I play I jump in the water, the jump the hell out really fast. Just to see if anything tries to eat me.

13. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

Yeah, water gives me the creeps too. I was very reluctant to enter the water in Half-Life knowing that there were shark things swimming around and naturally I gave my mouse the involuntary rattle and shake when I was attacked.

14. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

lol
    if that makes you jump, then try shooting the lake (water) in resident evil 4.:eeek:

15. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

It's a long time ago since I played it but I think there was a part in HL just after you'd had your weapons confiscated. There was a small hole in the bottom of the wall and of course temptation urges you to have a look inside.. WHAM a headcrab. :blush:

16. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

well lets see........ kinda embarassing, but a couple years ago I'd been smoking the ganja with my roomy for the past two hours and loaded up the shiny brand new doom..... thats was a mite freaky when the power went out in the base and I was high as hell

and of course fear was some freaky sh*t

also a coupla spots in bioshock, mainly the turn around and find the mofo right behind ya in the lil lab

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

My older brother often talks about the sewer level in DFs being his scariest experience of a game. The Diagonas were just buggered, you couldn't see, hear, shoot or even hurt them until they were in your face and you had about three miliseconds to open fire. Invisible enemies usually piss me off but they just worked really well.

18. strjms72

strjms72 What's a Dremel?

I see that you love the game. I went through this things. I hate spy but you not posted the important information of the forum. The great points are in secret :D.