1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to buy components for self build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by delsinboy, 27 Feb 2007.

1. delsinboy

delsinboy intermediate selfbuilder

should i use many online stores to get the best deal for each component, or get them all from 1 or 2 dealers?

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Depends on shipping costs, go with whats cheaper.

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

It's obviously better to get everything from the one store, if at all possible, but only you will be able to tell if the saving on individual products, outweighs the cost of delivery from different sources :idea:

It's been my experience though, that hardware prices these days are pretty much of a muchness.
    That is to say... you're very unlikely to find a product so much cheaper on competing sites, that it would warrant ordering so many different products, from so many different sources - taking delivery costs into consideration?

If you were just ordering one or two products, then you might still make a saving ordering them from different stores... but not when ordering all the components and peripherals required for a complete system?

I'd be quite happy to add Aria, Micro Direct (both of whom have 'special offers' pages), Tekheads, CCL Online (PC Pro Online Retailer of the Year 2006!), Komplett, and Lowest on Web (Evesham's off-shoot shop) to your list.

They're all worth checking, because it's likely they'll all have something in stock at one time or another, which is cheaper than their competitors are asking for the same product :idea:
    It's for that very reason, that I've ordered from all but one of the stores already mentioned in this thread at one time or another, and I therefore have no hesitation in recommending them to anybody ;)

5. soundcheck_done

soundcheck_done What's a Dremel?

I did this a few weeks ago and found it helped to chart different places and prices

but i ordered all of it from overclockers.co.uk

they were good delivered ontime but got sent a faulty mobo but they were just as good with returns

6. Major

Major Guest

SCAN.co.uk

Cheapest all round prices tbh, and have things that most sites dont.

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

why not bit-techs shop?

8. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

are you there shopping espionage guru?!

Scan mate, use Scan... Good prices and if your doing a 'next gen' build they have finance to!

Scott B

9. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I often find scan are always out of stock of certain parts, since looking to build my new pc (for about a month) they have been.

Overclockers Only ever had one problem with them, phoned up to change a hdd on my order to a 160 GB one only they didnt change the HDD as stated but the PSU :duh: Mean't a trip to the dreaded PC World (will I get banned for saying that?)

Ebuyer They're also very good!

10. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

That'll be why Mother-Gooser already recommended them then, eh :idea:

:D

11. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Didn't see that! Will teach me for posting at 2am :( Sorry

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I can recommend Scan. Always used them. In fact, been using them for over 10 years with no problems.

13. ozer

ozer What's a Dremel?

After a recenty purchase, I can safely recommend you to have a look at
    http://www.it247.com/Category/3/Components
    There seeems to be a great range of different makes and prices for all components! :thumb:

14. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Deppends how much you are spending, in some cases it may work out that you spend more shopping from two e-tailors if you are only saving £30 on the prices due to shipping. However, if, like me, you are spending alot and could save a couple of hundred by splitting it between two stores then, even with two loads of shipping i will save about £150, thats an extreme example but an example none the less.

15. delsinboy

delsinboy intermediate selfbuilder

thanks - i got everything apart from the memory from scan & ram from ginger6.
    no problems whatsoever.