1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Which ADSL service to go for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by severedhead, 8 Feb 2009.

1. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

First up, apologies if this is another which broadband thread, but I'm looking for some advice here.

I've been with Virgin Media's cabled service for some time now (20MB) and honestly can't fault it. I am however moving into a new flat in the next month or so and, annoyingly, it isn't in a cabled area according to the site despite being in the middle of Nottingham (the Lace Market) - so ADSL it is.

After having a bit of a search around I'm probably going to go for O2's "Pro" broadband service (20MB/2.5MB), as its a reasonable cost as I have a contract with them and offer sensible speeds - if the phone line is up to scratch and its not too far from the exchange.

What I want to know is whether any of you guys have an experience or heard any stories about O2's service? I'd be more than happy to hear about other recommendations for ISPs and whatnot though.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you're paying that much, I'd suggest going with Be* broadband's Unlimited package, they're a subcompany of O2, and you get faster up + download. Should be available in Notts.

I've been with them for 3 years now, and I've not had a single problem. :D

3. Akava

Akava Lurking...

+1

Been with them a good few months now and got no problems at all. The extra upload can be really handy too.

4. severedhead

Thats good to know, I'll have a look into that now...

5. Krikkit

The extra upload is the biggest factor for me - it's vital when you share a connection between multiple peers. As it is, with the 1.6Mb upload we can have 5 people surfing and torrenting without trouble. :D

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Another vote for Be*. Been with them for nearly 2 years and never had a problem with the service, reliable regardless of what time of the day it is not to mention fast (up and down).

However I would suggest you get your own router as the one supplied is a bit crap (unless they have changed it since). Make sure though that you have a good line to maximise speed, if you are allowed to - change the master socket faceplace, get this and have a short lead from the plate to the router. I got a speed increase from 17.5 to about 20Mbps (roughly).

7. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

I believe you can get O2 broadband for £7.50 if you have an O2 contract phone, Unlimited downloads and speeds of upto 20Mb, however my friend has just got this package and he struggles to get 5Mb's, maybe this has something to do with the exchange rate, but I don't think so because on the first day he was getting 18Mb's.

8. Krikkit

Probably just a seriously poor contention ratio tbh, with a cheap broadband package you often get shafted like that. At home we have "8Mb" BT broadband which slows to barely 500k when lots of peeps are on it... :(

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's £7.50 for 8Mbps, and 10 for 16Mbps for O2 customers.

we had 8Mbps for a long time, then decided to try the 16Mbps because another person moved in. was getting around 6Mbps on speed tests, after paying extra for a month, still getting 6Mbps. O2 said it's because 6Mbps is the highest our line can do.

but it's extremely reliable, and speed rarely change. web pages come up pretty fast with my own Netgear router and 4 other people, 5 devices using it at same time (extra device is my iphone, playing iMob :p )

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

O2 is really good - I get 8mbit (6mbit in reality though)/ 1.3mb up for £7.80 a month which is crazy (cheap).

11. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Until 2 months ag I would have happilly suggested O2/Be*there. But now at peak times my 6/7mb connection runs anywhere from 30kbps to 120kbps.

The O2/Be network is over loaded at the mo from what I hear and O2 seem to be taking their time is resolving it.

12. severedhead

Still tempted by Be* at the mo, but will have to check that out somehow and see what its like in Nottingham town centre. I'm sure someone at work must be with them.

I'm liking the idea of having £40 credit added to my account until the somethingth of March too.

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'd go for the "Sky" Max or "Be" Unlimited, both offer great connection and true unlimited unrestricted downloads.