1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Who are the 'enemies of the internet'?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 8 Nov 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Anyone spot the similiraties (sp) between the countries? Distinct lack of true democracy.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Pretty sure Iran has true democracy, we just don't call it that for political reasons.

I'm pissed off that Nigeria ain't on that list. The home of the 419 scammer deserves to be classed as an enemy of the internet.

4. quack

quack Minimodder

Yes.

Nigeria doesn't systematically violate online free expression, hence why it's not on the list.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Without security though, freedom is worthless. Perhaps. If the internet is so full of the innocent being scammed, is that freedom worth anything to them(or their scammers?).

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Maybe there should be a "Team Internet: Cyber Police", as long as they were puppets mind.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The US military aren't puppets?

- P

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

"Enemies of the Web?"

ROFL! Some groups just have TOO much time on their hands. Last i recalled, it's a country's choice whether or not to allow net access...

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The internet is far too important to humanity to be left in the hands of mere governments. It's the sort of thing that can really bring about change in the world in a big way. Indirectly yes, but it can effect all of us in a positive manner. People have to be able to access it though.

Net access should be considered a requirement, not a luxury, and in the next 100 years humanity should work to ensure every man, women and child has access to the greatest information repository in the world.

10. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

No, there muppets :hehe:

11. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

I agree with quack. The internet wouldn't be what it is without freedom of expression. The innocent being scammed is always going to happen, not to say things aren't being done about it. Look at the amount of open source software developed to combat this. The underlying principle of the internet is freedom of expression/speech, not security, thats why this list was created, enemies of the principles of the internet.. if u will

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

To be honest it should be free, everyone has a phone line, the line rental should stay the same and include 2mb bb, if you want more bandwidth then u pay.

13. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Iran is just stupid they have banned internet speeds that are above 128 kbps because it wants "to cut west's influence". I mean come on!! Get over yourself! link

Ed

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Irony lol!

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

"military cyberspace" :hehe: what in the world is that? (now I have a mash images from Tron to WOW in my head)

:confused: so no more weapon trading? (I wanted a good axe for Guild Wars)

:grr: I was hoping General Jack O'Neil would be involved. :D

16. MrFusion

MrFusion What's a Dremel?

Ahh...dictatorships

Note that all these regimes with no true democracy are also the ones who block the internet in some fashion. It would seem that they think that if their people know what's going on in the world, they might look at their own government and their own living conditions and want a change. I think blocking or censoring the internet is a bad thing. Freedom to choose is who your leaders are and what you are allowed to do is something everyone must have. Hopefully the internet will spur more countries to see how much better they can be with freedom and things will change for the better.

17. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

Well I live in Vietnam, half of the year anyway. As far as Im concern the net is pretty damn free, it's true there used to be blockage some years ago on political sensitive and sexual explicit sites. But they practically gave up on the effort, because well cant keep up with the sheer number i supposed. Also people in the goverment is rapidly shifting to younger generation which have much more open view. Though if you expect a truly non-sensoring net I'll put my bet on say 5 years time. About the arrest, such thing is not disclosed to the public and in this sense I have to say quite undemocratic, but I know that regarding the Net there are some people arrested for activities like DDOS or hacking of businesses/goverment sites and releasing viruses etc.

18. MrFusion

MrFusion What's a Dremel?

I had hoped the same thing!! Ohwell, well maybe at least we'll get Carter.

19. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

How do you know the USA or UK arnt blocking out certain sites etc and restricting what you see and hear. You dont know what your getting is 100% unrestricted.

Remeber AOL restricted its customers to what they could see, Im not sure if AOL still do. And thats American owned company.

20. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Same as it is a country's choice to advocate the killing (genocide) of innocent people including women and children. That, however does not make it right. Western regimes are under constant scrutiny regarding their censorship activities in order to promote the freedom of speech a democracy requires. Everybody has the right to an opinion and should be able to express it regardless of whether you, I or any other person or organization agrees with it. Freedom of speech is especially important to journalists, who if the need arises should be able to expose a government's transgressions without fear of repression. I know that in reality this is sometimes difficult, but we should, nevertheless, strive towards it. Freedom of expression, like love, life and the pursuit of happiness, is a basic human right, and if we allow it to be denied, the consequences are likely to be dire.

-ed out

Tags: Add Tags