1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win10 users/accounts

Discussion in 'Software' started by Xir, 16 Jul 2021.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

So I've set up a gaming system for the kids (well, they're supposed to get it, but it's mine first) Muaahahaha!

Anyway, I'd like to NOT have the kids use it in admin mode, so I've set an "admin" account, and a secondary "normal" account.

So far, so good.

Now I've started adding games (via Steam)
    Noticably, some games NEED to be run in Admin mode (whateverfor), so they won't run on the kids "normal" account.
    If I log into the admin account, and set the .exe to run with admin rights for all users it doesn't work.

The "normal" user still has to type in the admin password, which:
    a) kinda defeats the sense of NOT giving the kids the Admin password. :rollingeyes:
    b) still doesn't work, the "enter Admin Password" request starts to loop.

• Do any of you run their system NOT in admin-mode? and if so, how do you get the games to run?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm guessing it's anti-cheat stuff trying to access lower-level things than a non-admin user can access.

I can't offer much direct advice, 'cos I'm not a Windows user, but I can at least tell you that - depending on age - giving the kids the admin password rather than an admin account may have to stand as a compromise.

It's basically how POSIX systems work: I'm typing this from an account which doesn't have full permissions, but at any point I can "sudo" ("doas" for the BSD types) myself into complete control. All I have to do is confirm my password - not the root user's password - and I'm golden.

It works, 'cos if I'm doing something I know needs elevated permissions I just type it in and away it goes. If I'm not doing something that needs elevated permission, like I'm just browsing the web, but I get prompted for elevated privileges I know something screwy's happening and it's time to pull the network cable and investigate.

Tell the kids that they are only to type the password in when loading games you've already installed and hope for the best, I guess. Or get 'em to play stuff that isn't bogged down with anti-cheat rootkits...

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I think you add approval for games in the family centre online, can't really remember now, I have only had to do it a couple of times but the admin loop can be a bit frustrating until you figure it out especially with website permissions that stream content from different servers meaning you have to get the right machine root etc rather than full link.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I'm not even online yet, doesn't work locally, let alone online :grin:

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

All the security is centered around the online account in Win10 generally, you would need that to do remote approvals and ease of spying on them etc. :D

Not sure how it would work locally without you inputting approval each time, not nice.