1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Windows 7 Games Compatibility Testing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 22 Oct 2009.

1. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Running W7-64 RC1.

I've had these games working:
    GTA4 (took me about 6hrs of fiddling/Googling, but it worked fine eventually),
    Far Cry 2 (no issues),
    Bioshock (took me about 6hrs of fiddling/Googling, but it worked fine eventually. I see it is listed as OK, but I think it is marginal),
    Mass Effect (no issues),
    STALKER - SoC (no issues),
    STALKER - Clear Sky (no install issues, but after shutting game down and shutting OS, W7 would auto restart to blue screen boot error - every...single...time. Also occasional game crashes).
    Sid Meier's Railroads! (memory issue that appears to be W7 unrelated. Had to decompile EXE and enable the game to utilise more memory).
    Saints Row 2 (no issues, other than the PC version is a huge pile of c**p that no one should waste money on. AVOID!)
    ES4: Oblivion (no issues).

On an unrelated Deus Ex issue, I tried to run it under XP back when my main gaming PC had a 7950GT. Wouldn't run. It would run until the menu screen but the game refused to continue when beginning a game. Runs fine on my 6600GT and Ti4200 (and a friend's 6800GT), but won't with the 7950GT regardless of drivers. Have yet to try it with the 4870. Has anyone had a similar problem with Deus Ex and Geforce 7-series cards under XP?

2. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I'm taking bets that the ATi HD7800-series cards will be released with DNF coupons.

3. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

If only SimTower would work :(

4. cereeee

cereeee What's a Dremel?

Damn I remember this wonderfull old-game, I played it on Mac OS 9, so great!

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Joe, you're gonna hate me for this, but I've been having issues with Fallout 3 on Win7 HP x64. So far, I've found the following:

You can't launch the game straight from Fallout3.exe - it has to be through the launcher.
    The game can't add itself to the Games section - neither through the installer or the tool in the folder.
    When leaving the game (either to the Main Menu or to the desktop), the game crashes. Not a huge deal if you're quitting the game, but it may affect Autosaves (my big worry is it'll corrupt the save)

Thought I should mention it. It may help anyone who's worried.

6. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

It is a fun game, still pretty widely available too. All my new(er) games such as GTA IV, Spore, World of Goo, Portal, Red Alert 3, etc all work, but no amount of compatibility mode will run SimTower. I was going to try XP mode, but I haven't installed it yet as I was considering just using a VM instead.

7. ano

ano 8-bit Bandit

Dunno if anyone's looked for community launchers/patches for any of the won't work games but here's one for Grim Fandango which might work

8. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

I was unable to install Sniper Elite, nor was I able to run NFS: Carbon. anyone else encounter the same issues?

9. Digibull

Digibull Stealth Geek

Nations works fine for me.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i was able to play quake wars enemy territory on windows 7, once i ran in administartor mode

11. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

Virtual XP mode?

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

What about it?

13. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

What about playing Beyond Good and Evil via Steam? Will it run then?

14. BlackBabyJesus

BlackBabyJesus What's a Dremel?

Yes, GOTY.

15. ViperB5

ViperB5 What's a Dremel?

I have a strange one, and it was the same case on vista as well. Railroad Tycoon 3 will not run if it is patched past 1.3. Now what sucks is that 1.4 has the coast to coast expansion. so you install coast to coast and then grab the .exe from 1.3.

Also for those games that have issues with the copy protection the easy way around it is to find an .exe that has had the protection removed. I remember way back when I bought Battle Field Vietnam when it first came out and the DRM would not allow me to run claiming the disc was not in the drive. Ironic that the thing they were trying to stop is the only thing that allowed me to play the game.

16. darklord of chaos

darklord of chaos What's a Dremel?

to be honest I think the review misses out the most important part of getting a game these days to work is the quality of the programing (of the game ) itself NOT windows yes windows does have the odd problem but on the whole it is caused by companies wanting the money and not doing enough testing, neverwinter nights springs to mind out of the box works with vista and xp with the vista 'compatability' patch completely broken on vista and xp

plus windows 7 does not bring much to the playing field you are better off buying that beer fridge you allways wanted for your bedroom/games room/study*

* whatever is appropriate

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's not a review at all, so these issues aren't even considered. It's a feature looking at the problem practically rather than an assessment of worth.

18. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Considering an upgrade, AvP Gold works as long as you have a Radeon card and change one DLL file, but that's XP - any news about 7, whether XP mode or native, in 64Bit?

19. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Windows 7 Professional has the XP compatibility mode as well not just Ultimate.

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I'm willing to bet that gothic 3 would run when patched with the community patches as they remove copy protection. (legally)

Tags: Add Tags