1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Windows dont fill out monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Octane, 16 Nov 2010.

1. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

So I got an LG 22in TV that has a VGA port in the back. It's native resolution is 1680 x 1050. Thats what I set windows resolution to. However before I installed windows 7, I was able to fill out the entire screen from edge to edge. After I installed windows 7 last night, theres about an inch gap on both right and left side of the screen, thats using the native resolution. I tried every other resolution just to see what might work better, and none of them work correctly.

The other problem is in-game resolution (starcraft2), was also set at the native resolution, yet it dont even take up the entire in-game resolution screen, and thats on top of the cut off from windows to the monitor. Anyone have an idea whats going on and how exactly to fix this?

However during boot-up, the Motherboard "ASUS" screen DOES fill up my entire monitor. Its only when windows boots up, does it not fill out the screen.

Rlevent info:
    GeForce 8800GT : Latest Driver (as of yesterday)
    LG 22in LCD TV Native res: 1680 x 1050
    Windows 7 x64, res: 1680 x 1050
    Core2Duo 3.0ghz Wolfdale
    ASUS P5P43TD

2. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

Heres a picture of the problem. The red marking indicate the edge of the screen.

[​IMG]

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

A common problem when TVs are used as monitors. No idea why it's suddenly doing it in Win 7 however, but getting a proper monitor would be my advice. Even a cheap monitor will be better than that. That's very low res for a 22 screen.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

There should be an Overscan option in the nvidia control panel, which should allow you to widen the image to fill the monitor.

5. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

I've been doing research and everyone tells me theres an overscan option for nvidia control panel. I dont see it at all. I'm using 206.99 driver, latest. I double and triple checked every menu. I even tried TVtool, but it not compatible with windows7.

6. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Try setting the Aspect ratio on the LG to "Just Scan" its on the small menu where you can quickly change just a few settings.

7. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

I see the just scan under aspect ratio, however its greyed out along with a bunch of other things in the OSD. What exactly does the aspect ratio do?

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Aspect ratio defines the relation of width and height to each other. E.g 16:9 is an aspect ratio, as is 4:3.

Dumb question: Is VGA the only available input for your pc on the tv? You could get a lot further with either DVI or HDMI.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

is the native res actually 1680x1050 as ive never seen a "TV" with that kind of res and your TV looks 16:9.

usually its something like 1366x768, 1280x720, 1920x1080

what model TV is it ?

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i believe adam may be correct, normal tv's are not 1680x1050 natively

looking at your picture and guessing from shape of screen i would say its an LG M227WD, which has a 1920x1080 native resolution.

Linky

11. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

You would be best buying a DVI to HDMI cable, thats what I've got on my LG tv with my comp. I presume your LG has a HDMI port.

12. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

I only have the options of 4:3, 16:9, and Full. I'm currently running on full. I do see Just Scan, but its grayed out so i cant choose it.

The TV model is 22LG30-UA. It has AV, VGA, and HDMI. There is no DVI port so I had to use an DVI adapter to VGA. When I got my 8800, DVI just started to come out and wasnt popular enough for TV's to have those ports yet.

13. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

The picture's not doing it justice, its actually a bit wider than what the pic portrays. Its the 22LG30-UA. I double checked the native resolution is 1680 X 1050. Both in Windows 7 and Nvidia Control Panel, its tells me such as well.

14. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

When I set it to 16:9, I not only get the side bars, I get top and bottom bars too.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Unless you're using the HDMI input for something else you just need to get a DVI->HDMI adapter (very cheap) and you're set. DVI carries both a digital and an analog signal and HDMI is fully compatible with the digital portion of the DVI signal.

By the way, according to the spec sheet "Just Scan" (1:1 pixel mapping) is only available for HDMI, Component and RF (antenna) inputs. Oh, and the native resolution *is* 1680x1050.

16. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

a TV with 1680x1050 (16:10) how strange.

unfortunately that means squat - installed a PC the other day and the PC thought the screen res was 1360x768 max and it is actually 1366x768 therefore had to create a custom resolution to get it to fit right.

the screen wants to be on full not 16:9 or 4:3 since 1680x1050 is 16:10.

looking at the specs of your TV its a bit odd. it says native res is 1680x1050 but lists the aspect ratio as 16:9 ????.

can you use the auto scan on the TV to adjust the VGA image ?

17. Hazmatt

Hazmatt What's a Dremel?

check the ratio settings (on monitor i think, not sure) and resolution on computer