1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks wireless antena cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gascan1888, 8 Feb 2008.

1. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

i want to extend my wifi antena a little and was wondering if there would be any problems using coaxial cable?? i wouldn't think there would be much of a problem since its shielded. i'll have to see what kinda sma connectors i could get. i'm just not sure if there are any reason this wouldn't work well.

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

without the right equipment the loss from the connectors will kill your signal. I know its not the bit-tech way but buy premade, they arnt expensive.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/b...arch_003&Ntt=reverse+SMA&Ntx=&_requestid=1562
    or

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11751

Sorry for UK links, but they should let you find what you are looking for.

if you do want to make it yourself you need Reverse (sometimes called RP/Reverse Polarity) SMA, a socket and a plug (obviously) and some small gauge coaxial cable such as RG174, you can get RG58 connectors, it has less loss but its much bulkier.

3. Gascan1888

hhhmm ok. it was just an idea casue i have alot of coax layin around. but ill look around to see what premade ones i can find.

4. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

what sort of coaxial do you have. CNT-400 or LMR-400 have low loss and can flex a little (cant go around a tight radius).

5. johnmalc

johnmalc That shouldn't happen....

As even the best made cables have rated losses of 1.3dBm/metre you don't want long ones...

6. Gascan1888

i remember for sure but im pretty sure its not low loss.

7. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

You will need to impedance match the cable, otherwise the SWR will be really bad. The connectors are just part of this, the right coax is the other.
    Another problem is getting the length of the cable right to get a good SWR.

Unless you are a radio enthusiast, the premade cables really are the way to go.

Tags: