1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Xbox 360 Slim Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jul 2010.

1. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Not quite:
    It runs cooler
    the console itself is quieter, which is better if you install games to the hard drive (there's more room for you to do that too)
    WiFi is onboard
    it has a natal power connector.

It's not much, but it's better than nothing, no? Noone billed this as the next Xbox, it's just a refresh.

2. richoooo

richoooo What's a Dremel?

Yeah. Good one mate. Real incisive.
    You read anything about the specs?
    You writing without acknowledging any facts?
    Bitter?
    Angry?
    And do you even know what the "emperor's new clothes" fable means?

3. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

OMG your so right as I sit here with enough computing power to launch the space shuttle but every game that comes out on the PC is some DX9 Unreal Engine 2 lame console (360 to be specific) port.

I play more MODS than publish games now a days , great job modders as you are the beacon of light for PC gaming.

4. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Seems somewhat bizarre you didn't test the load speed/noise with HDD installed games.

with my 120GB 360 i install all games to the HDD without exception because of the amount of noise it cuts out, faster loading is just a bonus ^^

5. roadie

roadie What's a Dremel?

May pick one of these up as a media centre. Much cheaper than building a low spec HTPC.

6. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Better off with a PS3...you can use discs without getting tinitus! Not to mention the ability to put the largest laptop hard disk you can afford into it without paying for a console-specific one...

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Let's see:
    40+ games at home, broken 360.
    40" Bravia TV that was bought to play games and watch DVD's on.
    I reckon this 360 is a winner for me, actually. More quiet (when not loading off the DVD), apparently cooler, slightly smaller, built in wireless and HDMI (which the old one didn't have). Less power consumption too. Add to that the pricetag that's the same as the elite right now, and a bigger HDD, and you have a winner on your hands, pretty much.
    Woudl I upgrade if mine was still working? Probably not. But as it stands my investment in the platform is too great to just abandon it, and the improvements are enough to make me wait for this one rather than buying an Elite/arcade right now.

9. Phuul

Phuul What's a Dremel?

As a launch Xbox 360 owner I've been looking to upgrade the hard drive. When this was announced I was thinking that I might just upgrade. Nothing I have seen however talks about the ability to transfer game saves, videos, DLC etc. from a previous system. As far as I can tell I can get a new drive for the current system, the 250GB one which is the only one with a transfer cable, but if you can't transfer existing data to the "Slim" that seems a bit of a problem.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I'm pretty sure the same thing happens with the 360 S; you get a transfer cable to move anything and everything to the new HDD. Don't forget about transferring licenses though.

If I am mistaken though, and it does not come with a cable (and you don't want to obtain one), just use a USB pen. It might take a while, but it's pretty fool proof.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hmph too bad they still impose a limit on your USB drive size.

12. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

clearly you never played ARMA2 then... stop crying over the DX nature of the games and actually play a proper PC title thats not for consoles. Then you will be happy.

13. YM SinSTAR

YM SinSTAR What's a Dremel?

I'll stick with my Elite for now me thinks. Not to sure about the design Microsoft has chosen for the 'Slim'...kind of looks like someone has melted an elite and laquered it with PVA glue.

14. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

If people bought more pc games, then developers would start taking advantage of DX10/11 instead. New consoles will only bring about a temporary revival in graphics quality. Within a year or so, the pc graphics will once again be streets ahead of the consoles.

15. lilreaper88

lilreaper88 What's a Dremel?

Am I the only person who has never had anything go wrong with their Xbox 360. I have barely an noise coming from my Xbox 360 Elite, and it never made a lot of noise before I installed some of my games on the HDD. Even with my new games which aren't installed it doesn't make any noise. I also haven't suffered from the RROD. It has to be something wrong with them because mine has always been fine.