1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Yet another monitor decision thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam_bagpuss, 17 Apr 2015.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Hi all,

so i did post a while back around what monitor to get but never ended up buying one as i haven't quite finished my office yet.

I think i have the requirement nailed down now (he says)

24-27" Screen size
    1080p (edited to help decision)
    under £350
    VESA supported as it will be wall mounted on a single ARM bracket.
    3D is not required

My current GPU is AMD 7950 and i use a BenQ 21" 1080p 60hz TN screen

Im open to IPS and 144hz TN as both provide a different kind of benefit. My only use is gaming really and the games vary. I do mainly play 4x or strategy games but do play FPS or action orientated games, Im not hardcore as i work for a living.

Ive looked at freesync but its stupidly expensive for a 144hz TN panel and i dont like the 40hz minimum. I dont update my GPU often (2-3 years) so some games do dip below 40FPS.

I like the look of IPS but is the lag really noticeable on FPS/action games ?

thanks,

Adam

Last edited: 17 Apr 2015
  2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I was about to start a very similar thread, so I thought I would piggy back yours. I'll be using a GTX980 or a Titan. I'm considering the Acer Predator XB270HU as well as the usual Dells.

3. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

TBH I think you need to narrow down whether you'd like 1080p or 1440p or at least the preferred size (24 or 27"), otherwise there are too many options!

Personally, I think 24" @ 1080p is still a sweet spot as it's not too pricey for dual or triple screens and you don't need mad GPU power to game. With a 7950, 1080p is easy but 1440p will be a struggle.

4. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I've got a Dell U2412m (IPS) and haven't noticed any lag with FPS games (with a GTX970).
    Though I don't know how representative of IPS panels that is...

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

thoughts on this screen

Samsung 27 Inch LS27D590CS

gets decent review is a Super VA panel - not too epensive either. slightly larger which is better for me and 1080p so dont need all that GPU horsepower