1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16mm pipe through Cablemod 24-pins ATX

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Allubz, 21 Jul 2021.

?

To Pro or non-Pro?

1. Pro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. non-Pro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

Dear all,

For a rather compact build I'm looking to guide a 16mm OD pipe through the 24-pins ATX connector. It'll be rather close to the motherboard, so there is not too much distance for the cable to realign, but with a cheap 24-pins extension cable I made it work: https://imgur.com/a/tkYNEse

Especially in the second picture, you can see that the individual cables near the pipe tend to bulge over their neighbours. I would like to keep this a single row (so 2x 12 rows for the ATX connector, no extra rows). This seems possible with the 24-pins extension cable.

My question is whether Cablemod non-Pro and Pro-series would be able to do this. Does anyone know? I tried emailing this question twice to Cablemod and they're simply like: "Unfortunately we cannot test that. I apologize for the inconvenience." - Honestly, this seems ridiculous to me for a company that specializes in cables for watercooled PC's. It's not a hard question to answer, but it's an expensive question (€200+) for me to get wrong.

I have the idea that the Pro-series will be too rigid to allow this, but I am hoping this is not true as the Pro-series look nice than the non-Pro, as far as I can tell.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Sorry what is it exactly you want to do? I'm a little unsure.

If you want to keep its current orientation, then the stiffer cable the better. I would get 12-hole combs (2 rows of 6) put either side of where the pipe is to help with this, but stiffer cables are more likely to hold their shape. You would just need to distance the combs right to get the desired effect. If you didn't want those other combs, you could try a spot of glue in between the cables to keep them in place for a more hidden way.

Or when you say you want to keep it to 2 single rows, do you mean have the cable twist 90degrees so that you have 1 row of 12 either side of the pipe? Then twist back or another 90degrees to the 24pin? Could be a more interesting run. A more complex shape like that would probably require completely custom cables made on site to get the lengths right to account for the twists.

3. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your response!

What I want to do, sorry for being unclear, is actualy what is in the picture I supplied. I'm happy with how it looks in the picture, but I'm not sure whether the Pro-variant of Cablemod can do this, without creating extra rows (as in, I want to keep the typical 2x12 setup, not have cables pop over or under).

The idea of getting two 2x6 combs is a great idea to keep them fit on the sides.

You say stiffer cables are more likely to hold shape, but my concern is whether a 16mm pipe can be forced through such stiff cabling at all, hence my question.

Splitting it sideways in 1x12 setups is madness, I didn't even think of that yet. I'm not sure if it would work (due to the tight space) or look good, but it's an idea I'll have a look at.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh you'd be able to get it through fine, you'd probably just need to adjust how far apart the combs were either side of the pipe to allow the right amount of flex. The stiffer cables can also be "trained" so if you tie them up in a certain position for a while they will conform to that shape.