1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays ~24in 1080p+ IPS Monitor for <$300 US

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LordLuciendar, 27 Apr 2012.

1. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Which means that LGJoel, who seems like an LG representative, flat out lied when asked on LGs Q&A here, question #7. This is why it is so difficult to find this sort of information, manufacturers stonewalling at every turn. I just chatted with Acer about their panel, they "helped" me by providing me with a link to the list of their US retailers...

This sort of thing frustrates me to no end... We'll see what happens when the monitors arrive, I might just deal with it, I might crack the case to see what panel is used.

2. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Having dealt with Asus (not Acer) Canada on a few occasions- I have nothing but good things to say about them. Phone support is great (and local)- and they always followed up my call a week later to make sure I was happy with the level of support etc. Looks like Acer is also doing a good job of answering questions. Always a good thing in my book.

4. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

perhaps you misunderstand me. Acer support is horrible... I just happen to have gotten lucky through the channel, i.e. I called the guy I buy from at distribution, and he walked over to the Acer rep's desk and asked them in person. Usually though, the reps at that level don't have this sort of knowledge, usually, this sort of knowledge is reserved for the engineers who designed it and the factory floor... and people who are willing to disassemble them.

Before I got this answer, I spent hours browsing their site, which is slow and doesn't provide much information. Then I tried to decode their model numbers for any hint, but no luck either. I searched reviews of the monitor, which yielded little, and of course, this thread. Finally as a last ditch effort I contacted their support, which led to me being presented with two links. One to the list of specs which didn't have the info I needed, the second to where I could buy the monitor. The conversation was also thoroughly frustrating. Then finally, my rep emailed me with this... I was shocked they even had the knowledge to give.

As for ASUS, I have had poor experiences with long... long... wait times for RMAs in the past, but it was over 4 years ago that I last had any RMA contact with them. I called them with a support question recently and their response was excellent, now I'll have to wait and see if they actually fix the issue with a BIOS update.

Maybe I am biased though. As a member of the Intel Partner Program at associate level (I think it's called Gold now) for a long time, at a shop that used all Intel motherboards, when I RMAed boards, I got advanced, next day replacement for up to 10 boards. I had a rep, who I would call to ask questions of regarding support and who was excellent, and an excellent support network only a phone call away. Noone has ever lived up to that level of support in my book. When I had to RMA an Intel motherboard after I left the shop I got some BS line from the RMA department and they refused to replace the board, so it's probably a channel only thing. My biggest complaint about most companies is that they either have crappy channel support, or it's impossible to find. [/RANT]